You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

worcester legendary upgrade - who use it?

19 comments in this topic

[TNG]
Members
813 posts
6,173 battles

anyone uses the worcester legendary upgrade? i just got it but hestitate to give up concealment for extra 4 sec of radar...

[INTEL]
Members
6,629 posts
25,330 battles

Don't have that one yet and not actively pursuing it. Losing CE for a meager extension of radar/ etc? Bad idea.

Flamu did not care for it either in his review video.

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles

Not I, I don't have wooster. I have no upgrades for any tier 10 ships that I own though because I don't really play at tier ten yet, I"ll play them when I have them all I suppose, maybe.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,626 posts
14,017 battles

Looks like a stupid trade.  Stealth bails Worcester out of trouble and it helps her leverage her Radar / Hydro to their fullest usefulness.  A lot of these upgrades are pretty much outright insulting garbage, so I guess it's normal.

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles
20 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Looks like a stupid trade.  Stealth bails Worcester out of trouble and it helps her leverage her Radar / Hydro to their fullest usefulness.  A lot of these upgrades are pretty much outright insulting garbage, so I guess it's normal.

I found it useful on the Zao and felt I should sell the one I got for my Hindy. I guess only 2-3 upgrades are good and everything else is not even a side grade. 

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Most of them appear to have decent uses, But for the vast majority, especially the ones sacrificing CSM1,  appear to require large shifts in playstyle; lesser concealment usually means hard "open water" plays. 

Likewise those that takes the T9-10 mod slot is a sacrifice of DPM, through straight RoF or the ability to keep a target within Firing Ranges.

Considering it's the T8+ Mod slot or the T9+ Mod slot. The tendencies looking at the LU stats are "double-down" on either the defensive aspects of the T8+ slot or the offencive aspects of the T9+ slot. For the few ships where the slots either match the defensive or offensive aspects, majority consider it a "good upgrade" (Zao and Yamato come to mind). 

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,584 battles
35 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I don't have Worcester but I wouldn't use it. 

I rally don't know what WG was thinking when they designed the so-called "legendary" upgrades. With only a couple of exceptions their use actually nerfs a ship (at least how the ships are now played). I think that this is the problem you get when you balance a ship and its modules and then try to tack another module on later on without making the ship that uses it too OP.

Edited by Snargfargle

[PVE]
Members
8,859 posts
7,257 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I rally don't know what WG was thinking when they designed the so-called "legendary" upgrades. With only a couple of exceptions their use actually nerfs a ship (at least how the ships are now played). I think that this is the problem you get when you balance a ship and its modules and then try to tack another module on later on without making the ship that uses it too OP.

The Unique Upgrades are supposed to be side grades to enable a different type of play.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,859 posts
7,257 battles
1 hour ago, _Dracarys said:

anyone uses the worcester legendary upgrade? i just got it but hestitate to give up concealment for extra 4 sec of radar...

Here are the numbers for the Worcester Enhanced Countermeasures that goes into slot 5.

With CE module in slot 5

Concealment with camo, CE skill, module 9.5km

RADAR  40 seconds, 9.9km

Hydro 100 seconds, 3.42km torp, 4.92km ship

DFAA 40 seconds

The Unique Upgrade gives extra duration on three consumables; +10% RADAR, +20% Hydro, & +20% DFAA.

Concealment with camo and CE skill 10.6km

RADAR  44 seconds, 9.9km

Hydro 120 seconds, 3.42km torp, 4.92km ship

DFAA 48 seconds

If you use the Unique Upgrade (10.6km concelment) and the RADAR special mod in slot 2, you have almost a minute of RADAR.

RADAR  52.8 seconds, 9.9km

Hydro 120 seconds, 3.42km torp, 4.92km ship

DFAA 48 seconds

If you use the Unique Upgrade (10.6km concelment) and the Hydro special mod slot 2, you have almost 2 1/2 minutes of hydro.

RADAR  44 seconds, 9.9km

Hydro 144 seconds, 3.42km torp, 4.92km ship

DFAA 48 seconds

If you use the Unique Upgrade (10.6km concelment) and the DFAA special mod in slot 2, you have almost a minute of DFAA.

RADAR  44 seconds, 9.9km

Hydro 120 seconds, 3.42km torp, 4.92km ship

DFAA 57.6 seconds

So you are trading 1.1km of concealment for +4 seconds of RADAR, +20 seconds of Hydro and +8 seconds of DFAA.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
10 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The Unique Upgrades are supposed to be side grades to enable a different type of play.

Mhm. Of course the emphasis is on the "supposed to be" here. The fact that so many of them go into slot 5, and thus compete with the much loved CM1 which so many feel is necessary in this refrigerator-dominated meta puts a damper on a lot of it.

That said I'm looking forward to the unique upgrade for Hindenburg, and while Worcester's certainly isn't a "must have" the hydro and DFAA improvements in particular are tempting me.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,325 posts
11,458 battles
2 hours ago, _Dracarys said:

Good for clan wars as it extends duration to radar and sonar.

[PVE]
Members
8,859 posts
7,257 battles
5 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Mhm. Of course the emphasis is on the "supposed to be" here. The fact that so many of them go into slot 5, and thus compete with the much loved CM1 which so many feel is necessary in this refrigerator-dominated meta puts a damper on a lot of it.

That said I'm looking forward to the unique upgrade for Hindenburg, and while Worcester's certainly isn't a "must have" the hydro and DFAA improvements in particular are tempting me.

I think that putting them into slot 5 or slot 6 blocked out those other upgrades which was to balance them I believe.

Hindenburg  Enhanced Repair Party slot 5

Hindenburg with the Concealment upgrade in slot 5

12.1 second rudder shift.  With slot 4 SGM2 you have 9.7 second rudder shift

76.5 seconds Flooding time w/ premium consumable. Add in BoS skill and you get 65 seconds of flooding

30 second Fire extinguishing time. Add in BoS skill OR DCSM2 in slot 4 and you get 25.5 seconds of fire. Add in  both BoS skill and slot 4 DCSM2 and you get  21.7 seconds of fire.

-20% main battery repair time with the MBM1 upgrade

12.3 km concealment with CE skill and camo

Hindenburg with the Unique Upgrade in slot 5

9.7 second rudder shift.  With slot 4 SGM2 you have 7.7 second rudder shift

23 seconds Flooding time w/ premium consumable. Add in BoS skill and you get 19.5 seconds of flooding

18 second Fire extinguishing time. Add in BoS skill OR DCSM2 in slot 4 and you get 15.3 seconds of fire. Add in  both BoS skill and slot 4 DCSM2 and you get 13 seconds of fire.

-20% + -70% main battery repair time with the MBM1 upgrade (take repair time and multiple by .8 and then multiply by .3)

13.7km concealment with CE skill and camo

I don't know how long it takes to repair the main battery and I couldn't find anything on that on the Wiki.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,817 battles

For a bit longer radar (the important one) & other assorted consumables you lose stealth radar, lower detection than the Zao, & and -5% on incoming shells. IMO definitely not worth it.

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,584 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

I could see that if they actually were side grades for the most part. Now, some of them may be. However, the one I've gotten and have tested seems somewhat useless in normal Random and Ranked battles. The upgrade decreases rate of fire by 15% for guns and 5% for torpedoes in exchange for a better concealment of .3 km. In most games nowadays at tier X there are from 2-5 radar ships with about 10 km radar range. When these ships are detected it's usually at or near their radar range so they know there's a DD near and pop radar to spot it.

On the chance that I run into a DD first, like the Shimi, which has a lower detection than my Gearing, I almost immediately detect it anyway as we usually are converging. The only way such a small detection range difference would be of any consequence were if one ship was stationary and the other was slowly creeping up on it, something that rarely happens. What's much more important in a Shimi vs Gearing surprise encounter is that 15% rate of fire increase without the module.

Edited by Snargfargle

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,626 posts
14,017 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

So you are trading 1.1km of concealment for +4 seconds of RADAR, +20 seconds of Hydro and +8 seconds of DFAA.

1.1km of concealment >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> +4 seconds of Radar.   Especially at the speeds Worcester can work a DD down.

You also lose the ability to guarantee, without a doubt, that a DD that spots Worcester is within Radar range.  I may as well play DM instead.

The rest of those extra times are meaningless as Radar Active time is the only one people really care about.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
Members
8,859 posts
7,257 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

1.1km of concealment >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> +4 seconds of Radar.   Especially at the speeds Worcester can work a DD down.

You also lose the ability to guarantee, without a doubt, that a DD that spots Worcester is within Radar range.  I may as well play DM instead.

The rest of those extra times are meaningless as Radar Active time is the only one people really care about.

I just provided the numbers. Use it or not, but at least you know what you are trading.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Given the proliferation of Shimakazes and DDs with twin launchers at tier 10, I'd actually argue that the +20 seconds of Hydro is the most important stat. 4 seconds of radar? That's just over enough time to type "4 seconds of radar", that's not a big change in the grand scheme of things. 8 seconds of DFAA is nice, but hardly necessary until you run into that one in a million match with two Midways on each team or something, so that's not a big deal either. But Hydro? Yes, I'll take an extra 20 seconds of long range torp detection and close-range anti-smoke vision please.

On the subject of radar and other consumables what people care about is a bit skewed from what actually matters.

[PVE]
Members
8,859 posts
7,257 battles
4 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Given the proliferation of Shimakazes and DDs with twin launchers at tier 10, I'd actually argue that the +20 seconds of Hydro is the most important stat. 4 seconds of radar? That's just over enough time to type "4 seconds of radar", that's not a big change in the grand scheme of things. 8 seconds of DFAA is nice, but hardly necessary until you run into that one in a million match with two Midways on each team or something, so that's not a big deal either. But Hydro? Yes, I'll take an extra 20 seconds of long range torp detection and close-range anti-smoke vision please.

On the subject of radar and other consumables what people care about is a bit skewed from what actually matters.

Put the Unique Upgrade and the Hydro special mod and get 144 seconds of Hydro.