You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Yecknod

Please fix auto pilot.

16 comments in this topic

[YECK]
[YECK]
Members
14 posts
5,895 battles

Why dose auto pilot oversteer by 15-20 degrees then shake back and forth for another 10-15 degrees?  It's stupid.  No nation would allow a steersman to take the helm who couldn't steer to a given bearing.  

[YECK]
[YECK]
Members
14 posts
5,895 battles

I know I can.  the question is why does the auto pilot oversteer in the first place?

[WORX]
Members
1,633 posts
12,669 battles

From what I understand. In auto Pilot,  Its easy to go at a straight line, however, when ever you try to enter in auto pilot a DD tight turn for a BB, its not happening. Its not auto pilot fault its user error in thinking a tight turn can be made in the first place. I dont think Auto Pilot can be fix in that regard.

[YECK]
[YECK]
Members
14 posts
5,895 battles

If the cpt tells the conn steer a direction ... he steers that direction.  Why can't auto pilot do that?  It's basic.  

"Come left to 245 degrees."

If the helmsman oversteered to 230, then overcorrected 290, then stayed on 285 until he was 3km from the waypoint, he'd get fired.  

It's not rocket surgery.  If you tell the conn to steer a direction (AKA autopilot) they should come to that course and hold true.  

• Boring 1

[-WPG-]
Members
727 posts
3,133 battles

Totally agree. They should burn development cycles and add a bunch of lines of code for an "optimal" steering autopilot, because you weren't paying attention to the minimap. 

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
143 posts
1,813 battles

or you could set way points up to five of them [Shift] +left mouse and now you will never over steer again and better yet you won't ram anyone oops you don't intend to. Arrgh!

[YECK]
[YECK]
Members
14 posts
5,895 battles

@CaptDavidwaypoints in the auto pilot like that oversteer as well, as far as I can tell, and they overcorrect for ships in your path within 1.3 km.  Unless I'm missing a setting ...

@DouglasMacArthur Thanks, I didn't even think about how hard it would be for the programmers to figure out how to tell a ship to steer a particular course.  It's so arduous ... esp in the face of tracking the RNG of shells from 30 ships with multiple barrels in a single battle shooting at eachother, then calculating the odds that those shells with those pen values hit a ship at an angle to do dmg, and calculating the armor and shell pen ... and all that ... clearly programming a ship to go on a particular bearing is waaaaaaaay too much to accommodate.  

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
228 posts
7,409 battles

Skynet isn't operational until 1997, you're going to have to control the helm yourself in the meantime.

[NCBL]
Members
50 posts
7,504 battles
4 hours ago, Yecknod said:

Why dose auto pilot oversteer by 15-20 degrees then shake back and forth for another 10-15 degrees?  It's stupid.  No nation would allow a steersman to take the helm who couldn't steer to a given bearing.  

Agreed, this shouldn't be an issue.  Co-op bots can dodge everything but a simple course correction seems impossible on a player ship.  WG is busting chops.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,397 battles

Auto pilot and collision avoidance  work together to avoid other ships and land masses and will swing left and right to avoid a collision the faster your speed the greater the swing and correcting back to set course takes awhile and longer at speed. In some instances it will allow a friendly ship to push you aground or into enemy sight and or fire. It will run straight from point a to b if there are no obstacles. 

Members
705 posts

Not to mention that the ship will bleed speed with all the drunken helmsmanship.

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
143 posts
1,813 battles

@CaptDavidwaypoints in the auto pilot like that oversteer as well, as far as I can tell, and they overcorrect for ships in your path within 1.3 km.  Unless I'm missing a setting ...

@DouglasMacArthur Thanks, I didn't even think about how hard it would be for the programmers to figure out how to tell a ship to steer a particular course.  It's so arduous ... esp in the face of tracking the RNG of shells from 30 ships with multiple barrels in a single battle shooting at eachother, then calculating the odds that those shells with those pen values hit a ship at an angle to do dmg, and calculating the armor and shell pen ... and all that ... clearly programming a ship to go on a particular bearing is waaaaaaaay too much to accommodate.  

Sorry I have had no issue with this.

Members
964 posts
5,682 battles
6 hours ago, Yecknod said:

I know I can.  the question is why does the auto pilot oversteer in the first place?

Probably because they don't want to program and tune a PID controller (Proportional Integral-Derivative controller) to work well for each ship's speed, inertia, turn radius and rudder shift.

Members
1,476 posts
659 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Probably because they don't want to program and tune a PID controller (Proportional Integral-Derivative controller) to work well for each ship's speed, inertia, turn radius and rudder shift.

WHOA.  PID controller.  Not a phrase I hear outside work.

Probably true though.  It is likely a one size fits all autopilot.  That means it won't react the same for a BB as it does for a DD.