You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awiggin

This question must be asked....

27 comments in this topic

Members
9,871 posts

I find this somewhat disconcerting myself. I can imagine that players who play ranked find it down right annoying. 

WG is selling ships and captain bundles for ranked, with 6 point captains? :Smile_amazed: 

In what world does a ranked player want to see a guy with a 6 point captain on his team?:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

[WOLF8]
Alpha Tester
1,043 posts
4,378 battles

What should really burn the brain pain is why push bundles on people when they're only good up to rank 15.

• Cool 1

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
412 posts
11 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I find this somewhat disconcerting myself. I can imagine that players who play ranked find it down right annoying. 

WG is selling ships and captain bundles for ranked, with 6 point captains? :Smile_amazed: 

In what world does a ranked player want to see a guy with a 6 point captain on his team?:Smile_hiding:

True, a six point captain is pretty awful especially in a match where every ship matters.

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,894 battles

Good thing they didn't know I was playing with a Monarch with no hull and gun upgrades. They however are upgraded now.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

I always stress out over the perfect captain build... only to go in a RANKED BATTLE and have a freaking Montana with rpf

[WOLF5]
Members
1,499 posts
2,069 battles
2 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

I always stress out over the perfect captain build... only to go in a RANKED BATTLE and have a freaking Montana with rpf

It could be worse, like IFHE. I mean I can see his logic (not that I agree). CE is the first skill obviously. CVs are rare, so AA build is out. The next logical choice is fire prevention. But if fires don't bother him as much as DDs, RPF is not ridiculous Maybe not the best choice, but it could be useful.

And yeah, 6 pt captains aren't going to help matters. But if they were 10 pt captains we'd all be yelling PTW (rightly IMO). Ranked is supposed to be be for skilled players. People who need to buy a premium and a 6 pt captain aren't skilled. I don't mind (well, maybe a little) if WG makes money by encouraging people to play T8 premiums, but leave it in Randoms. Ranked should not be for the casual player, so don't market Ranked packages to them

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,180 posts
12,873 battles
4 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Ranked is supposed to be be for skilled players. People who need to buy a premium and a 6 pt captain aren't skilled. I don't mind (well, maybe a little) if WG makes money by encouraging people to play T8 premiums, but leave it in Randoms. Ranked should not be for the casual player, so don't market Ranked packages to them

I don't think you understand how businesses work :)

Advertising 101 - Create a demand … sell into it :)

Edited by Commander_367
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
615 posts
7,709 battles
49 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

What should really burn the brain pain is why push bundles on people when they're only good up to rank 15.

Does this mean we'll see Conqueror bundles with Demolition Expert already selected? :Smile_Default:

[WOLF5]
Members
1,499 posts
2,069 battles
1 minute ago, Commander_367 said:

I don't think you understand how businesses work :)

Yeah, I know, more ships sold equals more money. But isn't it enough to fill T8 with potatoes who don't know the difference between AP and HE and leave Ranked alone, or at least not actively encourage the potatoes to go there as well? I mean you would think that it might be worth more not pissing off the good players than selling a few more premiums. Clearly WG realizes charging money for products isn't all there is to a successful business because PTW isn't a thing in WOWS (and the few exceptions were quickly shut down), so it isn't crazy to expect the game mode they aimed at skilled players to keep that focus.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,499 posts
2,069 battles
5 minutes ago, Optio_Praetorii said:

Does this mean we'll see Conqueror bundles with Demolition Expert already selected? :Smile_Default:

And IFHE, with the W key disabled.

Jeez I'm a bit salty tonight, and I haven't even played a Ranked game this season.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,180 posts
12,873 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

Yeah, I know, more ships sold equals more money. But isn't it enough to fill T8 with potatoes who don't know the difference between AP and HE and leave Ranked alone, or at least not actively encourage the potatoes to go there as well? I mean you would think that it might be worth more not pissing off the good players than selling a few more premiums. Clearly WG realizes charging money for products isn't all there is to a successful business because PTW isn't a thing in WOWS (and the few exceptions were quickly shut down), so it isn't crazy to expect the game mode they aimed at skilled players to keep that focus.

