You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wulfgarn

Those playing Ranked this season, what ship type will you play?

Those playing Ranked this season, what ship type will you play?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship type do you plan on playing?

• Battleship
    • Cruiser
    • Destroyer
    • Carrier
    • I do not plan on playing Ranked this season
    • Bacon does a body good

36 comments in this topic

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

I've been playing the Yamato up to rank 10 and it's gone well, gonna see how the meta evolves and keep trying to fill the weak points I see teams consistently have.

Edited by Deviathan

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,817 battles

So far I'm hopping around a few ships to see which one is the most comfortable.

[BIAS]
Members
3,052 posts
9,046 battles

I want to learn the zao more and get better with it, so plan on using it primarily. 

Of course all of that is subject to frustration

• Funny 1

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
232 posts
3,261 battles

Started out playing Cleveland,  but its just not a strong enough ship against  the horde of BB's in T8 ranked, even after i moved my only 19pt capt.  In it.  

So I've  switched to Bismarck.... 

The jury is still out. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,342 posts
11,500 battles

Gearing. Shimla. Z52 Republique, zao and hindy....

Maybe des Moines. 

Members
8,085 posts
17,047 battles

Likely Akizuki; though my first match wasn't very auspicious...

Yolos, mehs, and me not managing to do much until I burned down a Monarch (for no star loss,) WAY past when the game was already gone...

[ARGSY]
Members
5,870 posts
4,001 battles

Cruisers (Edinburgh, Cleveland) are all I have at Tier 8. I have no Tier 10 ships as yet, so my stay in Ranked will be short this season.

So God help me, I bought the Neptune and am on my (very slow) way to the Minotaur. By the time I get there, I should have accumulated enough silver to buy her and enough elite captain XP to move my 19 pointer into her.

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,905 battles

I seem to do better in the DDs but I am grinding Monarch. Haven't even played a Cruiser yet. There have been a lot of BBs I was thinking maybe Asashio.

[DANKY]
Members
445 posts
1,565 battles

Playing what I’ve got, which means Ognevoi and Khaba. So far Ognevoi is going great! Who knows what happens when I get to the t10 phase, I don’t have enough time to get more than a game here or there anyway. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
2 hours ago, DarkStormy said:

Started out playing Cleveland,  but its just not a strong enough ship against  the horde of BB's in T8 ranked, even after i moved my only 19pt capt.  In it.  

So I've  switched to Bismarck.... 

The jury is still out. 

Stormy, it's weird.  I started at rank 16, and so needed only 2 stars to get to 15 and out of tier 8 ships.  But in those 2 battles (2 wins in 2 battles), there were very few BBs.  2 per team in the first, and 1 per team in the second.  I think that the most I've seen thus far was 3 per team and that was only once at rank 15 (tier 10's).

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I seem to do better in the DDs but I am grinding Monarch. Haven't even played a Cruiser yet. There have been a lot of BBs I was thinking maybe Asashio.

The Asashio seems super situational for Ranked.  Your value is going to be directly proportional to the number of BBs per team.

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,905 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The Asashio seems super situational for Ranked.  Your value is going to be directly proportional to the number of BBs per team.

There was 4 BBs in every raked I have played so far and then I played Assashio 1 time for a win but there was only 3 BBs.

shot-18_08.25_17_45.05-0027.thumb.jpg.01258ccfb11c5f3f7c0ec7cf352bda61.jpg

I was the last player against 2 BBs and was first place on the team. Killed a DD and a Cruiser too.

shot-18_08.25_17_45.11-0297.thumb.jpg.4bf9b2387272aed82f4a9d05b852c8e5.jpg

[PSP]
Members
6,044 posts
8,585 battles

I seem to do better, and do better for the team, when I play a DD. Thus far in the tier X part of Ranked I'm having good luck with my Gearing. I might take the Des Moines out too later on.

Edited by Snargfargle

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles

I'm only playing to get 15 and the flag.  I started off in cruisers with my Kutuzov.  I quickly moved to destroyers because there are hordes of Asashios out, and it seems hit or miss getting DDs.  I'm not a strong DD player, but I'd rather bet on me, than bet on some of these folks I have seen playing Asashios.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

I was excited to play some of my favorite tier 8s, but it was extremely anti-climatic.  Only played a few games and ended up at rank 15.  I have decent selection of T10 ships, will probably stick with Moskva using upgraded radar and Zao as back up, see how that goes.

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
3 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I'm only playing to get 15 and the flag.  I started off in cruisers with my Kutuzov.  I quickly moved to destroyers because there are hordes of Asashios out, and it seems hit or miss getting DDs.  I'm not a strong DD player, but I'd rather bet on me, than bet on some of these folks I have seen playing Asashios.

Well, crzyhawk, if you get lucky and have a battle with only 1 BB per team, and you're in a gunboat DD and there are some Asashios on the other team, they're little more than meat on the table if you're a decent DD player.  There's no doubt that an Asashio can rack up some nice  damage vs BBs, but the way I see DDs in ranked is that it's a DDs job to engage enemy DDs, grab caps, spot enemy ships and enemy torps, and perhaps lastly do damage to enemy heavies.  That said, I kinda see the Kidd, a fine gunboat, as kind of weak in Ranked because of the lack of a strong torpedo alpha strike, due to only 1 launcher and no torp reload booster.  I'm rather fond of the Akizuki in tier 8 Ranked, because no other DD can out gunboat it, and its torps are solid because of the TRB.  

