Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Just how big is a modern supercarrier?

29 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles

pai35SH.jpg

About ye big.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,404 posts
4,294 battles

There's never a convenient typhoon when you want one.

• Funny 2

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

About ye big.

Whats that in Shinanos? I only understand the Imperial system.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles
Just now, Akeno017 said:

Whats that in Shinanos?

'bout tree-fiddy.

• Funny 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,794 posts
4,812 battles
2 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

There's never a convenient typhoon when you want one.

Not that it would matter. Been at sea five hurricanes/typhoons. Four on carriers. Those cars aren’t going anywhere.

more than 95,000 tons displacement. 5 acre flight deck. 2700 internal spaces, 5500 of your closest friends. 

The world’s fastest Federal Institutions! :Smile_teethhappy:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,505 posts
7,374 battles

USS Carl Vinson and USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor..CarlV.jpg.465156e42d6f2c2d730bdadfa997f6e8.jpg

Note: The Missouri is the little one.

• Cool 1

[WOSV]
Members
324 posts
2,075 battles

How big? I'd say just big enough. Nah, I'd say YUGE.

The scary part is how maneuverable those Goliath's are. Officially the Nimitz class can do 32 kts or something like that, though I've heard some Navy guys laugh at that number, some going as far as to suggest a top speed in excess of 40 kts.

A 1,000 feet long, 100,000 ton super-carrier doing destroyer-like speeds. Because 'Merica.

Best part is we got like 9 or 10 of em. With new ones on the way, including a new Enterprise. As we know, the US Navy is never complete without the Big E.

Beta Testers
9,043 posts
9 hours ago, Lert said:

pai35SH.jpg

About ye big.

You have to consider that the largest ship ever made, the Seawise Giant, is about 657,000 tons in displacement.   That's like the displacement of six modern aircraft carriers and is the biggest self propelled man made object.  

[WOLF6]
Members
1,794 posts
4,812 battles
4 minutes ago, Eisennagel said:

You have to consider that the largest ship ever made, the Seawise Giant, is about 657,000 tons in displacement.   That's like the displacement of six modern aircraft carriers and is the biggest self propelled man made object.  

Yeah, but how many aircraft can it launch?

[WOLF6]
Members
1,794 posts
4,812 battles
6 hours ago, Halonut24 said:

How big? I'd say just big enough. Nah, I'd say YUGE.

The scary part is how maneuverable those Goliath's are. Officially the Nimitz class can do 32 kts or something like that, though I've heard some Navy guys laugh at that number, some going as far as to suggest a top speed in excess of 40 kts.

A 1,000 feet long, 100,000 ton super-carrier doing destroyer-like speeds. Because 'Merica.

Best part is we got like 9 or 10 of em. With new ones on the way, including a new Enterprise. As we know, the US Navy is never complete without the Big E.

Big E was the fastest carrier ever built. Fastest capital ship ever, in fact. Top speed is still classified. Her hull was a lot narrower than the America and follow ons. First fleet carrier I ever landed on, and she was with us (Carl Vinson) when we started bombing the Taliban in early October, 2001.

we’ll have another Enterprise, after we have a new JFK.

Beta Testers
9,043 posts
50 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Yeah, but how many aircraft can it launch?

That's not the point.  The point is just being big.   You can also ask the point of how much oil can your aircraft carrier carry.

[PSP]
Members
6,039 posts
8,582 battles
10 hours ago, Lert said:

pai35SH.jpg

About ye big.

There are as many people on that ship as live in my county and the two counties above it combined. I'm not joking either.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Still waiting for the day when a supercarrier is big enough to use the flight deck or main hangar as an NFL football field. We've already got the length down, just need to work on the width.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,794 posts
4,812 battles
2 hours ago, Eisennagel said:

That's not the point.  The point is just being big.   You can also ask the point of how much oil can your aircraft carrier carry.

Well you said, "we have to consider...." One is a warship, the other is just big. Why detract from the OPs point?

[PSP]
Members
6,039 posts
8,582 battles
1 hour ago, Landsraad said:

Still waiting for the day when a supercarrier is big enough to use the flight deck or main hangar as an NFL football field. We've already got the length down, just need to work on the width.

Nimitz class CV:  Flight Deck Width: 252 feet (76.8 meters). Length: 1,092 feet (332.85 meters).

The rectangular football field is 160 feet (48.5 m) wide and 360 feet (109.1 m) in length (53.3 yards, 120 yards respectively), including the two 10 yard (9.2 m) end zones.

If the tower wasn't in the way you could have a full-size football field on the deck.

Edited by Snargfargle

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles

I've been on Constellation and Nimitz-class Carriers.  USS Constellation, or "Connie" for short, was decommissioned years and years ago one of the last conventional CVs the US had.  Been on several Nimitz-class CVNs.

I will say this, despite how old Connie was when I had a short stay on her, she was one of the most immaculate Carriers I'd been on.  I guess XO's Happy Hour was no joke on the Connie.

These ships are monstrous.  You can wander around completely lost and unsure where in the hell you are at unless you can read and understand the Navy's funky system on some of the bulkheads.  You can maybe tell, "I'm closer to the flight deck" by the loud banging on the overheads as aircraft are doing air ops.

