You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

28 comments in this topic

[DPS]
Members
4 posts
1,535 battles

Have Iowa, love it, but loosing credits fast.  Would for example, buy new mexico be a good credit earner, or go back to beginning and do cruiser tree? Which cruiser, which nation? Any info would be greatly appreceated.    

Members
3,407 posts
6,067 battles

Any ship from 4-6 or so can earn good credits.   The best will depend on how you play, what you play well, premium time or not etc...  High tiers are meant to force people back down for credits OR buy premium time/ships to earn credits.

Edited by CylonRed

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles

Here is what I do:

• Get good. I know that everyone says this and newer players hate to hear it but the more damage you do the more credits you will receive.
  • Fly the economic signals. -10% cost and +20 % credit signals are a must. Purchase them with coal if you don't have any.
  • Don free camouflage. Select "More signals and Camouflage" for crates.
  • Keep track of your spending. When I first got a Fletcher I had to play two games at tier VI for every one I played at tier IX jsut to break even. Now I at least break even at tier X for the most part and actually make money with the Des Moines as it has the Go Navy event Premium canmo on it.
  • Belong to a clan and research the -10% cost building.
  • Use cost-benefit special signals and camos as you can get them.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,544 posts
3,734 battles
3 minutes ago, dgh_18 said:

Have Iowa, love it, but loosing credits fast.  Would for example, buy new mexico be a good credit earner, or go back to beginning and do cruiser tree? Which cruiser, which nation? Any info would be greatly appreceated.    

For tech tree I would say starting a cruiser line would be good to do for killing two birds with one stone.

Can't say what cruiser would be good for you personally, but I enjoyed the russian cruisers so far for their high velocity guns around the mid-upper tiers

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
408 posts
6 minutes ago, dgh_18 said:

As a general rule, you need to buy permanent camos for tier 9 and 10 ships. Their service costs are very high without any permanent camos.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles
1 minute ago, Leopard_IX said:

As a general rule, you need to buy permanent camos for tier 9 and 10 ships. Their service costs are very high without any permanent camos.

Not a good idea to buy perma camos for tier 9. Most of them suck anyway. 

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,716 battles

OK then your avatar tells me you have 691 games under your belt and you have a tier 9 ship, that tells me you either only played USN BBs  zoomed up the tech tree at the speed of light using every credit you had to get there now your broke because your playing a high tier ship, or you FREE XP'd your way up to Iowa  either way that was a mistake . 

Hate to brake it to you but it should not be in  a race to see how quick you can get to tier 10, what do you expect a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Slow down go back to lower tiers earn some money and have some fun in the process.

regards    

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Here is what I do:

• Get good. I know that everyone says this and newer players hate to hear it but the more damage you do the more credits you will receive.
  • Fly the economic signals. -10% cost and +20 % credit are a must. Purchase them with coal if you don't have any.
  • Don free camouflage. Select "More signals and Camouflage" for crates.
  • Keep track of your spending. WHen I first got a Fletcher I had to play two games at tier VI for every one I played at tier IX jsut to break even. Now I at least break even at tier X for the most part and actually make money with the DSes Moines as it has the Go Navy event Premium canmo on it.
  • Belong to a clan and research the -10% cost building.
  • Use cost-benefit special signals and camos as you can get them.

Another consideration is being thrifty on what Premium Consumables you use.  If you are on a budget, I can understand spending the extra credits for Damage Control Party II and Repair Party II, but do you really need that Catapult Fighter II?   That Cat Fighter II is 22k worth of credits, like all Premium Consumables.  For some ships, especially those High Tier USN CLs with TONS of Consumables, that can rack up a lot of Credits.

The part in bold is a common, old school WOWS practice for the F2P guys to feed their High Tier habits.  Need to dip into lower tiers some and then back up high.

