You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gledr

what freemium ship to get?

22 comments in this topic

[EREKT]
Members
57 posts
3,298 battles

have enough coal to get musashi but also will soon have enough free xp.

Wondering if Missouri will come back as free xp / coal ship or if there will be better things to get with either resource?

Thoughts

[ENDVR]
Members
370 posts
5,218 battles

Doubt Missouri will come again, but I’m waiting to see the Alaska/Jean Bart situation

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
615 posts
7,709 battles
27 minutes ago, SmokeHenge said:

Doubt Missouri will come again, but I’m waiting to see the Alaska/Jean Bart situation

Same thing here.  Stacking up both coal and Free XP until they announce those two.  If they cycle out Musashi, we'll probably get a warning like they did Missouri.

[EREKT]
Members
57 posts
3,298 battles
30 minutes ago, SmokeHenge said:

they can easily bring Missouri back  ex take off radar, or give it hydro instead or good secondaries.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
13 minutes ago, gledr said:

they can easily bring Missouri back  ex take off radar, or give it hydro instead or good secondaries.

That would be like lighting the server room on fire and calling it a patch. Premiums rarely get rebalanced and, paradoxically, the OP ones are least likely to be simply because of the fact that people who already have it would be livid. Besides, radar isn't what made them pull the Mighty Mo, it's the mint installed in the citadel.

• Funny 1

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
615 posts
7,709 battles

Roughly what we would see

giphy.gif

• Funny 2

Members
322 posts
6 battles

I wouldn't bother with the Musashi. It's a slightly nerfed Yamato which you can get without spending all that free XP. Nelson is a lot of fun, unique, and significantly cheaper.

• Cool 2

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
38 posts
1,387 battles
2 minutes ago, pinkship9001 said:

I wouldn't bother with the Musashi. It's a slightly nerfed Yamato which you can get without spending all that free XP. Nelson is a lot of fun, unique, and significantly cheaper.

Nerfed AA and accuracy, but with the same caliber guns at Tier 9.  Musashi is still a fun ship, but Nelson is also such a troll (to the enemy team)...

• Cool 2

[EREKT]
Members
57 posts
3,298 battles
30 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

People would riot.

make a different version, they don't have to get rid of the radar for people who already have the missouri

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
3 minutes ago, gledr said:

make a different version, they don't have to get rid of the radar for people who already have the missouri

Probably what they would do eventually to be honest, but right now they're probably testing Alaska to be at least the temporary solution. Then, after a long while when some new lines are in and other nations get their tier 9 freemium, then we'll probably see New Jersey in-game with its own gimmick.

YES! WISCONSIN WITH CRUISE MISSLES! Sorry i get excited for the Wisconsin. 

Oo! Or AA-barge Kentucky with DP 8 inch guns!

[-WPG-]
Members
737 posts
3,145 battles
1 hour ago, gledr said:

They didn't take it away because it was overpowered, they removed it because it prints credits and too many people having it would upend the economy.  

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
2 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Oo! Or AA-barge Kentucky with DP 8 inch guns!

That was the unfinished fifth Iowa, wasn't it? IIRC she was also a testbed for the very early guided AA missiles, the ones so unreliable they're no better than the AA aura of some Tier IX and X cruisers. The missiles would reach out further, but their DPM is much lower. I have argued and will continue to argue that Terrier BW-0, the original winged beam-rider, and possibly Seacat, COULD be balanced within the game, but I can see why they choose not to.

In the OP's shoes, if I badly wanted Musashi I'd be inclined to get her with coal and save the FXP for something else. The decision to buy Musashi with anything at all, however, rests firmly with the OP. I myself don't want her; I spent my FXP on Nelson instead as soon as I had enough, but this is primarily because my highest-point captain (now a 19 pointer) was British, and having another premium UK ship made much more sense (and still does if I want to grind him for elite captain points).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
231 posts
7,409 battles

Alaska or Jean Bart with free XP.

Salem with coal, T-X freemium with T-VII running costs yes please.

The Mushi Mushi isn't terrible but the actual Yamato is by far superior especially with the legendary module which you cant get on the already gimped Musashi.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That was the unfinished fifth Iowa, wasn't it? IIRC she was also a testbed for the very early guided AA missiles, the ones so unreliable they're no better than the AA aura of some Tier IX and X cruisers. The missiles would reach out further, but their DPM is much lower. I have argued and will continue to argue that Terrier BW-0, the original winged beam-rider, and possibly Seacat, COULD be balanced within the game, but I can see why they choose not to.

There were actually a few different conversion ideas for Kentucky floating around. The one you mentioned is the "BBG" version, while a full fleet-carrier conversion was also contemplated. I'd like the carrier as a possibility to fill in a high-tier gap if there's ever a USN CV line split, but barring that I was actually talking about this concept:

anti_aircraft_cruiser_battleship_uss_ken

"Because I hate planes, and you should too." -Yuro

No, do not adjust your monitor. That is an Iowa-class battleship with SIXTEEN 5"/38 dual mounts, its three main turrets replaced and fitted instead with four rapid-fire 8" guns courtesy of a modified Des Moines design, and in all likelihood covered in more 40mm Bofors and smaller mounts than you can shake a stick at. Now I like playing carriers, but if this was in-game I would not mind at all for the simple hilarity of it.

Members
150 posts
10 battles
4 hours ago, gledr said:

No. Then it wouldnt be MO. Get out of here with that.

Members
333 posts
5 battles
4 hours ago, gledr said:

Are uh... are you dumb? Mo wasn't replaced because of the radar it was replaced because she had an ungodly silver gain... though wargaming will never admit that was why it dissapeared. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I'm honestly surprised that people still keep harping on radar as Missouri's problem and reason for being pulled. It was the credit potential, plain and simple. You know it, I know it, Yuro knows it, former President Jimmy Carter knows it, the world knows it!

• Cool 1

Members
705 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Bah, Terrier was kinderspiel. Give me an Albany CG, prefrrably Chicago (CG-11) with twin AN/RIM-8E Talos (with optional nuclear warhead) fore and aft and twin AN/RIM-24C Improved Tartar port and starboard any day. The long arm of the fleet, as we used to say.

What the heck, throw in the AN/SPS-48C radar just to annoy the DD's and the CV's.

Oh, and don't forget the NTDS to coordinate the whole team's AA defense. Make the whole map a PIRAZ.

Now that would take some balancing... :cap_win:

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
1 hour ago, No_Sky_Cancer said:

Bah, Terrier was kinderspiel. Give me an Albany CG, prefrrably Chicago (CG-11) with twin AN/RIM-8E Talos (with optional nuclear warhead) fore and aft and twin AN/RIM-24C Improved Tartar port and starboard any day. The long arm of the fleet, as we used to say.

What the heck, throw in the AN/SPS-48C radar just to annoy the DD's and the CV's.

Oh, and don't forget the NTDS to coordinate the whole team's AA defense. Make the whole map a PIRAZ.

Now that would take some balancing... :cap_win:

Yeah, I know, but with Talos able to cover all maps from end to end and then some, the chances of getting it in the game would be minuscule.  As for NTDS, isn't that sort of built into the game already with the "one sees, all see" mechanic?

It's basically a Baltimore C hull, isn't it? About 3M XP to research, 20M to buy, and limited missile loadout.

As for the nukes - 2km radius = instant sink, 5km = all zones lit on fire and blast concussion starts flooding, 10km = HP bleeds off at the rate of 500/min as the crew suffer the results of radiation sickness, and all radar is permanently disabled for the rest of the battle. Nuke round takes 2 min to load from the time of selection, with a cooldown of 10 min, and the launcher it's assigned to is useless until the Nuke Talos is fired. Nuke replenishment cost is 10 million credits per shot.

We can dream.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Beta Testers
1,013 posts
13,583 battles
8 hours ago, pinkship9001 said:

True.....sans money making ability. I have both and tend to have more fun in the Musashi especially when top tier.