Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

My Opinion on the Dis-Recommended Skills

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

228
[NGA-B]
Members
1,194 posts
7,594 battles

Wargaming recently added an article giving pointers towards certain skills. Among these were also skills that they discourage users from taking. I figured I'd stack up my wooden two cents and light a match.

High Alert on Destroyers: I'll agree that there are other, more valuable skills, but if one is going for a gunboat build (and thus making themselves vulnerable), then a faster repair party could definitely be appealing.

Preventive Maintenance: While I go with Priority Target, I could understand why people would take this skill on a cruiser. You're not exactly well-armored and while you are hardly a floating island, a number of cruisers are easy targets. Taking Preventive Maintenance means your less likely to lose something critical.

Center Direction For Catapult Aircraft: Again, not my personal highest priority, but I could see this skill being taken and used with success. The catapult aircraft is sometimes undervalued as not only can it help intercept planes, but it can also spot torpedoes (an important task especially if you have taken Def AA over Hydro). Not only that, but the fighter can be rather useful for disrupting a CV's attack while your AA is on cooldown. And that second plane means that a fighter is more likely going to be in the correct position to intercept an attack squad (instead of on the other side of your ship). I'd also argue that this skill is even more important on the lesser AA CLs/CAs (Japanese and French)

IFHE on Battleships: While wargaming does mention Preventive Maintenance to help your secondaries (though the wiki doesn't say whether or not it has this effect), it fails to take into account the benefit that some other skills have. A clear example of this is IFHE boosting the penetrating power of HE-based secondaries. This is especially important as it's only via IFHE that German and French 100mm secondaries are able to pen the hull armor of DDs. It also allows German 128mm guns to penetrate the 32mm armor of many BBs. So, arguably, I'd say this skill is rather important if you plan to take full advantage of your secondaries.

Demolition Expert on Battleships: Like with IFHE, they only looked at the effect on the main guns when this skill also contributes to secondaries. And since many secondaries only have a fire chance in the single digits, this skill actually gives a substantial boost to the likelihood of setting a fire. A German 128mm shell has a 5% of setting a fire, taking DE adds 2% to this total, effectively increasing it's fire-starting chance by 40%.

Well that's all for now. I just figured I'd rant a little about this subject since it struck that some of their opinions were a little odd (seriously, who uses Incoming Fire Alert on a BB? Just take Priority Target, which gives you a better idea of when you can show your side and if some sneaky DD has launched torps at you)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
2 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Wargaming recently added an article giving pointers towards certain skills. Among these were also skills that they discourage users from taking. I figured I'd stack up my wooden two cents and light a match.

High Alert on Destroyers: I'll agree that there are other, more valuable skills, but if one is going for a gunboat build (and thus making themselves vulnerable), then a faster repair party could definitely be appealing.

Preventive Maintenance: While I go with Priority Target, I could understand why people would take this skill on a cruiser. You're not exactly well-armored and while you are hardly a floating island, a number of cruisers are easy targets. Taking Preventive Maintenance means your less likely to lose something critical.

Center Direction For Catapult Aircraft: Again, not my personal highest priority, but I could see this skill being taken and used with success. The catapult aircraft is sometimes undervalued as not only can it help intercept planes, but it can also spot torpedoes (an important task especially if you have taken Def AA over Hydro). Not only that, but the fighter can be rather useful for disrupting a CV's attack while your AA is on cooldown. And that second plane means that a fighter is more likely going to be in the correct position to intercept an attack squad (instead of on the other side of your ship). I'd also argue that this skill is even more important on the lesser AA CLs/CAs (Japanese and French)

IFHE on Battleships: While wargaming does mention Preventive Maintenance to help your secondaries (though the wiki doesn't say whether or not it has this effect), it fails to take into account the benefit that some other skills have. A clear example of this is IFHE boosting the penetrating power of HE-based secondaries. This is especially important as it's only via IFHE that German and French 100mm secondaries are able to pen the hull armor of DDs. It also allows German 128mm guns to penetrate the 32mm armor of many BBs. So, arguably, I'd say this skill is rather important if you plan to take full advantage of your secondaries.

Demolition Expert on Battleships: Like with IFHE, they only looked at the effect on the main guns when this skill also contributes to secondaries. And since many secondaries only have a fire chance in the single digits, this skill actually gives a substantial boost to the likelihood of setting a fire. A German 128mm shell has a 5% of setting a fire, taking DE adds 2% to this total, effectively increasing it's fire-starting chance by 40%.

Well that's all for now. I just figured I'd rant a little about this subject since it struck that some of their opinions were a little odd (seriously, who uses Incoming Fire Alert on a BB? Just take Priority Target, which gives you a better idea of when you can show your side and if some sneaky DD has launched torps at you)

Yes, some of their opinions were a bit... ...odd, to say the least. I mean who WOULDN'T go for CE as their second level 4 skill on a CV? and yet they don't recommend it? WHY NOT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,270
[HINON]
Members
8,800 posts
55 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Just take Priority Target, which gives you a better idea of when you can show your side and if some sneaky DD has launched torps at you)

Priority target doesn't show when a ship has torps locked on you it only effects main batteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
759 posts
3,938 battles
7 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Priority target doesn't show when a ship has torps locked on you it only effects main batteries.

If it flickers up/down 1, you can reasonably expect torps. The absence of a marker in itself tells you something.

As for direction center, I find that choosing it actually makes each individual plane weaker. Maybe airspeed is part of the DPS calculation or something, but my cat planes die MUCH faster with two. I think it's more useful for those using it to spot torps or ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
12 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

If it flickers up/down 1, you can reasonably expect torps. The absence of a marker in itself tells you something.

As for direction center, I find that choosing it actually makes each individual plane weaker. Maybe airspeed is part of the DPS calculation or something, but my cat planes die MUCH faster with two. I think it's more useful for those using it to spot torps or ships.

This is a very important point.  But a really cagey DD player who knows this can really screw with the head of an enemy who tries to use this PT tactic.  There are two ways to do this.

1.  Just leave torps enabled and don't switch to guns.  Then they'll never have any idea when you launch torps until the torps are actually spotted.

2.  Switch between guns and torps constantly and randomly.  Even if you're in a 1v1 against an enemy BB that doesn't see you, this constant switching can really annoy them.  And they'll learn that they can't trust the PT counter to give them any useful information, at least from you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,866 battles
1 hour ago, legoboy0401 said:

High Alert on Destroyers: I'll agree that there are other, more valuable skills, but if one is going for a gunboat build (and thus making themselves vulnerable), then a faster repair party could definitely be appealing.

I use it on almost all of my DDs along with JOAT, repair party every 32.5 seconds is a good thing.

1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

And that second plane means that a fighter is more likely going to be in the correct position to intercept an attack squad (instead of on the other side of your ship).

I use this one often on BBs, It would really help if the planes did not go in opposite directions and were staggered 180 degrees, Why would you want both planes in front and back of your ship at the same time?

 

1 hour ago, legoboy0401 said:

While wargaming does mention Preventive Maintenance to help your secondaries

Which it doesn't and doesn't lend credence to WGs recommendations.

1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Preventive Maintenance: While I go with Priority Target, I could understand why people would take this skill on a cruiser. You're not exactly well-armored and while you are hardly a floating island, a number of cruisers are easy targets. Taking Preventive Maintenance means your less likely to lose something critical.

Once again, I use this on just about all of my ships and my modules don't get taken out very much. I can't even remember the last time I lost engines or steering on a Cruiser or BB.

 

1 hour ago, legoboy0401 said:

Demolition Expert on Battleships: Like with IFHE, they only looked at the effect on the main guns when this skill also contributes to secondaries. And since many secondaries only have a fire chance in the single digits, this skill actually gives a substantial boost to the likelihood of setting a fire

I tried this on Richelieu (full secondary build) for Hermes and switched it back to superintendent, It was viable there but other skills seemed more important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,576
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,571 posts
14,010 battles
51 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

If it flickers up/down 1, you can reasonably expect torps. The absence of a marker in itself tells you something.

As for direction center, I find that choosing it actually makes each individual plane weaker. Maybe airspeed is part of the DPS calculation or something, but my cat planes die MUCH faster with two. I think it's more useful for those using it to spot torps or ships.

I have fun games for working around PT on people.

1.  Have torpedoes selected way before the engagement.  When I stalk with a DD, torps are already selected.  The target may get the typical DETECTED! warning but if there are other ships they can't quite isolate it to a DD stalking.  They will never get that little PT shift as a warning.

2.  If I have any torpedo capable ship, I'll toy with the target.  I'll switch to main battery and to torpedoes briefly, and back to main battery.  Even if I am far away from the target.  Even if I'm in a Tirpitz 14km away from the target.  The point is to give repeated, false indicators that people are switching to torps, and possibly help out the team's torpedo users that actually have a more valid shot in using them.  Flood the target with so many false indicators that it's hard which one of the indicators is the true threat.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[FOG]
Members
267 posts
4,538 battles

I am surprised that Adrenaline Rush (or "Rage"....LOL) is not mentioned at all, especially for BBs and frankly for some cruisers....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,576
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,571 posts
14,010 battles
9 minutes ago, DJC_499 said:

I am surprised that Adrenaline Rush (or "Rage"....LOL) is not mentioned at all, especially for BBs and frankly for some cruisers....

AR however is a commonly used trait at every ship type except CVs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I use it on almost all of my DDs along with JOAT, repair party every 32.5 seconds is a good thing.

I use this one often on BBs, It would really help if the planes did not go in opposite directions and were staggered 180 degrees, Why would you want both planes in front and back of your ship at the same time?

 

Which it doesn't and doesn't lend credence to WGs recommendations.

Once again, I use this on just about all of my ships and my modules don't get taken out very much. I can't even remember the last time I lost engines or steering on a Cruiser or BB.

 

I tried this on Richelieu (full secondary build) for Hermes and switched it back to superintendent, It was viable there but other skills seemed more important.

Why and by what sorcery are you using the quote function on another a quote? None of that was said by me. I said the part about aircraft carriers and CE, none of the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,669
[TBW]
Members
6,318 posts
11,866 battles
27 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Why and by what sorcery are you using the quote function on another a quote? None of that was said by me. I said the part about aircraft carriers and CE, none of the rest.

oops my bad, thought I was quoting the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×