For Camo that reduces servicing costs, look for those that say: "Cost of the ship's post battle service  -[ ]%"

Lastly, when it comes to events, keep a sharp lookout for Free Perma-Camo.  They're rare but sometimes WG does this.  You need to jump on such events if an event is giving out Free Perma-Camo to a ship you have and like.  They've even done Free Tier X Perma-Camo, and that alone can cost about 5000 Doubloons on a normal day.

[DPS]
Members
4 posts
1,535 battles

Thanks everyone.  I know I do not have the battle experience all of you have, but I have studied and learned, and will need to continue to do so for many more battles.  I will go back to beginning in the cruiser line and move forward. While doing so,  I will keep an eye out for all of your suggested possibilities for credits.  Again, thanks everyone.  P.S.  tm63au, You are exactly right.  I went up the U.S. battleship tree, but did have fun, other than the Colorado,  changing gun accuracy drove me crazy. 

Beta Testers
1,287 posts
3,583 battles

Well you could always just use PayPal and get the Premium camo for Iowa. $20 I think it is since usually 2,000dubloon=$10. Cheaper than grabbing most premium tier 6,7,or 8’s for that matter. This should cut down on your credit losses if you play good. Captain’s academy Ichase youtube do it you’ll thank me later.

Members
301 posts
6 battles
1 hour ago, dgh_18 said:

Not to talk crap to you, OP, but how are you only doing 13k average damage with the Iowa? Every BB you have after T5 is 20k or less. You should watch some vids on youtube and learn how to use your ships, and play low tier until you get a good handle on the game.

• Cool 1

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
914 posts
6,098 battles
2 hours ago, dgh_18 said:

I would strongly urge buying a premium ship. I know some are hesitant at the cost, even if you get a T8 at $40-45, the cost sails off into insignificance when compared to the hours you spend playing! (If you're like most of us.) 

As to which one... Pick your favorite ship so far, find the premium closest to it and get that. 

If that's really just not an option for you, pick your favorite tier 5-6 ship; play the heck out of it! 

[-WPG-]
Members
722 posts
3,127 battles
2 hours ago, pinkship9001 said:

Not to talk crap to you, OP, but how are you only doing 13k average damage with the Iowa? Every BB you have after T5 is 20k or less. You should watch some vids on youtube and learn how to use your ships, and play low tier until you get a good handle on the game.

Yeah, those numbers are so crazy low that it makes me think you (OP) haven't been introduced to the aiming mechanic. 

First go into your settings and enable the dynamic crosshair.  Nevermind the differences in crosshairs at this point. Dynamic is best. 

Next, when you zoom in to aim at a ship, you will see your shell travel time. If it says 8 seconds, put the eighth tickmark in the middle of the ship. This assumes that ship is travelling roughly 30kts. You'll learn to adjust as you get more experience, and can better gauge ships' speeds. 

That's the basics. Here's a vid that may also help. 

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
12 hours ago, sansfaille said:

Not a good idea to buy perma camos for tier 9. Most of them suck anyway. 

If you are veteran player, you will probably have other options that make perma camo less desirable (such as decent surplus of consumable camouflages with similar bonuses, signal flags, free XP, premium time).  But if you are new player with first stock T9, it may not be such a bad idea to purchase perma camo, when you put things in time vs money perspective.  For the price of one movie ticket (2 hour entertainment value) you cut your T9 module grinding time in half (all T9 perma camo have 100% bonus to XP), plus you can grind for much longer intervals of time because of the 20% service cost discount.

Edited by Ramsalot

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,499 battles
10 hours ago, TheBlackWind said:

I would strongly urge buying a premium ship. I know some are hesitant at the cost, even if you get a T8 at $40-45, the cost sails off into insignificance when compared to the hours you spend playing! (If you're like most of us.) 

As to which one... Pick your favorite ship so far, find the premium closest to it and get that. 

If that's really just not an option for you, pick your favorite tier 5-6 ship; play the heck out of it! 

