Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Anniversary Crates Review - Are they worth it? Unboxing

33 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,426 posts
4,720 battles

Meh.  Tokens for commanders and a few permanent camps.  You get 8 token in the boxes you can earn.  I’d save your money unless you need a ton of XP specialty flags.  Looks like this “token” for arsenal might be how these crates run now.  That’s be a shame for Halloween and Santa.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
5,310 posts
17,747 battles

Ehh they are only worth it if you want the rewards or oil. Personally I don't find them to be a good value as I don't care about special captains with no special abilities. If you really need 10 point captains, then it is ok, otherwise it seems a waste. 

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
9 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Ehh they are only worth it if you want the rewards or oil. Personally I don't find them to be a good value as I don't care about special captains with no special abilities. If you really need 10 point captains, then it is ok, otherwise it seems a waste. 

I bought 30, the flags are good (especially the Leviathan one), I don't need camos but I did buy the Arctic Edinburgh one. They're .. average, definitely not great nor generous. I didn't really need the commanders but I bought a few anyway for the nations I have the least stock of.

13 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Meh.  Tokens for commanders and a few permanent camps.  You get 8 token in the boxes you can earn.  I’d save your money unless you need a ton of XP specialty flags.  Looks like this “token” for arsenal might be how these crates run now.  That’s be a shame for Halloween and Santa.

This is the real problem. But my wallet won't suffer. I bought at least $600 worth of Santa crates I don't remember what else. If they do this for the major holiday sales they will lose a TON of income. I'm guessing they make more on those two sales than they do in many months of normal sales.

Edited by w4spl3g

[LOU1]
Members
2,854 posts
7,987 battles

I mainly want the camos,  Bought five of the crates for some extra flags along with an easier time for the Edinburgh Arctic.  Then, yesterday you got an extra container for every five purchased because of the rewards mixup.  If you are short on funds, they might now be worth it to you.  YMMV, as always.

Seems like the main benefits of a token system is that players get to pick what they get - something that seems to be requested often.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[PVE]
Members
5,310 posts
17,747 battles
9 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

I bought 30, the flags are good (especially the Leviathan one), I don't need camos but I did buy the Arctic Edinburgh one. They're .. average, definitely not great nor generous. I didn't really need the commanders but I bought a few anyway for the nations I have the least stock of.

Yeah the signals look good, I will spend all my free tokens on them then save them for special events or missions. The camo for Edinburgh would be another decent prize to work for if you plan on getting the ship and assuming you can get enough tokens without spending more money on crates then you do if buying it's standard camo with doubloons. I suppose the argument could be that you could spend the same amount and end up better with the crates because of the extra goodies involved for the same amount of cash. 

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,305 posts
3,661 battles

What baffles me to be honest are the permanent camos. It's just that Edin aren't Z-23 are big keepers. I would rather have a larger pool of camos to pick from. 

That said, the Commanders are.a decent reward.:Smile_great:

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,370 posts
7,948 battles

Yeah, so far his anniversary kinda sucks and this really better not be how crates like this work from now on unless they drastically improve token rewards. Don't wanna drop like 60 bucks, maybe more, spend 3 weeks maxing out containers for free you get a handful of flags, a commander, and maybe a patch. It was easier to earn some of the basic captains with enhanced skills, various ships, etc. Short of the super container having 25000 steel, a ship, or a mega load of dubloons/premium time - even the collection doesn't feel worth it. 

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

What baffles me to be honest are the permanent camos. It's just that Edin aren't Z-23 are big keepers. I would rather have a larger pool of camos to pick from. 

With the Z-23 they already had a mission or event or something (congratulatory? I forget where I got it) for it and there was a free camo which is better (has better bonuses) than the one they're selling so I'm not interested in this one.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,658 posts
9,977 battles
10 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

WG's attempt to bolster the T8 population perhaps... T8's been popular for free camouflages - Bismarck in particular stands out to me.

The new signals aren't desperately exciting, a bit unfocused and any credit earnings I find are increasingly redundant. These seem far, far from worth it.

Members
587 posts

it isn't the crates it is what is in the Arsenal for the 3rd  that you can buy with the tokens.   The only thing I like is the new economic flags.   10 pt Captains without any special skills AND rather ODD DUCK 10 pt Captains at that.   These will be good for the new player.  As it gets them ahead on Captains.  I did like the earlier special skill captains with a limit of one per Country.   That would have been interesting here. 

[WOLF8]
Alpha Tester
1,030 posts
4,353 battles

I was really expecting more for the third anniversary in general. It's fairly disappointing.

• Cool 3

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
629 posts
1,181 battles
8 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I was really expecting more for the third anniversary in general. It's fairly disappointing.

The anniversary is in September (the 17th, I believe), so perhaps there will be more to come. I admit that as it stands, this is a bit lackluster. I could use several of the commanders and I was hoping they'd be a bit easier to obtain.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
260 posts
1,680 battles
33 minutes ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I had my credit card out, looked at the payouts in the crates, and rapidly put my card back. I'll just wait and drop loot at Halloween and Christmas. Maybe. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

I could (couldn't?) care less about the space mode captains.  But I wouldn't mind picking up a Dasha captain or 2.  I mean, it's Dasha!!!  :cap_cool:

Regardless, I do wish that they'd made Dasha a little better than a generic captain with a pretty face.  She wouldn't really need special skills per se to make her more interesting, IMO.  Maybe if she had something like access to the colored shell tracers, an ability that's really just cosmetic.  Or maybe give her the ability to earn you something like 5-10% more credits per battle?

