You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

T8 dd Ranked Play

Best T8 DD to used in Ranked Play as of 8/18  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What is the current best Tier 8 dd to use in Ranked Play and why?

• Benson
    • Kagaro
    • Akizuki
    • Z-23
    • Kiev
    • Hsienyang
    • Premium ships (Kidd, Harekaze, LoYang)

15 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,802 battles

Was wondering what T8 dd everyone else is running in current Ranked Play.  The LoYang was a terror last Ranked battles, but radar has made her smoke less effective.  Kagaro is map dependant, some maps she's good, others not so much.  I'm defaulting to my tried and true Benson but so is everyone else it seems.  Ranked play really doesn't seem to favor the play style of the Z-23 or Kiev.

What do you think of the Kidd?  Worth the $$ for Ranked play?

[WOLF8]
Alpha Tester
1,030 posts
4,357 battles

I wouldn't buy a ship to play ranked, especially since tier VIII is capped at rank 16. Personally I really enjoyed the Kiev while I was able to.

[WAG]
Beta Testers
673 posts
5,400 battles

harekaze, benson or kid. for ranked you need multi role ships, with good stealth, and these 3 offer the closest you can get to a true jack of all trades, without sacrificing too much to be good at a certain thing.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Asashio is the only legitimate pick here :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 3

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
615 posts
7,709 battles
40 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Asashio is the only legitimate pick here :Smile_teethhappy:

Someone's gotta snipe the CV from 20 km ;)

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,317 posts
11,420 battles

Lo Yang 

Benson ROF. 

US smoke. 

Sonar. 

Played 2 matches and got 2 wins to get to rank 15....

Dam I was having fun....

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,317 posts
11,420 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

Was wondering what T8 dd everyone else is running in current Ranked Play.  The LoYang was a terror last Ranked battles, but radar has made her smoke less effective.  Kagaro is map dependant, some maps she's good, others not so much.  I'm defaulting to my tried and true Benson but so is everyone else it seems.  Ranked play really doesn't seem to favor the play style of the Z-23 or Kiev.

Lo Yang is a good sporting destroyer that can launch 9.2 km area denial toros that slow or stops a push.

I capped the far cap and then spotted for team, flexing back as needed.

Open water smoke up and burn those BB's down.

A very team player for a destroyer.

Note: 18 point captain from my Tier 10 destroyer. 

I played her as if it was a clan battle and my teams supported and played the same.

I finished 4th and 5th. If we would have lost. I wouldn't have kept a star.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
1 hour ago, GX9900A said:

harekaze, benson or kid. for ranked you need multi role ships, with good stealth, and these 3 offer the closest you can get to a true jack of all trades, without sacrificing too much to be good at a certain thing.

I would argue that the Akizuki can also fit this description.  OTOH, I do NOT think that the Kidd fits this description because it's badly lacking in a strong torpedo alpha strike capability because, unlike the Akizuki, it lacks the torp reload booster which allows the Aki's single launcher to perform like she actually has 2 launchers. And on top of that, the Akizuki is perhaps the most powerful gunboat of all tier 8 DDs.

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
546 posts
5,094 battles
2 hours ago, AMajor said:

Lo Yang is still just as strong because there is not a lot of radar ships being used in t8 ranks. Kidd is a weird spot where you have the gun power of the fletch for dd to dd fights, but unless you can judge torp angles appropriately she lacks in hiting power. Kidd is one i would say is worth if you expect a cv.

[WAG]
Beta Testers
673 posts
5,400 battles
11 hours ago, Crucis said:

I would argue that the Akizuki can also fit this description.  OTOH, I do NOT think that the Kidd fits this description because it's badly lacking in a strong torpedo alpha strike capability because, unlike the Akizuki, it lacks the torp reload booster which allows the Aki's single launcher to perform like she actually has 2 launchers. And on top of that, the Akizuki is perhaps the most powerful gunboat of all tier 8 DDs.

akizuki is also very slow, and very vulnerable to radar. in randoms shes my fav t8 DD, but shes not able to switch flanks fast enouph if something goes really wrong. i also prefer to use torps as a area denial weapon, so kidds single launcher seems sufficient for that role. i dont think it would be to hard to use akizuki in ranked, but i dont think its fast enough to be a 'best choice' for ranked.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
48 minutes ago, GX9900A said:

akizuki is also very slow, and very vulnerable to radar. in randoms shes my fav t8 DD, but shes not able to switch flanks fast enouph if something goes really wrong. i also prefer to use torps as a area denial weapon, so kidds single launcher seems sufficient for that role. i dont think it would be to hard to use akizuki in ranked, but i dont think its fast enough to be a 'best choice' for ranked.

I'm the exact opposite.  I rather dislike the Akizuki in randoms, but love her in Ranked because she's guaranteed to not face anything of a higher tier than herself.  As for torps as area denial weapons, I'm not a big believer in that.  I believe in using torps to cause actual damage.  If they miss but have the effect of area denial, do be it.  But my real goal is to get torps hits. 

If all you're trying to do is area denial, you're putting all your hopes for victory on your team's heavies because you're not really trying to cause major damage with your torps.   Hey, if you get lucky and get a team with competent heavies who do enough damage that your DDs aren't needed to be big damage producers, good for you.  But the reality is that you WILL occasionally end up in battles where your team needs its DDs (or at least one of them) to step up and do major damage.  And, IMO, this is where the Kidd falls short but the Akizuki can shine.

Members
321 posts
307 battles

I am using Kiev with good results, but I assume for spotting something stealthier would be better

[CAST]
Members
1,397 posts
5,794 battles

I (once again) tried using Lo Yang, but I wound up going back to my tried & true Kiev.  Set up for maximum daka plus maximum speed (with speed boost module upgrade), it just offers options which no other ship at that tier can bring to the table.  On maps with an outlying cap you pretty much automatically get it.  Even if it ends up being contested your speed means you get there first, your torpedoes load quickly enough to throw them in the direction of your enemy, and your smoke enables you to break contact since there's pretty much no way a radar cruiser is going to get there fast enough.  If the team needs help on the other side of the map you have the speed and gun range to provide it.  If any opposing DD is foolish enough to try 1v1'ing you, just kite away while blasting him with your laser cannons balanced Soviet guns.  Really, your only weaknesses in this environment are going to be self-inflicted: eating a torpedo that you failed to anticipate or getting cornered by multiple enemy ships.