You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Scrapyard_

My thoughts on tier 10 ranked.

19 comments in this topic

[FORM]
Members
257 posts
4,816 battles

No this is not a thread about bad players at all. My thoughts on tier 8/10 ranked are that i enjoyed ranked better when it was tier 6/8. I am just so burned out on tier 10 play right now it is just painful to play tier 10 ships. Do not get me wrong i like tier 10 ships, but just have been playing them so much do to other things going on in game i am burnt. I know i am not alone in this though that is only from players i have talked about it with so i can't speak for the general population. Would be nice WG if you would next ranked season give us a break from tier 10. 

/Salute o7

• Cool 5

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
560 posts
5,112 battles

I wouldnt mind it being tier 6 then 8 then 10. But at the same time it would be nice to have a longer break between the end of CWs and beginning of ranked.

Members
1 post
789 battles

I just want to say what a great season it was.  Got to lvl 15 today--and that will be it for me.  Unlikely to have any tier 10s in time to play the rest of the campaign.  Not sure what they are thinking.  There is a whole game besides tier 10 that they could use and they don't.  Welp.  Back to randoms.

• Cool 1

[INFIN]
[INFIN]
Members
4 posts
3,332 battles

Had a lot of fun when it was 8.   Moving to 10 it went garbage fast.

I don't know why.  Maybe I suck.  OK, yes I suck.  

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Rank 15 came WAAAAY too soon, and while I'm glad to have a decent excuse to work on my Hindenburg I'm also positively dreading the next fifteen ranks of nothing but tier 10. Have mercy devs, I don't even have a 19 point captain yet!

[WOLF6]
Members
1,828 posts
4,836 battles

Five wins in the Lo Yang and bang...15. 

NINE battles to get to 14...

Yeah, this is gonna hurt...

[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
125 posts
5,199 battles

It's amazing,Ranked at Tier 10 validated what I always though about Random at tier 10. Too many idiots don't know their ships. 

Members
292 posts
5,044 battles
1 hour ago, Thornir said:

Five wins in the Lo Yang and bang...15. 

NINE battles to get to 14...

Yeah, this is gonna hurt...

Don't you love baddies in T10s who don't understand positioning, angling, target priority, or how to function at a basic competitive level?

Aren't you so glad you get to play the next 15 ranks in t10s with BBs who can one-shot you from across the map in a cruiser, cruisers who can radar you for a minute, and.... well actually DDs are kinda garbage in ranked. (There's not a 4th class, right? I've never seen anything in ranked that would hint that).

Ranked right now is:

Baddies in BBs.
Woosters / Zaos / Hindy / Stalingrad / Harugumo farming damage from anywhere they can sit.
DDs growing extra torp tubes from all the radiation.
(I think there's a 4th class)

And you will never save a star because someone else is always 2 squares back farming all game.

Enjoy your "competitive" game mode!

• Cool 1

[_AFW_]
Members
979 posts
7,021 battles

I am used to toxic chat to a point, but this ranked season playing in the tier 10 is the most toxic I have ever seen ranked. What surprises me even more this season is some of this toxic chat is coming form top rated clans. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Earlier today I saw a BB sitting back trying to snipe and farm damage. Not a single shot from his eight guns was hitting anything that I could see. Was this a Conqueror with the 457mms? Oh no, THAT I saw charging into melee with a destroyer. No, the sniper was a Tirpitz. I repeat: A. Tirpitz.

I have no words for this season. I know I'm not doing much better in some regards, but... Dear LORD people at least try to play your ships how they're intended!

Members
4,745 posts
5,464 battles

Look at the bright side: With the spectacular 'BANG!" the first day of ranked has gone off with, and the impending supersonic plummet in ranked participation due to various things, I think it's fair to suspect that WG won't be pulling this ridiculous stuff like 'T10 ranked' in the future. At least not making it so the vast majority of ranked is played at T10.

As a side note. I played my one battle in ranked for the flags. Shame I can't get all the flags up to R12, but since I don't have a T10, I'll stop at R17 this season since progressing any further is futile. The participation flag this season isn't even that great anyway.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,111 posts
8,758 battles
3 hours ago, Panic512 said:

I wouldnt mind it being tier 6 then 8 then 10. But at the same time it would be nice to have a longer break between the end of CWs and beginning of ranked.

