You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USMC2145

So losing a star in ranked in tier 10?

28 comments in this topic

[_AFW_]
Members
975 posts
7,021 battles

Players have been saying they are losing a star even though top of team on losing side this ranked season in the tier 10 part. I thought they were wrong till it just happened to me. Did they post this was a thing this time?

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles

I just read through the Ranked Battles rules on the main site, and it is VERY unclear on this topic.

Below is a quote from the Ranked Battles rules.

Ranks 23 to 17 as well as Ranks 15, 12 and 1 are irrevocable. Between Ranks 23–20, players don’t lose a star for a defeat, and being the top XP earner on your team in a lost battle keeps your hard-earned star. In the upcoming season we will return the irrevocable status from Rank 10 back to Rank 12, as the decision of moving the irrevocable rank in the previous season was made due to changing the ship tiers available for certain leagues. Now, Tier VIII ships are available only in the Third League, with Tier X ships available in the all other leagues except for the League of Sea Wolves.

The highlighted is contradictory.  First is say that between ranks 23-20, players don't lose a star for a defeat, but it then says that you don't lose a star if you're the top XP earner on a losing team.

A couple of points earlier in the Ranked Rules is the following:

Through winning battles, players earn the stars needed to climb the rank ladder. In the case of the majority of ranks, a defeat means a lost star.

Again, this is vague.  What ranks are covered by the statement "the majority of ranks"?

Come on, WG, please be more specific!

@Gneisenau013

EDIT:  For some reason, my highlights in the quotes didn't take.  Changed it to underlines.

Edited by Crucis

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
250 posts
3,481 battles

i just saved a star in rank 16 in my kagero even

[_AFW_]
Members
975 posts
7,021 battles
6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Have you logged out and back in? 

Yes

2 minutes ago, Ron4ja said:

i just saved a star in rank 16 in my kagero even

This is after rank 15 in the tier 10. 

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
390 posts
5,401 battles

It works. I lost a battle today and tied for top with another player. Both of us retained our star. 

[FORM]
Members
253 posts
4,790 battles

I have heard others saying they lost star even though they had the best score on the losing side AFTER they started playing tier 10 part of ranked. I think it may be bugged. 

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

The star system is a bit wonky, but works long term.  Like, sometimes your star count would not update properly and you would "lose" a star you should have kept.  Then you win a game and gain two stars.  Something does not sync right with the server, but eventually you get the right count.

Edited by Ramsalot

[LOU1]
Members
2,857 posts
7,992 battles

One thing that may be confusing is that you get bonus stars based on your rank in the last season.  I think these replace a lost star as long as you have any left.

[VW]
Members
1,828 posts
12,269 battles

Would be great if true. Tough for that zao that sits afk all match waiting to be carried before spamming he in time to not lose his star once everyone’s dead. Oh yes, he ranked out.

Members
303 posts
6 battles
1 minute ago, ExploratorOne said:

One thing that may be confusing is that you get bonus stars based on your rank in the last season.  I think these replace a lost star as long as you have any left.

that's not how it works. Your stars from last season determine your starting point on this season.

[LOU1]
Members
2,857 posts
7,992 battles
1 minute ago, pinkship9001 said:

that's not how it works. Your stars from last season determine your starting point on this season.

I thought that was how it works at first, but I noticed last season when I should have lost a star I didn't (while not top XP earner).  So, I thought it was the bonus stars.  Perhaps @Femennenly or one of her colleagues could clear this up?

[LOU1]
Members
2,857 posts
7,992 battles

Finally had a chance to log into the game just now.  Looking at the Ranked Battles screen under my Profile, it is explicitly listed when you won't loose a star for being the top XP earner.  Clicking through the Ranks, all of them say the top earner does NOT loose a star.

I would suggest submitting a Support ticket so that WOWS can start looking into it.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
3 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Finally had a chance to log into the game just now.  Looking at the Ranked Battles screen under my Profile, it is explicitly listed when you won't loose a star for being the top XP earner.  Clicking through the Ranks, all of them say the top earner does NOT loose a star.

I would suggest submitting a Support ticket so that WOWS can start looking into it.

It's not a new feature. In fact, it's something many of us have been complaining about for quite some time.

[LOU1]
Members
2,857 posts
7,992 battles
54 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

It's not a new feature. In fact, it's something many of us have been complaining about for quite some time.

The OP's comment I am replying to was that players ARE losing a star when they are top XP earner on the losing team.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
2 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

The OP's comment I am replying to was that players ARE losing a star when they are top XP earner on the losing team.

Right. I see. The way he worded it was a bit weird, so I mis-understood it.

[LOU1]
Members
2,857 posts
7,992 battles
Just now, legoboy0401 said:

Right. I see. The way he worded it was a bit weird, so I mis-understood it.

Took me a bit to decipher at first, also.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
784 posts
5,771 battles
16 hours ago, Crucis said:

I just read through the Ranked Battles rules on the main site, and it is VERY unclear on this topic.

Below is a quote from the Ranked Battles rules.

The highlighted is contradictory.  First is say that between ranks 23-20, players don't lose a star for a defeat, but it then says that you don't lose a star if you're the top XP earner on a losing team.

A couple of points earlier in the Ranked Rules is the following:

Again, this is vague.  What ranks are covered by the statement "the majority of ranks"?

Come on, WG, please be more specific!

@Gneisenau013

EDIT:  For some reason, my highlights in the quotes didn't take.  Changed it to underlines.

Ok let me clarify this:

Ranks 23-20 = losing team does not lose a star and irrevocable ranks

Ranks 19-18 = losing team loses star except top XP earner

Rank 17 = irrevocable rank

Rank 16 = losing team loses star except top XP earner

Rank 15 = irrevocable rank

Rank 14-13 = losing team loses star except top XP earner

Rank 12 = irrevocable rank

Rank 11-2 = The Crucible (the ultimate endurance test to get to rank 1), losing team loses star except top XP earner

Rank 1 = Tier V (League of Sea Wolves) - irrevocable rank

Hope that helps.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Ok let me clarify this:

Rank 11-2 = The Crucible (the ultimate endurance test to get to rank 1), losing team loses star except top XP earner

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the detailed reply.  :cap_like:

It sounds pretty similar to past seasons, with a couple minor tweaks around the edges.

[_AFW_]
Members
975 posts
7,021 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Ok let me clarify this:

Hope that helps.

Problem is some top xp earners on the losing team are losing a star. Happened to me yesterday. 

[HINON]
Members
8,809 posts

Its probably just the ui lag bug that happens every season in the end you end up with the correct number of stars. 

[PNG]
Supertester
5,655 posts
6,455 battles

There is a visual bug where it may show you losing/gaining a star that does not match your progression because the results are delayed compared to the display. So far, in my two losses where I was highest XP, I did not lose a star.

[REVY]
Members
936 posts
7,288 battles

Question to those losing stars:

If in match you died, did you stay till end of battle or return to port to play another battle?

If you returned to port and started another battle while another was going, perhaps you lost a star in that other battle, even though top XP earner in the second.

[CS7]
Members
113 posts
7,237 battles
19 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Ok let me clarify this:

Hope that helps.

I have been losing a Star when I am the top XP on the losing team - I have seen it happen twice