Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fastwolf66

Preventive maintenance protects secondaries?

8 comments in this topic

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
267 posts
8,705 battles

I was pretty sure to have read that it DOESN'T, even WG changed the skill description to make that clear, but on the recommended skills article on the main wows page, it says that preventive maintenance is good for BBs to protect the secondaries and AA guns... anyone knows for sure? or is an errata on the article?

Literally: 

Preventive Maintenance

• If you're running a pure secondary armament build, this skill will make sure to keep as many of your guns as possible up and running throughout the battle.

Preventive Maintenance reduces the chance of incapacitation of all your ship's modules (including secondary weapons) by 30%.

Thanks

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,814 battles

As much as I remember it does not, PM only works on modules that can be disabled & repaired. Secondaries are either alive or dead.

[WORX]
Members
1,632 posts
12,647 battles

@Fastwolf66

According to the WIKI. No it does not cover secondaries, it does cover

Preventive Maintenance

Reduces the risk of main turrets, torpedo tubes, steering gears, and engine becoming incapacitated.

In other words, it prevents you from getting the incapacitated medal when the other player has it in his cpt skill. One thing for sure, it does not protect against secondaries from being destroyed.

Edited by Navalpride33

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,138 posts
3,080 battles

Wouldn't it be nice if WG implemented a secret ninja buff on the captain skill to cover the secondaries too? :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
4,731 posts
5,464 battles

Why would you even consider any advice in that article? They recommend PT over PM on destroyers(PT has it's merits on gunboat DDs that will be spotted a lot, but PM generally has more value as you won't lose guns, engines, rudder, and torps as often), LS over AR on cruisers. They tell you to avoid DCFCA on cruisers as "It's only good for spotting things behind islands".  They're actively recommending against the utility of an extra set of eyes in the sky for both torps and ships hidden around islands... Every cruiser in the game that can't mount radar has a float fighter, and the high tier cruisers can take spotter planes(which have a larger orbit than the fighter). DCFCA, outside of radar cruisers, is well worth one point.

They recommend IFA for battleships. IFA! Probably the most useless skill on the tree outside of some of the CV skills.

I give them credit for not mentioning Emergency take off for CVs, but no mention of DFE or ERG. Didn't recommend CE for CVs(lets you get the CV closer to the front so you can cycle squads faster).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[WOLF3]
Members
5,881 posts
2,193 battles

No, it does not.  Nor AA.  I made this mistake until recently and have rebuilt a few ships as a result.

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

PM's tooltip states exactly what it protects, and it's the same info posted on the wiki

3 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

@Fastwolf66

main turrets, torpedo tubes, steering gears, and engine

Members
1,773 posts
17,335 battles
4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

In other words, it prevents you from getting the incapacitated medal when the other player has it in his cpt skill.

No it doesn't...it only cuts the percentage 30%...you can still get incaps & destructions & you still get the incap ribbons for it.

In a DD I wish it did prevent incaps...no more having to worry about running for my life after trying to torp a BB or cruiser because his 2ndaries took out 1 of my torps racks (doesn't even need to be a destroy...just an incap restarts the reload cycle (after you DC or wait)...either/or your torp run has just become an exercise in futility)...much more guaranteed sinks or (for BBs) at least close enough that 1 fire or a couple of shots will get the job done in quick order.

In a BB on the other hand I am just fine w/it the way it is...for the same reason of course...nothing better than watching that torp icon fly off into the air when a DD (or cruiser) gets the drop on you...doesn't matter whether it is red or gray at that point...it's just a case of...whew...#wipesbrow

Sign in to follow this