I bought the Murmansk back in the day to farm XP and credits and that worked out great, it is still one of my favorite fun ships to play and because of its fast rudder shift uptiers good 

[RUSHB]
Members
90 posts
8,295 battles
12 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Any ship from 4-6 or so can earn good credits.   The best will depend on how you play, what you play well, premium time or not etc...  High tiers are meant to force people back down for credits OR buy premium time/ships to earn credits.

No they aren't, strictly speaking. They function more to separate out skill with a workaround of paying. You get credits at the end of the battle based on your performance, better players make credits or draw even, people who play poorly do not.  If i remember correctly wargaming stated somewhere a long time ago they wanted top tiers to be the most skilled (and wanted to discourage players that hadn't fully learned the mechanics yet from flooding the top tier just because it's the top tier) and low tiers to be lower skilled.  Obviously this can turn into a profit for them with the sale of premium time, camo, and ships, which is their prerogative as a business.  But it's not like they forced you to have to buy something to continue playing high tiers, though it is a lot harder to do, admittedly.

[TDRB]
Members
942 posts
3,626 battles
13 hours ago, dgh_18 said:

Mid-tier randoms & most Operation of the Week seem to work best for me in earning credits. 

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
12 hours ago, pinkship9001 said:

Yeah... there is something to be said here. Iowa main battery hit percentage is 18%. Yet your (OPs) survival (overall) is 40%... So seems to me like you're hanging back too far for too long and missing all of your shots. Going to any tier and not improving your understanding of aiming will result in no progress.

(OP you may not know where we're looking at your stats but a link to your stats can be found HERE.)

Your hit% seems to have been highest in Wyoming of all ships at 30%... which is confusing. I say this because Wyoming has twirly straw rifles but engagement ranges are generally shorter.  Maybe its horrible dispersion was actually helping you hit shots you may have missed with more accurate guns? I Don't know. 

Your damage was, for the tier, still within average limits- but you didn't spend much time here. You then seem to have been quite excited to blow past what may be the best battleship in its tier (New Mex) where your accuracy plummets... again possibly from having access to more range with the plotting room. 

New Mexico at Tier 6 did seem to be somewhat comfortable in almost 100 battles at least from a win rate standpoint- but there are many other factors to consider. Your hit % is down in 20% and change and damage is - and I say this respectfully - in the crappier. 

Going back down and racing up whole other tech tree is not the answer to this problem- in my opinion. You've learned one aspect of the game through the lens of a BB and I think you should polish that off before moving on. I think you need to set some goals for yourself, stepping back at LEAST to tier V or MAYBE tier VI since you spent more battles there. Watch Notser / iChase aiming videos. Watch them again. And again. Go apply techniques in coop to get used to them, then wade into the fray in randoms. I say coop first since there's a little less pressure and you can experiment a little and still win- there is a LOT going on in randoms and learning to shoot will get jumbled in the mess. Go play some operations if you can use tier VI ships for them... You played lots in Colorado so you could even use it in operations.

A couple of goals you could consider in whatever tier you end up in either V or VI.

1) Get main battery hit percentage up to 25% or at least start trending in that direction. Your NY is already almost there- so try to get it to 27-28%. 

2) Get damage levels up to the server average. For NM and NY that appears to be 30k. 

Remember- US BBs aren't great for longer ranges since dispersion can be pretty severe. They excel in the 12-15km domain until a bit later in game where they can get close and personal when properly angled. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1

Members
3,407 posts
6,067 battles
3 hours ago, RedRushian said:

.  But it's not like they forced you to have to buy something to continue playing high tiers, though it is a lot harder to do, admittedly.

It is rather designed to make the decision of play more at lower tiers or spend money and yes - thru how they work the economy these are the only choices for the absolute vast majority of the player population.   A REALLY good player can make the high tiers work but that is not the norm and it takes a really skilled players to do it at high tiers successfully.

The forcing is via the economy that is designed to be very unkind at high tiers for the average player.

If i remember correctly wargaming stated somewhere a long time ago they wanted top tiers to be the most skilled (and wanted to discourage players that hadn't fully learned the mechanics yet from flooding the top tier just because it's the top tier) and low tiers to be lower skilled.

