You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Eremiyah

Question about the Seattle and Worcester

14 comments in this topic

[-PRO-]
Beta Testers
78 posts

While I was inspecting both ships, I noticed that both have equipment (crane and a catapult) to launch aircraft such as a spotter plane or catapult fighter. Is there a reason why they don't have access to one or both as a consumable? from what I seen, of all the ships with a catapult and crane, these two seem to be the only ones without the option.

[-WPG-]
Members
728 posts
3,133 battles

It would nudge them, the Worcester at least, a little into the OP zone.  Its DPM is crazy, and balanced by the fact it's a support ship that needs help spotting.  And the ships are modeled historically, which is why the catapults and planes appear on the ship.  The NC has a huge rotating radar dome, but no radar.  

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,582 posts
14,010 battles

No need for it.  The ships, well, Worcester at least, is fine as it is.  Giving it a means to spot for itself behind islands isn't a good idea.  Catapult aircraft access as it's trying to run down a DD on top of Radar, Hydro running is too much to ask for.

[-PRO-]
Beta Testers
78 posts
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

No need for it.  The ships, well, Worcester at least, is fine as it is.  Giving it a means to spot for itself behind islands isn't a good idea.  Catapult aircraft access as it's trying to run down a DD on top of Radar, Hydro running is too much to ask for.

Cleveland has one that replaces radar why not that? (though most would probs opt for radar) Seattle might need something to boost it imo.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,582 posts
14,010 battles
17 minutes ago, Captain_Eremiyah said:

Cleveland has one that replaces radar why not that? (though most would probs opt for radar) Seattle might need something to boost it imo.

I suppose, but any buff for Worcester will not go over well with people.

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts
3,765 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Eremiyah said:

My guess is that WG doesn't want you stacking spotter and the range mod which would... expose certain deficiencies in the WoWS pen system(deck pen in WoWS is way too high). Even ATM Cleveland with spotter and Worcester/Seattle with range mod can actually carve up deck armor- they have 100-140mm once you get past ricochets.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,501 battles

Wows May have a little trepidation about having Cruisers shoot way out there with fast reloads or stacking range increases remember the “ Big Cruiser nerf” back in the day when you got a20% range increase with AFT lighting a lot of BBS on fire.. to many ...all Cruiser guns bigger than 139 mm got nerfed ... and remains that way to this day

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,582 posts
14,010 battles
2 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Wows May have a little trepidation about having Cruisers shoot way out there with fast reloads or stacking range increases remember the “ Big Cruiser nerf” back in the day when you got a20% range increase with AFT lighting a lot of BBS on fire.. to many ...all Cruiser guns bigger than 139 mm got nerfed ... and remains that way to this day

The old AFT & BFT days applied to 155mm or smaller guns.  The nerf was specifically aimed at CLs and turned into the current 139mm or smaller gun requirement.  CAs like Zao, Pensacola, etc. never got the benefit of BFT & AFT being applied to their main batteries.  Back in the day, old VI Cleveland used to reach around 17km.  Tier V Konigsberg?  She used to be like this on those days...

On 10/24/2015 at 10:39 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I want to emphasize that having Advanced Firing Training trait from Tier 4 is a huge deal for Konigsberg.  FreeXP will get you the ship faster but you'll lose out on points for captain traits.  The trait jumps her main battery range to 19.8km.  Considering her gun performance and how awful her armor is, this is a "must have" trait for this ship, IMO.  The 15km or so default range is too close to some excellent same tier or near tier Cruisers.  You are definitely in range of IJN BBs.  But if you can push those engagement ranges out, you'll be safer and can still dish long ranged damage.  Not as many BB players are good shooting at 17km+.  Cruisers can't touch you.  Cleveland is the closest (Mogami is possible with 155's) with her 17.6km range with the Adv.Firing Training trait.  But Cleveland's shells suck so bad at long range that you can dance with a Cleveland and pick her apart.

Konigsberg was bad a.f. in those days.  I remember playing in Ocean, being in the skirmish behind the DDs.  I'd see the enemy Cruisers, Battleships in front but I held my fire.  Our CV flies around and tries a snipe on the enemy CV, got some hits with probably floods, fires, forced DCP.  With Konigsberg's 19.8km gun range, I sneaked up close and got the CV in the back in my gun range, nailed the CV with several hits, setting fires after its DCP went into cooldown, and let the CV burn for the kill.  The good 'ol K-Berg 19.8km CV Snipe :Smile_teethhappy: 

Konigsberg:  "There's a CV in the back?  Hold my stein..."

Omaha in those days used to be called "OPmaha."  She had the range and rate of fire to be a menace, and with the range and agility she had, she had enough time to do evasive maneuvering and be annoying to hit.  Now she's garbage.

