You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Best Ships for the New Meta?

19 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,584 posts

I have tried my best to be a good team player for all it's worth. I do a decent job of it in BBs and cruisers.  I also shout out instructions and tag easy kills.  I support DDs going for the cap.

Admittedly, I suck at team play in DDs but then I only play stealth IJN torp botes which are useless at capping. (I don't play CVs at all.)

The new meta appears to be "to heck with team play and even trying to win" because you're highly likely to lose half your team in the first 5 minutes, so just focus on maximizing your damage score.

Last night I only played two games. Both were routs. In the second one, I was in my trusty seal-clubber Wyoming on Big Race. As described above, we lost 6 ships in minutes against zero kills.  I ended up as Last Man Standing against 8 ships.

I can't take it anymore.

From now on all I care about is damage.

What ships would you use for this purpose?  I'm think RN BBs and mid-tier IJN cruisers.

I'm pretty choked about this newest meta.

:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Members
855 posts
3,415 battles

That is all on the tier bro, one reason I dislike playing the GC at times. BBs at those tiers are so slow that by the time you get into action you can be outnumbered hardcore. Not sure why you referenced meta and then talked about a low tier game. Is there even a meta down there? Every time I play low tiers its just chaos 

Edited by Slumlord_Cheeto

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

It's not a "new meta", there have always been good players, bad players, good teams, bad teams, and damage farmers.

Also, playing the low-tier Wyoming certainly isn't going to help your quest for good gameplay, that is seal clubbing territory.

Some frustration is normal with bad teams but the good players continue to do the right things to win matches and continue to win more than they lose. Abandon that at your own peril(high damage losses will make you MORE frustrated).

• Cool 5

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles

No "new meta".  I have heard that since I joined. Things seem the same to me. Seems like there is a new "meta", according to some, bout every other month and I don't get it. :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by dmckay

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Listen, and understand! That Meta is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you learn to play and adapt to it!

• Bad 1

[FGNE]
Members
309 posts
2,394 battles

I wouldn’t say it’s a new META, I’ve noticed these types of matches from several patch cycles ago (maybe even a year?).

The best ship for this?, IMHO it’s the best ship you play on, because this will happen no matter what, you can only do the best you can with the ship you have.

But as others have somewhat pointed at; I think the best you can do is (since you are aware of this behavior) is not to seek your best score, but the team’s best score; and you do that by (attempting to) proactively leading the team, and that doesn’t necessarily mean being at the front of it, but rather provide useful advice from the beginning of the match... and you can’t wait to see if the team melts ... it’s too late for that.

Of course sometimes the team doesn’t care, so you might end off switching to damage farming into the inevitable defeat.

I remember a couple of matches with SalvoSanta where he actively lead the team into victory... one day (to my surprise) I choose to do so, and was rewarded with a victorious team (that allowed me to achieve the baseXP requirement for that mission of the Oct.Rev. mission chain).

- my 2 cents

Edited by CO_Valle

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,309 posts
11,403 battles
43 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I have tried my best to be a good team player for all it's worth. I do a decent job of it in BBs and cruisers.  I also shout out instructions and tag easy kills.  I support DDs going for the cap.

Admittedly, I suck at team play in DDs but then I only play stealth IJN torp botes which are useless at capping. (I don't play CVs at all.)

The new meta appears to be "to heck with team play and even trying to win" because you're highly likely to lose half your team in the first 5 minutes, so just focus on maximizing your damage score.

Last night I only played two games. Both were routs. In the second one, I was in my trusty seal-clubber Wyoming on Big Race. As described above, we lost 6 ships in minutes against zero kills.  I ended up as Last Man Standing against 8 ships.

I can't take it anymore.

What ships would you use for this purpose?  I'm think RN BBs and mid-tier IJN cruisers.

At tier 4 you likely are running into people just getting the ship...

Step it up to the big boys league tiers 8 to 10...

P.S. use the Clemson at tier 4...

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles

@TheGreatBlasto

There is no "new meta" working here.  It's the same old, same old.   The problem is that there are some bad players who will just charge into the enemy, maybe not a full bore yolo, but let's say very aggressive, and they get killed very quickly.  And if you have too many of those players, your team can find themselves in a big hole very quickly.

Arguably, this is the silver lining to newbie campers.  At least they're not charging into the enemy's guns to a quick and early death. 

Too many players just don't have the patience to succeed at this game.  And this can be true at all tiers, though usually with experience, more veteran players do tend to learn to be more patient than the average bad newbie.  That doesn't necessarily make them a lot better, but it hopefully does mean that they won't die quite so quickly and easily.  And thus, give the more capable members of their team the time to possibly win the game.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles
11 minutes ago, Crucis said:

@TheGreatBlasto

There is no "new meta" working here.  It's the same old, same old.   The problem is that there are some bad players who will just charge into the enemy, maybe not a full bore yolo, but let's say very aggressive, and they get killed very quickly.  And if you have too many of those players, your team can find themselves in a big hole very quickly.

Arguably, this is the silver lining to newbie campers.  At least they're not charging into the enemy's guns to a quick and early death. 

Too many players just don't have the patience to succeed at this game.  And this can be true at all tiers, though usually with experience, more veteran players do tend to learn to be more patient than the average bad newbie.  That doesn't necessarily make them a lot better, but it hopefully does mean that they won't die quite so quickly and easily.  And thus, give the more capable members of their team the time to possibly win the game.

giphy.gif

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
57 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I can't take it anymore.

Run survivability build on all battleships but Bismarck and Tirpitz. 

Build most(not RN) Cruisers for attack, with a side of information skills like PT and IFA.(RN Cruisers, build for information skills like PT and IFA, with a side of Consumable-boosting skills like SuperIntendent and JoAT)

Build most(not VMF or IJN) DDs for a combined build of stealth and a DD survivability build with Survivability Expert, PT, and(for things like Harugumo) Vigilance.

(for VMF, go a gunboat build all the way(no IFHE though). Screw concealment bulilds, you don't really need them in VMF DDs. You'll be firing in the open FAR too much for concealment builds. For IJN, build for a concealment build with a side of TAE and Radio Location(if it's still called that).)

Don't play Tier V+ Carriers at all until after the rework, it's better that way.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

giphy.gif

:Smile_teethhappy:

And tomatoes never catch up?:Smile_hiding:

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles
3 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I had assumed that there was a big uptick in new players causing the routs. 

You are a nice guy but I do not think you know what "meta" means.  It's Greek. Look it up. 

[BROOK]
Members
1,584 posts
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

You are a nice guy but I do not think you know what "meta" means.  It's Greek. Look it up. 

I actually asked a few months ago what "meta" meant here and formed my interpretation on the responses.

[BROOK]
Members
1,584 posts
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

I tried to find my thread on what meta meant here. No luck.  It was probably from back in Jan or Feb.  I actually looked up the definition before asking but it just made it more confusing.  The responses here were along the lines of "If BBs are dominant, then it's a 'BB meta'",  "If DDs are dominant, it's a DD meta" and so on.  

:fish_book:

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles
2 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I tried to find my thread on what meta meant here. No luck.  It was probably from back in Jan or Feb.  I actually looked up the definition before asking but it just made it more confusing.  The responses here were along the lines of "If BBs are dominant, then it's a 'BB meta'",  "If DDs are dominant, it's a DD meta" and so on.  

Here? It's just used by those types that like to sound cool. 

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles
5 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Gee man just type in "meta". It's not properly used here. Another one the "scientific" players love is "conformation bias". Etc.  blah bah. Can get overly tedious.  Hell, just kill ships! :Smile_teethhappy: