Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

Is it me or do a lot of Japanese Ships in wows have matching names to Naruto characters?

22 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,288 posts
3,583 battles

Time for a light hearted post after all of my serious posts. It seems like a lot of Japanese ships match Naruto character names Nagato, Harugumo, Yamato and so many others. Is this a coincidence or is that how some anime’s are taking ship names for characters.

• Funny 2

Beta Testers
9,038 posts

Not really.  Japanese ship names are taken from Japanese locations, which are in turn some are taken from myth.  Yamato for example, is the ancient name of Japan.  Nagato happens to be a Japanese family name as well as a name for two towns and a province.   Nagato is also a common name for many anime characters, like you know who Yuki Nagato is?  

And of course, there is Akatsuki, which is rather poetic and means red moon.   It also refers to the dawn.   Akatsuki is also the name for a Japanese space probe.  

• Cool 3

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,326 posts
3,637 battles

Going to go out on a limb here and mention that WW2 kind of predates Naruto buy only a few decades.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

To be fair a lot of that in Eva was direct and intentional homage, you need only look at Asuka Langley Soryu for that.

Then again it still mystifies me why they changed her name to Shikinami in the remake.

Members
2,386 posts
2,172 battles

Makes me wonder how many parents name their kids Alex or Alexander with the historical figure in mind? Or Benjamin? Or myths like Arethusa? 

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,068 posts
7,506 battles
54 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

To be fair a lot of that in Eva was direct and intentional homage, you need only look at Asuka Langley Soryu for that.

Then again it still mystifies me why they changed her name to Shikinami in the remake.

Probably a thematic thing because the destroyer Shikinami is a sister ship to Ayanami.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,147 posts
3,085 battles
9 hours ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Going to go out on a limb here and mention that WW2 kind of predates Naruto buy only a few decades.

^ This.

If anything, OP's question should have been framed the other way around.

Beta Testers
9,038 posts

There are also many Japanese people whose names end with Tanaka and Yamamoto, but I don't believe it has anything to do with Raizo and Isoroku.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

A fair amount of Anime tends to have strongly portrait characters to have some form of name association with a former naval ship class. Which like similar to a class be attributed to a size of geographical region; Province, Prefecture, City, Town, regional Point Of Interest (Poi?). 

Outside of some of the Anime's listed another not yet mentioned that comes to mind is: 

Mikasa from Attack on Titan. 

WoWS - T2 IJN BB. 

Namesake Mount Mikasa in Naga. Similarly the Kongo-class, named after mountains. 

Or Mogami named after a River. 

The Famed Ships, because of their fame, have popular names in Anime because when you hear them spoken, the listeners also think of the Point of Interest or the ship-class, Then the character. Depending on what is perceived to be the most significant relationship between name, place, and character BOTH are thought about in either the forefront or back of mind. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

Yukikaze!

300px-Yukikaze_2.jpg

210?cb=20130919071645

hqdefault.jpg

1135.jpg

Yuudachi!

1200px-Yudachi_II.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

o0Bej1Z.jpg

The JMSDF like other navies, recycles previously used names.   As you can see with Yudachi.  Kaga is also used again as another example, and with the Japanese being provocative, uses the name for their new "helicopter" carrier.  Her neighbors weren't exactly pleased with that.

[SOUP]
7,304 posts
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Maya is back too, she rolled off the slips only a couple months ago and is planned to enter service in 2020

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
Just now, Chobittsu said:

Maya is back too, she rolled off the slips only a couple months ago and is planned to enter service in 2020

Yeah, they reuse a lot of old names.  They even had a Yukikaze DD from IIRC the 1950s until the 1980s.  Also, Hyuga enters Pearl Harbor!  But not the BB version!

Seeing warships with the "Sun Ray" naval ensign entering Pearl Harbor never ceases to amuse me :Smile_teethhappy:

Hope they had good liberty in PH.  Going overseas to different ports is half the draw with the navy life.

Beta Testers
9,038 posts

Not sure if Yukikaze will be reused.  Yukikaze has been lucky for the ship itself, but not those around her.   And no, its never been reused since the war.  

Izumo, Kaga, Ise and Hyuga has been reused for the helicopter carriers.

Kongo, Kirishima, Myoko, Chokai, Atago, Ashigara  have been reused for their Aegis type destroyers. Maya is the most recent and I am betting that Takao will be the next name used.  

Japan's indigenous destroyers, those smaller and not using the Aegis system but home grown radars and combat management systems, use names from IJN destroyers like Akizuki and lately the Asahi class.  All the destroyers for the Akizuki class, like their WW2 counterparts, are named after the phases of the moon.

Oh, and Soryu and Hiryu are both subs.

Edited by Eisennagel
  • Cool 1

[KNTAI]
Members
1,084 posts
5,943 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yeah, they reuse a lot of old names.  They even had a Yukikaze DD from IIRC the 1950s until the 1980s.  Also, Hyuga enters Pearl Harbor!  But not the BB version!

Seeing warships with the "Sun Ray" naval ensign entering Pearl Harbor never ceases to amuse me :Smile_teethhappy:

Hope they had good liberty in PH.  Going overseas to different ports is half the draw with the navy life.

I remember seeing a photo some years ago of Japanese sailors Manning the Rails, that is, lining up and saluting, the wreck of the Arizona.  But I can't find that photo anymore, my Google-fu is failing.

Edited by Cruiser_SanJuan

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
9 hours ago, Eisennagel said:

Not sure if Yukikaze will be reused.  Yukikaze has been lucky for the ship itself, but not those around her.   And no, its never been reused since the war. 

The entire IJN had been unlucky in WWII, with or without Yukikaze being part of any of those groups that have sailed into combat.

The JMSDF have had a Yukikaze, a DD from the 1950s that was decommissioned in the 1980s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harukaze-class_destroyer

Currently no Yukikaze in the JMSDF.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Now if there's a ship whose name they won't reuse for bad luck, that would be Aoba. Much as I love her in-game, that ship was PERPETUALLY pink IRL.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

The Japanese were trying to get Yukikaze back from the ROCN when they were decommissioning her.  So that tells you what they think about her.  I don't know of any other cases where a country that loses a ship as war reparations is trying to get back their old ship back.

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,068 posts
7,506 battles
6 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Now if there's a ship whose name they won't reuse for bad luck, that would be Aoba. Much as I love her in-game, that ship was PERPETUALLY pink IRL.

Hey now, Aoba didn't TK anyone.  But she does have a constant karma rating of 0 since half her team reports her after every match.

Beta Testers
9,038 posts

Basically, what you think of the word "Akatsuki" decides what you are.

Naval history nerd.

YcgM5mK.jpg

WoWs nerd.

CpUtMkp.jpg

Space nerd.

hMPGdJp.jpg

Weeb

pF0Sh4u.jpg

WoWs + Weeb

0gjQoJ6.jpg

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Oh please @Eisennagel, that's not accurate at all. There are WAAAAAY more answers than just that in the "weeb" category.

4 hours ago, Seraphil said:

Hey now, Aoba didn't TK anyone.  But she does have a constant karma rating of 0 since half her team reports her after every match.

I mean, you don't have to sink a friendly to turn pink, and she did get two Fubuki class ships and both Furutakas killed.

Sign in to follow this