When you get onto the hangar deck or flight deck, and see how the Navy stows its aircraft with great efficiency in terms of space, time used, and ease of movement, jam packed with aircraft, while air operations are going on at the same time, also accommodating movement needed due to maintenance requirements, it's amazing.

However, I do recall having berthing (a massive room with bunks) that was below the arresting wires towards the stern of the ship.  I remember I couldn't sleep if I didn't have earplugs on due to the BANGGG!!!!! of planes landing, the screeching metal sound of arresting wires getting dragged by the aircraft tail hooks, the HISSSS-WHIRRRR-WHIIIIIIZZZZZZ!!!!! of the retracting wires... Dear Lord... And even then, there were times where it seemed like the earplugs just don't help.

Also for some boat humor:  Watch out for the jellyfish!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
9,043 posts
58 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Well you said, "we have to consider...." One is a warship, the other is just big. Why detract from the OPs point?

Big isn't just big, its very big.  

Because 100,000 ton ship today, warship or not, its still a ship ---- isn't unique anymore, but common place.  You can book yourself on cruise liners that displace over 200,000 tons.   There is a ship that can carry an entire aircraft carrier the size of the OP f it needs to.  Many people don't appreciate that we are living in an unprecedented age of sheer ship gigantism, and ships are growing so big that countries are now putting MAX limits, a PANAMAX meaning that's the biggest allowed to go through the canal, CHINAMAX meaning the biggest allowed on a Chinese port, etc,.  

[WOLF6]
Members
1,794 posts
4,812 battles
9 minutes ago, Eisennagel said:

Big isn't just big, its very big.  

Because 100,000 ton ship today, warship or not, its still a ship ---- isn't unique anymore, but common place.  You can book yourself on cruise liners that displace over 200,000 tons.   There is a ship that can carry an entire aircraft carrier the size of the OP f it needs to.  Many people don't appreciate that we are living in an unprecedented age of sheer ship gigantism, and ships are growing so big that countries are now putting MAX limits, a PANAMAX meaning that's the biggest allowed to go through the canal, CHINAMAX meaning the biggest allowed on a Chinese port, etc,.  

Well, on behalf of the OP, thanks for raining on the parade.

[WORX]
Members
1,640 posts
12,695 battles

1 plane = a space of 4 cars  so if one NImitz can carry around 90 that is a grand total of 360 cars easy in the flt deck and hanger bay. That is a lot

[SPTR]
Members
25,640 posts
10,824 battles

Not the big gun Battleships I loved but still awesome warships to read on about and look at /^_\\

we don't have anything like those here in Australia well not even a standard modern carrier just a couple of Canberra-class landing helicopter docks.

[PSP]
Members
6,039 posts
8,582 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

1. These ships are monstrous.  You can wander around completely lost and unsure where in the hell you are at unless you can read and understand the Navy's funky system on some of the bulkheads. 

2. BANGGG!!!!! of planes landing, the screeching metal sound of arresting wires getting dragged by the aircraft tail hooks, the HISSSS-WHIRRRR-WHIIIIIIZZZZZZ!!!!! 

3. Also for some boat humor:  Watch out for the jellyfish!

1. This makes me think of the old "Paul Bunyan" stories where the logging camp was so big and the chow line was so long that they had to have snack bars along he line to feed the loggers, lest they starve to death on the way to eat. They tried and tried to get me to join the Navy because of my test scores but I opted for Army instead. I'd recommend the Navy to anyone looking to learn a skill that is transferable to civilian life though. One of my fellow grad students used to be an electrician on the Nimitz; he got out of the Navy with a Journeyman's certification and could find a job anywhere. 

2. I was a medic in an artillery (8-inch) unit so I can relate with it being so noisy it was hard to sleep. Not that we got much sleep anyway because it was always fire, move, fire, move...

3. Not having been a sailor, I don't know what you mean by that but here is a picture I took of a 7-foot diameter Lion's Mane Jelly while scuba diving.

HRa3u2Z.jpg?1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,598 posts
14,017 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

1. This makes me think of the old "Paul Bunyan" stories where the logging camp was so big and the chow line was so long that they had to have snack bars along he line to feed the loggers, lest they starve to death on the way to eat. They tried and tried to get me to join the Navy because of my test scores but I opted for Army instead. I'd recommend the Navy to anyone looking to learn a skill that is transferable to civilian life though. One of my fellow grad students used to be an electrician on the Nimitz; he got out of the Navy with a Journeyman's certification and could find a job anywhere. 

2. I was a medic in an artillery (8-inch) unit so I can relate with it being so noisy it was hard to sleep. Not that we got much sleep anyway because it was always fire, move, fire, move...

3. Not having been a sailor, I don't know what you mean by that but here is a picture I took of a 7-foot diameter Lion's Mane Jelly while scuba diving.

HRa3u2Z.jpg?1

The Jellyfish joke I'll have to PM you.  Posting it would get me a warning :Smile_glasses:

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
5,973 posts
2,203 battles

In case anyone is wondering why there's a carrier driving around with the crew's cars on deck, it's because RR is home ported in Yokosuka, Japan, meaning that when she goes there the crew effectively moves there.  Ya need a car in yer home port, so they take them along.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this