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
1 hour ago, NoZoupForYou said:

I can see spending a little money if you want to pick up a captain or 2.  Other than that, I'd probably save my money for a nice Christmas spending spree on Santa boxes.

Hey, some of us have been asking for a Dasha captain.  And now that she's finally here, I can see some people being willing to spend a little bit of cash to ensure that they can get one or two Dashas.

[PVE]
Members
5,310 posts
17,747 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I could (couldn't?) care less about the space mode captains.  But I wouldn't mind picking up a Dasha captain or 2.  I mean, it's Dasha!!!  :cap_cool:

Regardless, I do wish that they'd made Dasha a little better than a generic captain with a pretty face.  She wouldn't really need special skills per se to make her more interesting, IMO.  Maybe if she had something like access to the colored shell tracers, an ability that's really just cosmetic.  Or maybe give her the ability to earn you something like 5-10% more credits per battle?

I agree, would like a Dasha captain as well. It is a shame she is expensive in tokens. Maybe offered her as a 3 point captain at a reduced price.

Members
198 posts
5,561 battles

In the 3rd anniversary event, it's disappointing.... I was expecting the crates (as previously promised by wargaming), only to find flags. I have too many flags as it is. UGH not even a permanent camo or salem as a reward, I will not be buying anymore 3rd anniversary crates.

Members
1,123 posts
6,679 battles
1 hour ago, w4spl3g said:

With the Z-23 they already had a mission or event or something (congratulatory? I forget where I got it) for it and there was a free camo which is better (has better bonuses) than the one they're selling so I'm not interested in this one.

yep, it already had a perma camo from another event, so getting yet another one for a meh ship, just isn't worth it. 

this years celebration is not as good as years past so far.   pretty disappointed.  the only remotely useful thing in arsenal with these tokens is the commanders.  but, if you are like me, you already have all the commanders you will really need.  a few extras for ships you want to keep, or for different builds is alright.  still, that is about it.

maybe, if i get enough tokens, ill get the edin camo, in case i might want to finish grinding the RN Cruiser line.(probably the last line i will finish.  I am happy with the fiji)

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,898 posts
3,276 battles
2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

^this. I only bought 1 captain, the dolphin, so I had a 10 point captain ready to go without further training. But nothing else in the arsenal interests me really.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
418 posts
1,822 battles

The anniversary "shop" is a little bit anemic and probably more favorable to newer players with the 10-skill commanders, but I wanted some Leviathan and Scylla flags so getting 30 boxes off the shop gave me that and a concluded anniversary collection. Added bonus is not having to play any games at all during the event, and focus on other games until it is over.

[NOBS]
Members
470 posts
5,384 battles

Looks like I will end up with some camo and a bunch of signals. Little under whelmed with it

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
31 minutes ago, Ben_CA68 said:

In the 3rd anniversary event, it's disappointing.... I was expecting the crates (as previously promised by wargaming), only to find flags. I have too many flags as it is. UGH not even a permanent camo or salem as a reward, I will not be buying anymore 3rd anniversary crates.

Last year, IIRC, they gave out something like 4 free tier 8 perma-camos.  And this year, the perma camos cost gold, though at a, IIRC, 50%, which isn't all that bad.  I still kind of wish that they'd give out some free perma-camos.  But if they didn't want to give out such high tier ones, why not give out free tier 5 or 6 perma camos?  Something low enough level that it's not a big deal and more "promotional" (for lack of a better word).   Maybe perma camos for the Marblehead and Okhotnik, for a couple of examples.  Heck, something along the lines of that art deco "Freedom" camo for the Marblehead might be really nice!

• Cool 1

Members
98 posts
3,417 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Last year, IIRC, they gave out something like 4 free tier 8 perma-camos.

Last year's collection awarded Camos for Z-23, Kiev, Charles Martel, & New Orleans. Finishing everything awarded you with one for Monarch.

Honestly I loved last year's collection and how completing certain task would unlock you a collection piece. Hoping that there's still something in-store to make this year's more interesting

[PVE]
Members
5,310 posts
17,747 battles
58 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Maybe perma camos for the Marblehead and Okhotnik, for a couple of examples.  Heck, something along the lines of that art deco "Freedom" camo for the Marblehead might be really nice!

You sir need to be stripped and sprayed..... I much prefer perm camos for tech tree ships but am ok with alternate ones for premiums. They have zero appeal to me if the bonuses are the same though. The Freedom camo is really terrible IMHO. Just way overdone. If they dump that Eagle amidships they would be fine, gaudy, but fine. I would never dress my beloved Marblehead in such an outfit. Good day sir, I SAID GOOD DAY!   <insert old man grumblings here> 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
1 hour ago, _Pixi_ said:

Last year's collection awarded Camos for Z-23, Kiev, Charles Martel, & New Orleans. Finishing everything awarded you with one for Monarch.

Honestly I loved last year's collection and how completing certain task would unlock you a collection piece. Hoping that there's still something in-store to make this year's more interesting

Yes, I got all of those from the event, I remember now.

Sign in to follow this