Look at the bright side, 

Those virtual floaty boats sell for a lot of cash - this helps support your game and maybe you get to kill them when they're on the other side :)

It's only up to rank 15 anyways

[-WPG-]
Members
743 posts
3,145 battles

At least 6 point captains are OK to put on older ships you keep, or to start a new line. I put one on my Dallas and then Helena and got him to 10 points fairly quickly.  The Arsenal ships come with 3 point captains.  A Salem or Musashi with 3 point captains. That's stupid.  What's the point? To train players how to dismiss captains?

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles
Just now, DouglasMacAwful said:

At least 6 point captains are OK to put on older ships you keep, or to start a new line. I put one on my Dallas and then Helena and got him to 10 points fairly quickly.  The Arsenal ships come with 3 point captains.  A Salem or Musashi with 3 point captains. That's stupid.  What's the point? To train players how to dismiss captains?

I couldn't understand the reason to put a captain on the premium ship Salem in the first place, a three pointer just seemed laughable. Same with Musashi, just weird. 

Beta Testers
2,849 posts
4,088 battles

can't forget those special  BBs with survivability expert.

1orsil.jpg

[WOLF2]
Members
1,180 posts
12,873 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

And IFHE, with the W key disabled.

Jeez I'm a bit salty tonight, and I haven't even played a Ranked game this season.

Ever noticed how every event provides another excuse to sell crates, ships, etc. for those who don't have the time to finish it :)

These events are money makers as much as they are swag for active players - Russians ftw

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
615 posts
7,709 battles

At least one of the bundles isn't the Asashio, wouldn't want an influx of new people firing deepwater torps at enemy DDs and cruisers. :)

Wonder how many will take the Roma into Ranked.  Don't see it too often in Randoms

[WOLF5]
Members
1,499 posts
2,069 battles
44 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Look at the bright side, 

Those virtual floaty boats sell for a lot of cash - this helps support your game and maybe you get to kill them when they're on the other side :)

It's only up to rank 15 anyways

All true. I'll be past Rank 15 pretty quick anyway.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,764 posts
12,470 battles

I am not bothered by it at all but it does bother me that others would be bothered by anything thing sold in the shop for any reason nor be bothered by those purchasing items and using them however they see fit. 

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
615 posts
7,709 battles
7 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I am not bothered by it at all but it does bother me that others would be bothered by anything thing sold in the shop for any reason nor be bothered by those purchasing items and using them however they see fit. 

That's a long (and funny) sentence to read while drinking :Smile_Default:

• Funny 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,764 posts
12,470 battles

@Optio_Praetorii Posts that are started for absurd pessimistic gratification such as this need be castigated by responses such as my rambling discourses. 

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
8,952 posts
7,305 battles

So if I play in ranked, which of these do you think should I take?

Atago CA with PT, EM, SI, CE, PM, DCCA

Kii BB with PT, EM, BoS, FP, PM, AFT

Alabama/Massachusetts with PT, EM, BoS, FP, AFT, AR

Richelieu BB with PT, AR, BFT, AFT

I left out a few T8s and ALL the DDs as I'm reluctant to inflict my DD play on randoms. I'm thinking the Atago as I tend to do the best with it, but I have done alright in Alabama as well. I haven't played the Mass much in PvP.

Members
567 posts

If I ever decide to play again I will take my Mino out into ranked with no camo a 1 point captain and sail to the wall.

I am an  Az8 hole and the spoiling of your game is my Dream.

I enjoy all your Rage and discontent.

Why? Because I can and there is nothing you can do about it but come here and Rage.

PS....... I also collect your downvotes here in the forums gladly. Why? You only get so many and if I can get them you have less to give to others.

• Cool 1

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts

The ranks start at 23 if you're new. That's a fair amount of newbie ranked. This promotion of Ranked packs will net them some $$, and we only have to put up with it til Rank 15. After only a few battles, I'm at Rank 15, so none of that will matter from tonight.This was such an easy cruise that I didn't bother to transfer in my best captains. 

• Cool 1

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

oprah.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
588 posts

Kind of strange as they are selling 10 point Captains in Arsenal and have done so before with ships.    No Biggie IMHO

I would recommend the Massachusetts Ranked Pack.   Fairly easy ship and for an extra dollar 7 days of premium and some consumables if you play ranked.   If newish then play co op and watch a lot of Alabama and Massachusetts videos.  Then play Ranked.....can't do much worse than what I saw tonight.