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
3 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I was excited to play some of my favorite tier 8s, but it was extremely anti-climatic.  Only played a few games and ended up at rank 15.  I have decent selection of T10 ships, will probably stick with Moskva using upgraded radar and Zao as back up, see how that goes.

I'm in the same boat, Ramsalot.  I started at rank 16 and won my first two battles right off and made it to the irrevocable rank 15 and tier 10's.  I'm very uncertain what to play from here on.  I'd prefer DDs, but with so many radar ships, it's rather scary out there.  I might stick with heavies.  Time will tell.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,510 posts
8,037 battles
3 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

Just curious..

From rank 16 i had an assortment of ships, none of them did too well until i brought the NC out. Once i reached rank 15, Moskva is my only viable choice as i have no t10 bbs and both khana and DM are the weaker ships this season around.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles
27 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Well, crzyhawk, if you get lucky and have a battle with only 1 BB per team, and you're in a gunboat DD and there are some Asashios on the other team, they're little more than meat on the table if you're a decent DD player.  There's no doubt that an Asashio can rack up some nice  damage vs BBs, but the way I see DDs in ranked is that it's a DDs job to engage enemy DDs, grab caps, spot enemy ships and enemy torps, and perhaps lastly do damage to enemy heavies.  That said, I kinda see the Kidd, a fine gunboat, as kind of weak in Ranked because of the lack of a strong torpedo alpha strike, due to only 1 launcher and no torp reload booster.  I'm rather fond of the Akizuki in tier 8 Ranked, because no other DD can out gunboat it, and its torps are solid because of the TRB.  

I also see the DD being an anti-DD machine.  That and capping are my job, and I don't need torps for that.  I think the Lo Yang and the Kidd are the best DDs to play for ranked at T8.  the BBs job is to kill, not mine.  Any kills and damage I provide are just gravy.  That said, two Kidd games tonight got me my flag.  Back to randoms for me!

[SALVO]
Members
16,721 posts
17,314 battles
13 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I also see the DD being an anti-DD machine.  That and capping are my job, and I don't need torps for that.  I think the Lo Yang and the Kidd are the best DDs to play for ranked at T8.  the BBs job is to kill, not mine.  Any kills and damage I provide are just gravy.  That said, two Kidd games tonight got me my flag.  Back to randoms for me!

The thing is that I've been in Ranked Battles where my team needed me to contribute more and because I was in a Kidd, I was unable top be a serious damage producer to the heavies.  if I had been in almost any other tier 8 DD, I'd have had a decent torpedo alpha strike.  That's why I think that the Akizuki is the best DD for T8 ranked.  It has the best firepower for DDvDD gun duels, and it has a good alpha strike due to the TRBs.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the Kidd.  But I was in too many Ranked battles where I was unable to help my  team when they needed more damage production from me in the Kidd.

Yes, it should be the BBs job to do the heavy lifting.  But as I'm sure you must have noticed, not all teams have a  full compliment of competent BB players and sometimes a good player in a DD needs to step up and go beyond his basic role if he wants to help the team win.  And the Kidd just seems unable to do that.  It's an excellent DD for doing  its basic role, but lacks the firepower to do more.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,168 posts

Still debating whether to play this season or not.   However, I do own a bunch of tier 8's, and will likely go with Baltimore; Eugen; and North Carolina.  Maybe Richelieu also.  

i had awesome luck playing my New Orleans- of all things- in my first season.  In fact it still holds my highest win record.   Last season was aborted only a couple of days in due to the extreme salt that seemed to pick up right where it left off late the season before when I'd decided to call it enough.   Hipper also did well for me, as did Eugen- and that was before the buff.  With a heal, Eugen should be even better.   I love playing Balti- and getting a chance to play it vs only other tier 8's may prove too tempting to pass up.

Alabama on the other hand, did the worst of ANY of my ships- even the ones I pulled out of mothballs just for Ranked and am not good in...  I think It's due to it's nerfed long range accuracy vs Nor-Cal- which shined in Ranked- as most of the battles I played in were longish range artillery duels.  

Richie, with all of it's guns on the bow, might be a great fit for that sort of meta- or it may not.  Won't know till I try!  

As for tier 10- assuming I make it there- I only have two:  Montana and Des Moines.  So that's what I'd use.  Montana, I'm far more experienced- and comfortable- in, and I just plain love playing it, so That'll likely get the lions share of play.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles
12 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Still debating whether to play this season or not.   However, I do own a bunch of tier 8's, and will likely go with Baltimore; Eugen; and North Carolina.  Maybe Richelieu also.  

i had awesome luck playing my New Orleans- of all things- in my first season.  In fact it still holds my highest win record.   Last season was aborted only a couple of days in due to the extreme salt that seemed to pick up right where it left off late the season before when I'd decided to call it enough.   Hipper also did well for me, as did Eugen- and that was before the buff.  With a heal, Eugen should be even better.   I love playing Balti- and getting a chance to play it vs only other tier 8's may prove too tempting to pass up.

Alabama on the other hand, did the worst of ANY of my ships- even the ones I pulled out of mothballs just for Ranked and am not good in...  I think It's due to it's nerfed long range accuracy vs Nor-Cal- which shined in Ranked- as most of the battles I played in were longish range artillery duels.  

Richie, with all of it's guns on the bow, might be a great fit for that sort of meta- or it may not.  Won't know till I try!  

As for tier 10- assuming I make it there- I only have two:  Montana and Des Moines.  So that's what I'd use.  Montana, I'm far more experienced- and comfortable- in, and I just plain love playing it, so That'll likely get the lions share of play.

I tried a round in my Eugen.  It wasn't pleasant.