You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

So, about pan-european commander voices

Which option would you prefer?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you prefer?

• Option 1, one generic voice over language for the entire nation, regardless of the original nationality of the ship / captain
    • Option 2, commander voice pack nationality tied to the ship
    • Option 3, commander voice pack nationality tied to the commander
    • A fourth option I've not mentioned, please explain in the comments

46 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles

With the announcement of a pan-european nation, a question arises.

First of all, this pan-european nation will comprise of premiums, and not be a tech tree with researchable ships. It's intended as a convenient catch-all for minor nations' premium ships, like Błyskawica and other future premiums from minor european nations, like for example my beloved Royal Netherlands Navy. This will be very useful for captain training porpoises and the like.

However, how is WG going to do the commander voices, for a multi-national line?

There are a few options, using a theoretical Dutch captain called Jan Visser.

• One nation voice over, like with the Pan Asian DDs

If I'm not mistaken, the PADDs have the normal American voice over for all their captains / ships. Jan Visser just speaking American English in whatever ship he's in. This is the easiest to do for WG but the least immersive and, in my opinion, the least desirable option.

• Voice pack tied to the ship

The benefit of this is that a Dutch ship will always sound like a Dutch ship, a Polish ship always like a Polish ship, etc, no matter what captain you put on it. The drawback is - why is Jan Visser speaking Swedish when on one ship and Polish when on another? He's Dutch!

• Voice pack tied to the captain

This is IMO the best solution. The ARP and Azur Lane girls prove that the framework exists to tie a voice pack to a specific captain. It even makes a modicum of sense that your Swedish ship would start speaking Dutch at you if you put Jan Visser in the captain's chair. The drawback is that WG would need to build some UI framework so we can either recruit a captain of a certain nation (voice pack, appearance and looks tied together) that fits the entire pan-european nation, or allow us to assign a voice pack to a specific generic pan-european captain.

Discuss?

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
325 posts

Personally I would like to see English speaking captains with an accent from the nationality of the ship you are using. I.E. German captain speaking English with a German accent. Options, let folks choose what they want to hear.

Cirran

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,852 battles

What a brilliant idea to create massive overhead and double the number of voice files for a single nation of a few low tier premium ships.

No.

• Bad 2

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,391 posts
4,284 battles

How about using English? :Smile_hiding:

It's pretty much a second language for a good chunk of Europe, except the French who fart in its general direction and refuse to ever use it even if they know how to. And it also means that a horribly accented English voice actually works.

One thing is for certain: WG will not find a voice that will NOT offend most of the minor European nations one way or another.

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts

The commanders give important messages. If you don't understand those messages, they are just so many points, and you're at a disadvantage. If I pick up a couple of Dashas, I might have to learn a little Russian. Please don't expect anyone to learn a bunch of languages to play a game. Because the game voiceover gives important information, I prefer that every ship gives those messages in a language I understand.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles
11 minutes ago, _V12 said:

a few low tier premium ships.

Oh ye of poor faith and knowledge.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles
Just now, Seadog_Supreme said:

The commanders give important messages. If you don't understand those messages, they are just so many points, and you're at a disadvantage. If I pick up a couple of Dashas, I might have to learn a little Russian. Please don't expect anyone to learn a bunch of languages to play a game. Because the game voiceover gives important information, I prefer that every ship gives those messages in a language I understand.

... You know there's options in the game to force any commander to speak any of the languages that exist in the game, right? You do understand that this is a thing that has been in the game for a long, long time? If you want everyone to speak American English, just set that in the options, but let the national voiceovers exist for those that want it.

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

... You know there's options in the game to force any commander to speak any of the languages that exist in the game, right? You do understand that this is a thing that has been in the game for a long, long time? If you want everyone to speak American English, just set that in the options, but let the national voiceovers exist for those that want it.

I don't care what the language is, you have the option to select yours. You know NA is only four languages, right? The ARP only spoke Japanese.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles

I don't care what the language is

Uh ... Yes you do. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted such strongly worded posts.

you have the option to select yours

Only if they're implemented. And it's that implementation I'm trying to discuss here. I mean, if that's ok with you.

1 minute ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

You know NA is only four languages, right?

And you realize the world is more than just the NA, and there are more than four nations in the game, right? Just checking ...

1 minute ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

The ARP only spoke Japanese.

And you can force them to speak American English. Using the options in the game. That have been there for a long time already.

• Cool 2

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,852 battles
10 minutes ago, Lert said:

Oh ye of poor faith and knowledge.

Austria Hungary, Poland, Netherlands.  No, unless you really enjoy paper on a level sillier than GK.

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Uh ... Yes you do. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted such strongly worded posts.

Only if they're implemented. And it's that implementation I'm trying to discuss here. I mean, if that's ok with you.

And you realize the world is more than just the NA, and there are more than four nations in the game, right? Just checking ...

And you can force them to speak American English. Using the options in the game. That have been there for a long time already.

Lert, you need a Snickers.

• Funny 1

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,852 battles

Or a reality check.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles
1 minute ago, _V12 said:

Austria Hungary, Poland, Netherlands.  No, unless you really enjoy paper on a level sillier than GK.

And some of those can provide ships up to tier 10, if needed.

I'm still trying to figure out what your deal is. Are you arguing for only English voices in the game? Are you afraid of options for people who want them? You're sounding very, very much like a combination of "I don't want it so nobody can have it" and "This is America, everyone else can GTFO".

[POP]
Members
527 posts
11,502 battles

Akkadian, I would like for them to speak Akkadian.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DAKI]
12,391 posts
4,284 battles
10 minutes ago, _V12 said:

You realise right that Wargaming made a 'Asian' DD line from tier 1 to 10 out of used second hand ships?

The minor European nations by comparison are a gold mine of material, and WG have obviously already researched the ships necessary if they plan to release a Pan-Minor European nations tech tree.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,852 battles
1 minute ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

You realise right that Wargaming made a 'Asian' DD line from tier 1 to 10 out of used second hand ships?

The minor European nations by comparison are a gold mine of material.

Which, by admittance, was just a quick grab to cash in on the Asian market?

Do you honestly think the Dutch market measures up?

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,894 battles

Flamu's voice speaking English for everything. If you die without getting 200K damage and a Kraken, he calls you a :etc_swear: potato.  /joke

No, more seriously, I think it should be tied to the captain. Disclosure: I don't actually have the sound on at all (a necessity because of sleeping children); I find none of what the captains say helpful, and I rely on visual cues only.

• Funny 1

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles
40 minutes ago, Lert said:
  • One nation voice over, like with the Pan Asian DDs

If I'm not mistaken, the PADDs have the normal American voice over for all their captains / ships. Jan Visser just speaking American English in whatever ship he's in. This is the easiest to do for WG but the least immersive and, in my opinion, the least desirable option.

Quick Question, if PADDs have 1 voiceover, why is there a Chinese and Korean options in the voices panel?

[DAKI]
12,391 posts
4,284 battles
3 minutes ago, _V12 said:

Which, by admittance, was just a quick grab to cash in on the Asian market?

Do you honestly think the Dutch market measures up?

Have you even kept up with the news?

Why will there be a Pan European nation?
It's there for the same reason there is one for the PanAsian. Various countries that have some (popular) ships, but can't make a full line on their own, so they need to be combined in order to be implemented in the game. For the EU: don't expect full lines, like Polish CV's, the Swiss Mountain Navy. But they now have a "container-nation" that allows them to introduce (premium) ships of minor nations like Poland, The Netherlands & Austro-Hungary (for the time being, other nations can/will follow). If such a minor nation gets a techtree of their own later on, those ships from the Pan-European nation will merge to their nation techtree.

Wargaming's answer to your question is 'yes'. They clearly do not agree with you and think the Dutch and the other minor european nations measure up.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles
2 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Quick Question, if PADDs have 1 voiceover, why is there a Chinese and Korean options in the voices panel?

Good question. I didn't spend much time investigating the PADD voiceover thing. I have 'national+' selected, and my Gadjah Mada speaks to me in American English, so that was what I was working on when writing this thread. Hence the 'If I'm not mistaken', which I very well could be. After all, 'national+' has German ships speaking to me in German, Japanese ships in Japanese, my Polish ship in Polish, English ships in (what WG things is) English, etc.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,852 battles
4 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Have you even kept up with the news?

Wargaming's answer to your question is 'yes'. They clearly do not agree with you and think the Dutch and the other minor european nations measure up.

Do you see the word "premium" there describing the type of releases?  Or is parsing phrases not your strong suit?

[FAE]
Members
2,116 posts
2,507 battles

You know how silly and brokenly un-mersive it is for a Chinese named person to captain a Korean ship? And speak English? 

Cmon, how about a little support for different nations within Pan Asia. Or do you all really think Chao Bao and Huang Di are Korean names and Indonesian names? 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles
9 minutes ago, _V12 said:

Do you see the word "premium" there describing the type of releases?  Or is parsing phrases not your strong suit?

But they now have a "container-nation" that allows them to introduce (premium) ships of minor nations like Poland, The Netherlands & Austro-Hungary (for the time being, other nations can/will follow). If such a minor nation gets a techtree of their own later on, those ships from the Pan-European nation will merge to their nation techtree.

Source: the exact same page @Super_Dreadnought linked.

[DAKI]
12,391 posts
4,284 battles
30 minutes ago, _V12 said:

Do you see the parentheses surrounding the word premium, which provides additional information that some Pan-Europe ships may be premium, but does not rule out tech tree ships? Or is grammar not your strong suit?

Admitting defeat and stepping down certainly isn't. WG have plans to include the Netherlands, Austria-Hungary, and Poland in their own tree, and no amount of snarky comments will change that you were wrong.

[NNA]
Members
141 posts
5,264 battles

Personally, I prefer  this option. (Option 3, commander voice pack nationality tied to the commander ). I play mostly USN ships, but I also play the Yorck, The Blyskawica, the Tenryu and the Umikaze,  and others. Point is I like the national voiceover when I play those ships, it provides a more authentic feel to the game. I may not understand everything that's being said, but I can pretty much get the gist of what's going on by being aware of what's happening around me. And who knows, I may pick up a phrase or two in Polish, German, French or Japanese.