You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Uncle_Lou

Atago now good only as a port queen?

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
243 posts
3,727 battles

So I used to love Atago, but had not taken her for a spin in a really long time.  Took her out for 3 games tonight and am tempted to just sell the ship.  First game was on Ocean, deleted by a Montana, less than 6k dmg done.  Second game was on Atlantic, deleted by a Midway, less than 6k damage done.  Third game was Tears of the Epicenter, deleted by a Fletcher, 16k dmg done.  All three games were blowout losses, too.

Atago has been powercrept so badly she is just not fun to play.  Uptiered in the majority of battles, she doesn't have the range, RoF, AA, or armor to keep herself in play long enough to impact the battle.  I was literally out-ranged by everything except the DDs in all 3 battles tonight.  The 16 second reload is so bad its laughable, and any CV from tiers 7-10 will just laugh at your AA.  And I took a citadel from a frickin Helena at over 10km for cripes sake.

I realize that 3 games is a terribly small sample size, but it was just rage inducing bad.  And this is a ship that I previously had almost a 1200 WTR in (not spectacular, but certainly not 25k dmg over 3 games bad).  She needs some help in a bad way.  Reduce her reload down to 12 or 13 seconds at the very least.  I just don't even know how you can be effective in the ship with the current meta.  I hate to sell it, but I'm sure as hell not going to play it anymore.

Rant over.  Super frustrated. 

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

Use your concealment to hunt destroyers and kite, while popping out torpedoes so now and than.
Also keep your situational awareness up.

Don't sail in a straight-line, which you make me think you are doing by the topic you posted. 
Getting blapped by a Monty and getting citadel'd by a Helena...???

[WOLF9]
Members
243 posts
3,727 battles
1 hour ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Use your concealment to hunt destroyers and kite, while popping out torpedoes so now and than.
Also keep your situational awareness up.

Don't sail in a straight-line, which you make me think you are doing by the topic you posted. 
Getting blapped by a Monty and getting citadel'd by a Helena...???

Noooo... Sailing in a straight line in IJN cruisers is just asking to be deleted.  Monty caught me in a turn, he just timed it and he was much closer than I was expecting.  With the Helena I was turning into some torps; it was either eat the torps or show some side to a Helena.  Sure as hell wasn't expecting a cit from a 152.

It just feels like Atago has so many weaknesses that have to be compensated for, and it just isn't fun.  I had forgotten that ranked started, so the queue may have been very light in t8 hence the uptiering. 

[HINON]
Members
2,199 posts
6,177 battles

Sit back, target ships already engaging something else and go dark, drop torps and run using ur excellent stealth if anything comes to hunt you.

Atago is still highly competitive as a support ship spewing fire

[RKLES]
Members
7,097 posts
8,745 battles

Considering how well I still do on my Mogami, the Atago is similar enough to still do quite well. And just saw one of my Clan Mayes in Ranked that happened to end up on my team do amazing job in his Atago last night. Those kind of ships are often good at hit and run attacks where you light some fire on BBs then go dark, or ambush attacks in island areas, or traveling in DD or cruiser wolf backs to hunt other cruisers or DDs.

IJN Cruisers are brutal against DDs with those numerous main guns that can cause damage even with near misses with HE shells. DDs are also not typically a fan of your IJN hydro that spoils their Torpedo counter attacks on you or detects the, if they try to smoke up.

if BBs are firing at you just go bow on or stern on to them and that very narrow hull can be a pain in the neck for them to hit if you are a few kilometers out from them, they might as well be shooting at a DD that is bow or stern on to them. 

Hope this helps at least a little. :Smile_Default:

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,885 posts
8,168 battles

T8 does not belong with T10

WOWS does not understand its losing people in battles. 7/8/9

or

9/10

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,499 battles
5 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

So I used to love Atago, but had not taken her for a spin in a really long time.  Took her out for 3 games tonight and am tempted to just sell the ship.  First game was on Ocean, deleted by a Montana, less than 6k dmg done.  Second game was on Atlantic, deleted by a Midway, less than 6k damage done.  Third game was Tears of the Epicenter, deleted by a Fletcher, 16k dmg done.  All three games were blowout losses, too.

Atago has been powercrept so badly she is just not fun to play.  Uptiered in the majority of battles, she doesn't have the range, RoF, AA, or armor to keep herself in play long enough to impact the battle.  I was literally out-ranged by everything except the DDs in all 3 battles tonight.  The 16 second reload is so bad its laughable, and any CV from tiers 7-10 will just laugh at your AA.  And I took a citadel from a frickin Helena at over 10km for cripes sake.

I realize that 3 games is a terribly small sample size, but it was just rage inducing bad.  And this is a ship that I previously had almost a 1200 WTR in (not spectacular, but certainly not 25k dmg over 3 games bad).  She needs some help in a bad way.  Reduce her reload down to 12 or 13 seconds at the very least.  I just don't even know how you can be effective in the ship with the current meta.  I hate to sell it, but I'm sure as hell not going to play it anymore.

Rant over.  Super frustrated. 

I stopped playing Atago a long time ago.. as you said this it’s one boat time and powercreep have not been kind to and running a Cruiser like a Torps boat can be fun at times but in this day and age is a recipe for disaster

[ARP2]
Members
1,223 posts
3,566 battles

Still playing my Atago, still loving her.  Had two good games last night with two very different play styles.  First one was typical long-mid range IJN fire spewing while supporting DDs as best i could.  Second was playing as DD.  Low damage game, but secured two of the three caps.  Both wins.  Ship is still a rockstar no matter what anyone says.

Edited by Hatework

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,415 battles

Fairly often I have seen Atago as one of the last ships in a tier 10 battle.

They have a heal, great torpedoes and heavy hitting IJN flamethrowers. 

It is how the player adapts and plays her.

It is how the player equips her mods..

It is how the player specs the captain. 

Members
39 posts
1,388 battles

Playing against Atago in BBs, I'd say they're a frustrating cruiser to deal with. 

Almost like I'm dealing with a dd with its great concealment. Fire chance hurts pretty bad as well.

Edited by VanillaPepsi

[SAY]
Members
15 posts
3,176 battles

i found after numerous battles that the citadel area for IJN cruiser (Mogami) is basically the entire mid section from turret to turret. Any BB shell hit in that area has a very high chance of doing max damage. I have been citadeled from DDs a few times. Using your Ap shells on DD is useless of course. Using your AP shells on Cruisers do minimal damage most of the time and HE shells tend to do more damage and if you use flags and capt perks you stand a start a fire.  Using you AP shells on BBs is well completely useless you will do virtually no damage you have to use HE shells on BBs and hope to start fires and burn em to the water line. The reload time is so long you have to fire turn reaim fire turn again. getting up close to any ship is very dangerous for IJN cruisers even if other ships are spotted and being fired at you get spotted everyone will target you to get the easy kill. I have been target by other ships that switched to me that were firing at a DD. Basically I have to sit back and try to snip from max range and use torps for close defense/corner clearing. Firing at max range you do not get to many of your shells hitting due to dispersion seams so wide. I have shot at a ship full broad side that was side view to me and literally had my shells all around the ship and not one shell hit the ship.

as far as torps go there fire arc is seem limited you basically have to expose your whole to get a your torps off at a target.  The numer of torps is good and the torps have a decent speed but never use wide spread even BBs will be able to avoid them unless they are not paying attention or just do not care about your torps.

The armor well it supposedly has more armor than other cruisers but seems a lot less effective. The armor thickness is lot less than the actual thickness of the ship historically had. But this maybe due to game balancing for armor thickness.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,567 posts
14,005 battles

The average player in this game thinks certain things cannot be done, that certain builds are the only viable builds in the game.

The average player in WoWS is a Potato.

Atago is fine.  She has advantages to her that other Cruisers her tier wish they had.

• Cool 1

[SSN]
[SSN]
Members
35 posts
9,779 battles

Some T8s can still survive the T8 MM Upgrade hell we all face now. Most don't unless in the hands of a very skilled player. Wish I was one of those. I see many posts pointing out that most of the time if you play T8, you ARE not top tier...ever, and generally half the time you become cannon fodder to fill out the T9/10 matches). Seems true for me as well..... And that said, I think the MM for T8 ships is one of the most argued about topics on the Forum in one way or another. Even the community contributers are bringing up the subject now.

However, the bottomline so far is that WG has no interest in addressing the +/- 2 tier MM design now or in the near future. The only thing I think that would affect any decision on the MM is for "cash flow" to stop coming in .. and people list that as a reason here in the forum. And that won't happen... it is evident when I see players with minimal games under their belt sailing in a Tirpitz, hiding behind islands, playing on the 1 line... etc. So for now Captains, it is what it is. Enjoy.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,567 posts
14,005 battles

The MM adjustment a bunch of people around these boards want is for their Tier VIII to not see Tier X while they exclusively beat up on Tier VI ships.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,017 posts
11,538 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The MM adjustment a bunch of people around these boards want is for their Tier VIII to not see Tier X while they exclusively beat up on Tier VI ships.

That's not true.  Most want +1 or -1.  A t8 would never see t6's in that situation.  The crew who oppose that just want to keep curb kicking t8s with their t10s.

Members
1,504 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

I think it's fair to say the Atago has been power creeped a bit; she could stand a 2 second reload buff and about another .5-1km range increase on her guns and she would be fine.  But will it happen or be even looked into, that is the real question.  Still a good boat but not as strong as it once was.

Pete

[WOLFK]
[WOLFK]
Members
92 posts
12,635 battles

Yes it feels that Atago/Takao has been 'power crept' some since their introduction and having to face T10 on a regular basis is rough.   I have found though by changing my play style by playing a bit softer at the beginning of the battle and looking to finish off (ok kill steal) damaged ships after the mid point (more fire anyone?) means the Atago/Takao is more than able to have a huge impact on the outcome.   Could it use a little buff.. maybe  (what is the reload on the 203 mogami?)    Is it tough to play at T10... yes, like any other cruiser.   Is it still a beast when top tier.. without a doubt.

Members
65 posts
2,055 battles

I played my Atago recently in ranked for the first time in a while. Her stealth is nice, but her guns fire so slow and her range is a bit on the short side. The torps are nice, but players seem to have such a sense of awareness concerning them landing torp hits is challenging. Shes got nice gun arcs but the RoF makes it hard to hunt DDs and shes not good against other cruisers as they can just out DP you. Her ability to heal is the real trump card she has, so you can sometimes keep fighting after suffering a bad cit or torp hit.

I played two games with the Atago and switched to my Mogami with the 155s and my IFHE captain, and noticed I did a lot more damage in the Mogami. The Mogami seems like she can hit harder, has more guns and a much faster RoF. Not having that heal though you just cringe every time you see some HPs chipped away from you.