By the time I got into Tier VIII, it was at the tail end of the Old AFT / BFT days.  I had just gotten North Carolina and remember Mogami getting hits on me from long range and over islands :Smile_teethhappy:

Those were the days!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

It's a question that's bugged me a bit too, but in the end balance (usually) reigns supreme. Of course, just giving the ability to swap radar for a fighter and not spotter wouldn't be too bad.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,501 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The old AFT & BFT days applied to 155mm or smaller guns.  The nerf was specifically aimed at CLs and turned into the current 139mm or smaller gun requirement.  CAs like Zao, Pensacola, etc. never got the benefit of BFT & AFT being applied to their main batteries.  Back in the day, old VI Cleveland used to reach around 17km.  Tier V Konigsberg?  She used to be like this on those days...

Konigsberg was bad a.f. in those days.  I remember playing in Ocean, being in the skirmish behind the DDs.  I'd see the enemy Cruisers, Battleships in front but I held my fire.  Our CV flies around and tries a snipe on the enemy CV, got some hits with probably floods, fires, forced DCP.  With Konigsberg's 19.8km gun range, I sneaked up close and got the CV in the back in my gun range, nailed the CV with several hits, setting fires after its DCP went into cooldown, and let the CV burn for the kill.  The good 'ol K-Berg 19.8km CV Snipe :Smile_teethhappy: 

Konigsberg:  "There's a CV in the back?  Hold my stein..."

Omaha in those days used to be called "OPmaha."  She had the range and rate of fire to be a menace, and with the range and agility she had, she had enough time to do evasive maneuvering and be annoying to hit.  Now she's garbage.

By the time I got into Tier VIII, it was at the tail end of the Old AFT / BFT days.  I had just gotten North Carolina and remember Mogami getting hits on me from long range and over islands :Smile_teethhappy:

Those were the days!

As I remember The way it was worded back than it was Cruiser guns bigger than 139 mm that would loose the 20% range increase with AFT this change also required a free Captain skill reset 

At the time turret rotation was also in AFT but moved to modules now faster turrets and shell spread are in the same modual but you can  only get 1 not both

Members
301 posts
6 battles
9 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

good luck actually hitting anything from that range even if they did put a spotter plane as an option

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,501 battles
5 minutes ago, pinkship9001 said:

good luck actually hitting anything from that range even if they did put a spotter plane as an option

The game has changed much since those days that it now seems a little silly but luck had little to with it .. my Zao spotter plane or Hindenburg can hit targets way over 20k+ lighting them on fire.. that was the point back in the day

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,741 posts
9,439 battles
7 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Konigsberg was bad a.f. in those days. 

Me driving Konigsberg when released.

*Takes hit on bow from 152mm HE. Rudder is knocked out.*

*Repairs Rudder. DC goes on cooldown.*

*Takes an overpen on superstructure. Engine is knocked out.*

*Angles as best I can while I wait 50 seconds for DC to come off cooldown so i can move again.*

Last stand was a 4 point skill back then.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,582 posts
14,010 battles
4 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

As I remember The way it was worded back than it was Cruiser guns bigger than 139 mm that would loose the 20% range increase with AFT this change also required a free Captain skill reset 

At the time turret rotation was also in AFT but moved to modules now faster turrets and shell spread are in the same modual but you can  only get 1 not both

Originally it was 155mm or lower.  It was very specific as Mogami had the largest sized guns that got the Old BFT & AFT buffs.  With the switch, the cutoff change became what it was now and we got free respecs as a result.  Not even the then-new RU Cruisers' 180mm got the buff for Old AFT & BFT.

3 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Me driving Konigsberg when released.

*Takes hit on bow from 152mm HE. Rudder is knocked out.*

*Repairs Rudder. DC goes on cooldown.*

*Takes an overpen on superstructure. Engine is knocked out.*

*Angles as best I can while I wait 50 seconds for DC to come off cooldown so i can move again.*

Last stand was a 4 point skill back then.

That's what the 19.8km gun range was for :Smile_teethhappy:  Hence what I said in my 2015 quote:

On 10/24/2015 at 10:39 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I want to emphasize that having Advanced Firing Training trait from Tier 4 is a huge deal for Konigsberg.  FreeXP will get you the ship faster but you'll lose out on points for captain traits.  The trait jumps her main battery range to 19.8km.  Considering her gun performance and how awful her armor is, this is a "must have" trait for this ship, IMO.  The 15km or so default range is too close to some excellent same tier or near tier Cruisers.  You are definitely in range of IJN BBs.  But if you can push those engagement ranges out, you'll be safer and can still dish long ranged damage.  Not as many BB players are good shooting at 17km+.  Cruisers can't touch you.  Cleveland is the closest (Mogami is possible with 155's) with her 17.6km range with the Adv.Firing Training trait.  But Cleveland's shells suck so bad at long range that you can dance with a Cleveland and pick her apart.

Engine, Rudder getting KO'd on K-Berg, N-Berg was a thing even when the German Cruiser Line was new.  If you were playing with K-Berg's normal gun range then the chances for those kinds of events happening skyrocketed.  But take the fight to 16km, 17km, 18km, 19.8km... A lot safer and K-Berg could still spam hellfire down.  You'd have to be a Potato to get hit by K-Berg's guns at such ranges if you were a Cruiser, but against big, slow BB targets, this was easy.  I was picking CVs off at 19km with that range, and considering the size of the maps Tier V ships were in, this was comedic!

I loved Konigsberg in those days, very fun ship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway