Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Patton3rdarmy13

Tier 8 Ranked Battles, just like walking on hot coals

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
236 posts
5,797 battles

I enjoyed playing ranked battles then there is last season. Last season at tier 8 was brutal, I started and ended season at just 2 ranks a part and had no fun. Win 1 and loss 2, Win 1 and lost 8, there was no joy of being stuck at more or less same rank. I am not the greatest player but should not have been so hard to get 2 ranks. I wanted to end at least rank 10 which before last season did in 20-30 matches moving up 10-15 ranks a season but took me 40+ to move just 2. Wargaming please do something to make playing ranked fun again because current season is repeating last one. I loved playing tier 7 ranked so maybe do that again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,167 posts
501 battles

I did ok for a mediocre player and got higher than I think I ever did before... and really did enjoy the Akizuki, which helped my get to where I got... but after getting used to the "other" Hydro DD.... that might be my first choice.... I dont have the Tier 8 German DD yet... but do have an 18 PT Chappy and 17 PT Kiev... and a few other fairly good Tier 8 ships and will have a great time with another ranked season challenge....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,118 posts
3,141 battles

I love tier 8 ranked. Unfortunately I only got to play two games this season before getting to tier 10. 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,167 posts
501 battles
4 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

Got through my Tier 8 portion in 8 games. Now Rank 15 and up is different.

I am confused greatly by that statement...

tier 8 "portion" was to reach rank 5 I believe... then it was tier ten ships...
OR maybe it was reach rank ONE with tier 8 then tier tens... either way... ten games and rank 15 is not "Through"...

 

EDIT... OK wait, did the season start already?? I have been away for a few days and was not paying attention to the dates....

 

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
71 posts
49 battles

Started the grind today ......

 

 

 

Also got the Akizuki game showcased on the BIA World of Warships channel. A big thank you to those great guys over there.

 

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5 posts
2,006 battles
7 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I am confused greatly by that statement...

tier 8 "portion" was to reach rank 5 I believe... then it was tier ten ships...
OR maybe it was reach rank ONE with tier 8 then tier tens... either way... ten games and rank 15 is not "Through"...

 

EDIT... OK wait, did the season start already?? I have been away for a few days and was not paying attention to the dates....

 

Ranked started yesterday (Friday,Aug 24th)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
325
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,321 posts
14,681 battles
15 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I love tier 8 ranked. Unfortunately I only got to play two games this season before getting to tier 10. 

My experience as well.  Not a huge fan of digging out the T10s so early.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
418
[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,766 posts
5,805 battles

Not a fan of T10 ships at all, played a handful of them last night and every match was a lopsided one. First team to lose a ship lost the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,167 posts
501 battles
23 minutes ago, DikkerdOnTheLiquor said:

Tier ten is rank 15 and up... So you could complete tier 8 portion in 7 game ultimately.

AH..... so my 19 Pt Hindy, Khab and Moskva.... might be my only choices...

their rentals are not high enough point capts...

unless I retrain some capts.... 18 pt FLetcher... 18Pt Yugomo...17Pt.. FDK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,167 posts
501 battles
2 hours ago, DikkerdOnTheLiquor said:

Ranked started yesterday (Friday,Aug 24th)

and I just logged on, LOL I dont have to play tier 8, so I will give it a shot for a couple hours...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134
[REVY]
Beta Testers
260 posts
1,680 battles
7 hours ago, Warped_1 said:

My experience as well.  Not a huge fan of digging out the T10s so early.

75% WR in my Worcester so far, one win away from rank 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
388
[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I would kill to be able to go back to tier 8 ranked. Devs, please, just let me go back to rank 16. I don't care if I can get back to 15 at this point, I've seen enough of 15, I have 15, 15 can go die in a hole for all I care and take its stupid new legendary flags and camos and steel and crap with it. I'm done. I want to play ranked to PROGRESS, to feel like I'm making a solid contribution; not to sit treading water because for every step forward the rest of the team boards the lemming train and leaves my aft alone to take down six ships on a single flank!

Give me a gun and a target, or however you want it done. You want me to take out someone from the War Thunder team or something? I'll do it! As long as it's not SilentStalker I will do it if it means I can go back to the comparative bliss that is tier 8 ranked!