They may have said that but yet do not prevent wallet warriors of any skill to skip right to the top.  Not to mention  the OP who did not slow down to get to the high tiers before they were ready.   The reality is - they need x number of players to buy premium time/ships and flags/camo etc...  and if they can do that thru the economy - they will and have - pretty darn well.

[DPS]
Members
4 posts
1,535 battles

Thanks again for the evaluations.  I will go back to play tier 5 and 6 for a long time.  Will spend much time on aiming videos and coops to practice, and earn credits.  This info gives me many areas to focus on and improve on.  Again, thanks for the honesty, it was needed.    

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
272 posts
5,094 battles

If you have T8 US, UK or USSR cruisers, wait for the operation Cherry Blosssom to be in rotation and spend the whole week running it with all economic flags.   You should make enough to play the Iowa for a while.

if you are good with US battleships, the current operation New Port defense is not bad too.

Members
9,862 posts

This is what WG breeds now. :cap_hmm:

They have players racing up the tiers for things like ranked and clan battles, and they don't really have any time invested in actually learning the mechanics.

Not your fault OP, WG encourages exactly this behavior, but it really does nothing positive for the game itself.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 hour ago, dgh_18 said:

Thanks again for the evaluations.  I will go back to play tier 5 and 6 for a long time.  Will spend much time on aiming videos and coops to practice, and earn credits.  This info gives me many areas to focus on and improve on.  Again, thanks for the honesty, it was needed.    

You're WAY ahead of many others since you're willing to receive the feedback and take something away from it. Keep it up and you'll have no trouble conjuring up the help you need to keep improving. 

A few very, very simple changes to your understanding of how the aiming mechanics work will work miracles- and once you have those honed then every shot you take is simply another step towards more hits, more damage, more XP, more wins and more satisfaction! 

• Cool 1

[ENDVR]
Members
367 posts
5,180 battles

Get an Arizona, if available and move your Iowa captain over to it.  Play it over and over and over until you are always in top 5.  Then go back into Iowa and give it a shot.

If Arizona isn’t available anymore, perhaps get another T5-T6 premium BB or just rebuy your New Mexico and suck up the retraining.

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
228 posts
7,409 battles
19 hours ago, dgh_18 said:

Thanks everyone.  I know I do not have the battle experience all of you have, but I have studied and learned, and will need to continue to do so for many more battles.  I will go back to beginning in the cruiser line and move forward. While doing so,  I will keep an eye out for all of your suggested possibilities for credits.  Again, thanks everyone.  P.S.  tm63au, You are exactly right.  I went up the U.S. battleship tree, but did have fun, other than the Colorado,  changing gun accuracy drove me crazy. 

First off props for this fair headed decent response.

My advice to earn your monies would be to buy a USN premium The great thing about USN ships is they all use concealment expert. That's kind of their thing to be stealthy utilitarian damage dealers. Not to mention that most of the USN premiums are good ships in their own right. The Massachusetts is my personal favorite USN premium but its not a good trainer for other captains. It will work but it wont be optimal, Boise, Atlanta, Alabama, Kidd, Indy, Sims, they are all good. The best trainer for the widest variety of captains is probably the Alabama. BBs don't suffer as much for being specced sub optimally and in getting a tier 8 premium you have a good ship for ranked as well.

Find a ship that you do really well in (and enjoy) at tier 7 or 8, find a premium that works the same way and you can amass a nice nest egg.

Other than USN ships good all rounder credit earners off the top of my head:
Scharnhorst, Atago, T-61, harekaze, Tirpitz, Loyang, Warspite, and any of the Tier 9-10 freemiums for coal/steel.

Another reason to go with a USN BB premium would be to grind elite commander xp while you grind money this makes it possible to retrain all of your captains with one premium if you intend to be frugal. Since you got all the way to the Iowa you probably have around a 17 point captian already optimized for an American BB.