Totally agree

Members
202 posts
2,700 battles

A lot of people are missing the reason why they changed it from last season, and prior seasons. The other tiers all suffer GREATLY from premium ship-itis. At tier 8 if you don't have a Loyang, Kidd, or Akizuki for DDs go home. Kutuzov as well for cruisers. Tier 7 has the Belfast/tier 7 BB problem. Lower than that you get an insane smoke meta without any radar. Tier 9 would be dominated by whoever brought the most Missouri/Musashi/Black. So the answer is tier ten.

And why did they stop tier 8 at rank 15? Because past season was hell in the 10-5 bracket. Everey last person I know who showed as much as a passing interest in ranked made it to 10. Now imagine those people playing tier 10 ships in the second to last bracket. Forever. Doesn't matter how many games they lost, because once they made it, you got stuck with them. For five excrutiating ranks it was nothing but a roll of the dice. To prevent this they did one of the few things they could, and  pushed the tier 8 play that a lot of people were buying into lower, so that as long as you don't wait until the season is almost over to get started, at some point on the ladder the people who shouldn't be there will be weeded out. This makes tremendous difference when playing things that need support to function like destroyers.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
20 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

A lot of people are missing the reason why they changed it from last season, and prior seasons. The other tiers all suffer GREATLY from premium ship-itis. At tier 8 if you don't have a Loyang, Kidd, or Akizuki for DDs go home. Kutuzov as well for cruisers. Tier 7 has the Belfast/tier 7 BB problem. Lower than that you get an insane smoke meta without any radar. Tier 9 would be dominated by whoever brought the most Missouri/Musashi/Black. So the answer is tier ten.

I've got to disagree with that analysis, at least the diagnosis of "premium-itis." Oh sure, lots of people bring premiums to tier 8 ranked. I brought my Tirpitz last season and it carried a lot of matches. But I also did well in my Hipper and New Orleans. In fact I hardly recall seeing any Kutuzovs, at least none that stood out. The ships that stuck out most for me were the Bismarck sisters, Chapayev, and... Okay, I'll concede Loyang, but there were plenty of Kageros and Bensons too, not to mention the infestation of Asashio derp.

I'd also say that tier 9 would be more viable than you think. I see a lot more Essexes and Taihos running around than Midways and Hakuryus, so there's your Musashi counter, not to mention everyone and their mother knowing to shoot the cheek for dank citadels these days. Missouri's "OP" factor is nothing more than a short duration consumable and the ability to print money, so I fail to see how that's so scary (I know I don't fear them any more than a standard Iowa). And Black? How many people actually have it right now? I'd be willing to bet that there are more Stalingrads in tier 10 ranked than there would be Blacks in tier 9.

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
724 posts
7,351 battles

Had 1 battle with a Stalingrad in it today, 61% WR player don’t recall clan.

3rd on the roster, our team won.

Beta Testers
2,847 posts
4,081 battles
4 hours ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Don't you love baddies in T10s who don't understand positioning, angling, target priority, or how to function at a basic competitive level?

Aren't you so glad you get to play the next 15 ranks in t10s with BBs who can one-shot you from across the map in a cruiser, cruisers who can radar you for a minute, and.... well actually DDs are kinda garbage in ranked. (There's not a 4th class, right? I've never seen anything in ranked that would hint that).

Ranked right now is:

Baddies in BBs.
Woosters / Zaos / Hindy / Stalingrad / Harugumo farming damage from anywhere they can sit.
DDs growing extra torp tubes from all the radiation.
(I think there's a 4th class)

And you will never save a star because someone else is always 2 squares back farming all game.

Enjoy your "competitive" game mode!

and people have the gal to say that t10 is only for "experienced" players.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,477 battles
5 hours ago, The_Painted_Target said:

well actually DDs are kinda garbage in ranked.

That's because most decent DD drivers are avoiding ranked like the plague. I'm doing T10 in my Zao. Did a few DD before ranked 15 because things were so easy. Not 15 and higher.

I plan on only getting to Rank 5 for the steel.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I ended up respec'ing my Chappy captain to go into an 8 battle but then clicked to rank battles and found out I was already in tier 10 ranks... Oops. 

The formula generally seems the same as always: Bulk moves to nearest cap then transition to the next nearest cap and send a floater DD to the alternate to harass or take it outright. Someone runs into the bulk of the enemy fleet and it's either a knife fight between main bodies to the bitter end or both sides stand off across the map and wait for the other side to get impatient and shoot at each other from 15-20km until someone wins. 

I'm in the league of people who would like to see rank spread out through the tiers in steps to add some variety to the grind. I'm fine with higher ranks needing higher tier ships... but I'd like to see some reason to have low tier ships too aside from cooperative style sloperations. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1