 

 

 

 

Okay I actually wouldn't, but the point is that I've only been playing ranked for TWO DAYS and I'm already on the verge of throwing my keyboard at the wall in rage and frustration. Thanks guys! Thanks for locking all the cool stuff behind resources that, at this rate, I will never have enough of. And I swear to TOG, if anyone says "but you can get steel from super-containers!" they will be my Musashi's next 18.1" round downrange. Do I LOOK like I have any kind of luck with those things? The only thing I've gotten out of those lies of a reward system are 7 pity premium days and more det flags than I know what to do with. "Oh look at me though, I got a ship!" Well GOOD FOR YOU! RNGsus hates me, this is a verified fact.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,302
[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles

Ohhh it's been ugly. I've been holding up my end of the bargain, but our Battleships can't seem to hit anything (P.S. If you see a Tirpitz it's probably going to be a liability)

I'm running a 1400+ WTR, but a 28% WR in 7 battles, so I'm tapping out for the night. Thank god for save a star but there haven't been any won to save! It's been really really unfortunate for me this evening.

Might have to move out of Lo Yang and into MK,  and warm up some of these taters.

Edited by Canadatron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[1-]
Members
578 posts
3,350 battles
1 hour ago, Landsraad said:

Give me a gun and a target, or however you want it done. You want me to take out someone from the War Thunder team or something? I'll do it! As long as it's not SilentStalker I will do it if it means I can go back to the comparative bliss that is tier 8 ranked!

What a poet. This reads like the lyrics of a song:

Same. I love ranked at Tier 8. So much fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
430
[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,884 battles
2 hours ago, Landsraad said:

I would kill to be able to go back to tier 8 ranked. Devs, please, just let me go back to rank 16. I don't care if I can get back to 15 at this point, I've seen enough of 15, I have 15, 15 can go die in a hole for all I care and take its stupid new legendary flags and camos and steel and crap with it. I'm done. I want to play ranked to PROGRESS, to feel like I'm making a solid contribution; not to sit treading water because for every step forward the rest of the team boards the lemming train and leaves my aft alone to take down six ships on a single flank!

Give me a gun and a target, or however you want it done. You want me to take out someone from the War Thunder team or something? I'll do it! As long as it's not SilentStalker I will do it if it means I can go back to the comparative bliss that is tier 8 ranked!

 

 

 

 

Okay I actually wouldn't, but the point is that I've only been playing ranked for TWO DAYS and I'm already on the verge of throwing my keyboard at the wall in rage and frustration. Thanks guys! Thanks for locking all the cool stuff behind resources that, at this rate, I will never have enough of. And I swear to TOG, if anyone says "but you can get steel from super-containers!" they will be my Musashi's next 18.1" round downrange. Do I LOOK like I have any kind of luck with those things? The only thing I've gotten out of those lies of a reward system are 7 pity premium days and more det flags than I know what to do with. "Oh look at me though, I got a ship!" Well GOOD FOR YOU! RNGsus hates me, this is a verified fact.

You really need to stop, now, and walk around the block. Get some fresh air. 

When you come back, you need to think about what YOU need to do to win battles. That can include changing ship type, class or not going your favourite hidy-hole. 

Edit: For example, I enjoy my Minotaur and I’m good at it in fandoms. But in ranked, I kept being deleted, so I’m now using my Hindenburg. Much more successful so far. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
430
[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,884 battles
2 hours ago, Canadatron said:

Ohhh it's been ugly. I've been holding up my end of the bargain, but our Battleships can't seem to hit anything (P.S. If you see a Tirpitz it's probably going to be a liability)

I'm running a 1400+ WTR, but a 28% WR in 7 battles, so I'm tapping out for the night. Thank god for save a star but there haven't been any won to save! It's been really really unfortunate for me this evening.

Might have to move out of Lo Yang and into MK,  and warm up some of these taters.

I played my Tier 8 battles in my Tirpitz, and I was hoping for reactions like that - assuming I was hopeless. Instead, smashed them! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
388
[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
20 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

When you come back, you need to think about what YOU need to do to win battles. That can include changing ship type, class or not going your favourite hidy-hole. 

I have two tier 10s. TWO. I can't change ship type or class any more than simply alternating between CL and CA. Yes, I know, I've been off my game a bit recently and made mistakes, I will own that fact. But there's only so much I can do, and it's exceptionally frustrating trying to progress when I keep seeing teams attacking piecemeal, or hiding in the back, or everyone going to a single cap and then getting slammed from the flank.

And the worst part is that with the smaller teams I feel like I have NO way of predicting what either team will do. I'll be focused on my own ship and target and ask for support only to find that the two ships which had been with me less than a minute ago have pulled a 180 just to try and farm damage off a BB 20km away in the opposite direction. I've seen identical team compositions do wildly different things, it's madness that I can't make sense of!

At tier 8 I could do more! I had more influence on the match and COULD turn the tide if need be. At 10 I keep getting focused down and deleted for daring to try and take a potshot because the rest of the team is hiding behind the farthest island possible.

Edit: And since you bring it up, SCREW MINOTAURS! I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong but the contemptible little malnourished Worcesters are the bane of my existence. Every time I run into one I get out-DPMed or machine-gunned with those single-fire torps. And this isn't just ranked thing, even in randoms the Minotaur is my nemesis. Camping in smoke giving me either improbable ricochets or nothing but overpens, healing ridiculous amounts of its HP back and staying in the fight even though I slammed six citadels into it and it was below 1/3 health. I hate them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
142
[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
549 posts
5,100 battles
2 hours ago, Canadatron said:

Ohhh it's been ugly. I've been holding up my end of the bargain, but our Battleships can't seem to hit anything (P.S. If you see a Tirpitz it's probably going to be a liability)

I'm running a 1400+ WTR, but a 28% WR in 7 battles, so I'm tapping out for the night. Thank god for save a star but there haven't been any won to save! It's been really really unfortunate for me this evening.

Might have to move out of Lo Yang and into MK,  and warm up some of these taters.

I feel ya on this.today went 2-5 and was top of team in all but 2 with high caliber. The loses were ugly almost like i got the biggest potatoes from randoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
430
[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,884 battles
2 hours ago, Landsraad said:

I have two tier 10s. TWO. I can't change ship type or class any more than simply alternating between CL and CA. Yes, I know, I've been off my game a bit recently and made mistakes, I will own that fact. But there's only so much I can do, and it's exceptionally frustrating trying to progress when I keep seeing teams attacking piecemeal, or hiding in the back, or everyone going to a single cap and then getting slammed from the flank.

I get that, but I moved from a CL to a CA and had a material change in experience... 

I've done a few ranked seasons now though, all I can s uggest is that you dont play tilted.  This game is quite streaky - after a loss, hold off the battle button for 10 mins - enough to allow the current set of players to wash out. Cool down a bit, grab a cup of tea or go to the loo so you dont make sleepy or rushed decisions, then try again.  

2 hours ago, Landsraad said:

And the worst part is that with the smaller teams I feel like I have NO way of predicting what either team will do. I'll be focused on my own ship and target and ask for support only to find that the two ships which had been with me less than a minute ago have pulled a 180 just to try and farm damage off a BB 20km away in the opposite direction. I've seen identical team compositions do wildly different things, it's madness that I can't make sense of!

As you play more ranked, you'll get the feel for it.  Just remember that the 'meta' changes betwen ranks 2-5, 5-10, and 10-15 - something that worked at lower ranks often doesnt at higher ranks.  Also, the team composition and the announced plan can make people play the otherwise same map in quite different ways. Just keep observing, and see if you can guess what your team is doing - and after the battle, notice which players did well, and where they went with the ship they had.  

2 hours ago, Landsraad said:

At tier 8 I could do more! I had more influence on the match and COULD turn the tide if need be. At 10 I keep getting focused down and deleted for daring to try and take a potshot because the rest of the team is hiding behind the farthest island possible.

Edit: And since you bring it up, SCREW MINOTAURS! I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong but the contemptible little malnourished Worcesters are the bane of my existence. Every time I run into one I get out-DPMed or machine-gunned with those single-fire torps. And this isn't just ranked thing, even in randoms the Minotaur is my nemesis. Camping in smoke giving me either improbable ricochets or nothing but overpens, healing ridiculous amounts of its HP back and staying in the fight even though I slammed six citadels into it and it was below 1/3 health. I hate them!

If you are getting focused down too early, then you're too far out front.  Follow your destroyers, and let them do the spotting.  In a cruiser, dont open fire unless you have some hard cover nearby to run to - at which poiint, start moving towards that hard cover as you open fire.  Often in this game, particularly at higher tiers, judgements about when NOT to open fire are more important that when to open fire and aim well. 

I see your point, but Minos are still very squishy - just play one and you'll see what I mean.  And they dont use HE that cause fires - imo Worcester is worse :p

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,302
[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
5 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I played my Tier 8 battles in my Tirpitz, and I was hoping for reactions like that - assuming I was hopeless. Instead, smashed them! 

Well the BB quality in the matches I ran was lacking. The only really good BB I came across was an Enemy Alabama. If they were in a Tirpitz  (ours or theirs) they could be ignored typically. 

Just absolutely zero thinking to the game is what I saw. Instead of going dark, keep shooting and get blapped. Broadside cruisers, no predictive play. Radar cruisers never able to apply radar, people having trouble counting to 7 on the minimap....

Ranked, basically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
75
[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
228 posts
7,409 battles

Just got to rank 15 tonight with my full secondary Massachusetts in 8 games with an 83.33% WR. I play it like a siege tank and set up at key locations near cover to mitigate DOTs and funnel enemies into the kill zone.

I'm sad I didn't get to play her more before the tier 10 cut off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×