You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Target_1

Why do Ships go invisible on me?

27 comments in this topic

Members
18 posts
1,923 battles

This happens all the time to me... I'm playing along, I zoom in on a ship to target and shoot and suddenly, it disappears.  This can happen at almost any range.  I zoom in, see the ship just fine for a second and then it's gone.  What the @#$##

• Boring 1

Members
9,862 posts
3 minutes ago, Target_1 said:

This happens all the time to me... I'm playing along, I zoom in on a ship to target and shoot and suddenly, it disappears.  This can happen at almost any range.  I zoom in, see the ship just fine for a second and then it's gone.  What the @#$##

Spotting mechanics are an important part of the game, I would highly recommend looking up information on it.

• Cool 1

[BROOK]
Members
1,584 posts
5 minutes ago, Target_1 said:

It's a really frustrating aspect of the game much discussed. It seems to happen even more with premium ships. Ever try hitting a Kidd or Haida? LOL  

Sometimes the ship disappears because the game decides it's time for some "mist" to appear just as in real life. Other times you lose sight of it because the teammate who was doing the actually spotting you are piggybacking on got killed or simply lost sight of it. 

I think it happens too much but can understand why WOWS feels it needs to use the gimmick.

• Bad 3

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
11 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

It's a really frustrating aspect of the game much discussed. It seems to happen even more with premium ships. Ever try hitting a Kidd or Haida? LOL  

Sometimes the ship disappears because the game decides it's time for some "mist" to appear just as in real life. Other times you lose sight of it because the teammate who was doing the actually spotting you are piggybacking on got killed or simply lost sight of it. 

I think it happens too much but can understand why WOWS feels it needs to use the gimmick.

No, ships do not disappear "just because".  They may disappear because they're outside their concealment range and their gun bloom penalty just expired.  Or it's a DD and it moved beyond their max gun range of the nearest enemy even while the gun bloom penalty was still in effect.  Or maybe, as you pointed out, the team mate that was spotted the enemy ship was either sunk or lost his line of sight on the spotted enemy ship, thus causing that enemy ship to no longer be spotted.

There are many reasons why spotted ships suddenly disappear.  And none of them are something as mysterious or magical as "just because".  And if you think that it happens too often, I'd say that perhaps you need a better understanding of the spotting mechanics because obviously your understanding of them is less than complete.

[BROOK]
Members
1,584 posts
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

No, ships do not disappear "just because".  They may disappear because they're outside their concealment range and their gun bloom penalty just expired.  Or it's a DD and it moved beyond their max gun range of the nearest enemy even while the gun bloom penalty was still in effect.  Or maybe, as you pointed out, the team mate that was spotted the enemy ship was either sunk or lost his line of sight on the spotted enemy ship, thus causing that enemy ship to no longer be spotted.

There are many reasons why spotted ships suddenly disappear.  And none of them are something as mysterious or magical as "just because".  And if you think that it happens too often, I'd say that perhaps you need a better understanding of the spotting mechanics because obviously your understanding of them is less than complete.

Can you point me to where I said "just because"?

• Bad 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,651 battles

A couple videos that might help. They are a bit dated, but still offer an explanation of how detection and spotting work. Worth a look.

Video 1

Video 2

Respects,

Am

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

There are many reasons why spotted ships suddenly disappear.  And none of them are something as mysterious or magical as "the game decides it's time for some "mist" to appear just as in real life."  

FTFY Crucis lol.

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
35 minutes ago, Target_1 said:

With a replay posted, we could tell you exactly what happened.

As it is though, best idea is to brush up on spotting mechanics, and then come back with specific questions. (We're more than happy to answer)

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
10 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Can you point me to where I said "just because"?

That was my way of saying "for no explainable reason", which is essentially what the highlighted sentence you wrote said, in so many words.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

FTFY Crucis lol.

"Just because" was my way of saying what you wrote with your FTFY.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
536 posts
11,824 battles

Supposedly this issue is fixed now, and "may" be coming in 0.7.9. 

"What about the testing of improvements of render speed (spotting-delay). Current status? It's an annoying and stupid bug that annoyed everyone for a long time. It's also quite complicated, and intertwined with data-reception of the client from the server, with multiple data being needed before the ship would render in the first place. They tried multiple solutions, and they fixed it. It will very very very likely come in 0.7.9, they just need to polish it and see it doesn't make more bugs. "

from this thread: Gamescom Q&A (and yes also subs and CV rework)

Edited by nagasakee
  • Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
50 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

If you read the whole wiki you will be better prepared for battle. This is just about spotting.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

Spotting Mechanics is the first hurdle on getting good in this game.  Regardless of what ship type you play, you need to know this.  DDs absolutely Live & Die by this mechanic more than the other classes.  Even Battleships stand to gain much from understanding this.

You're a Potato until you understand this, and will be at the mercy of a lot of people who do.  If you don't get a grasp of this mechanic, you're a small child walking through the wild forest at night.  Nobody will be there to save you and the predators are prowling for the easy prey.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
20 minutes ago, Crucis said:

"Just because" was my way of saying what you wrote with your FTFY.

I know, but the response to your post just struck a nerve, so I threw that in in case you didn't notice the response.

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you don't get a grasp of this mechanic, you're a small child walking through the wild forest at night.

Lol you're going to frighten the wee lad....

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,293 battles
16 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So there's no mist or squall as in some other games?

Someone told me long ago that half the disappearances with into mists.

There are cyclones, of course, and WG has tested other weather mechanics that are not presently live.  But you probably shouldn't believe everything someone tells you.

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
25 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So there's no mist or squall as in some other games?

Someone told me long ago that half the disappearances with into mists.

Nope. There is the cyclone thing, but the game specifically tells you when it's active.

[VIP-2]
Members
803 posts
2,827 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Lol you're going to frighten the wee lad....

Perhaps it was said with a slight cruelty, but it is the truth. Without understanding spotting/detection mechanics, you are no better than rick grimes waking up in a hospital bed (walking dead).

Members
17,686 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, c3shooter said:

Perhaps it was said with a slight cruelty, but it is the truth. Without understanding spotting/detection mechanics, you are no better than rick grimes waking up in a hospital bed (walking dead).

I hear you, and without even Shane having at least blocked the door lol.

[VW]
Members
1,817 posts
12,265 battles
3 hours ago, nagasakee said:

Supposedly this issue is fixed now, and "may" be coming in 0.7.9. 

"What about the testing of improvements of render speed (spotting-delay). Current status? It's an annoying and stupid bug that annoyed everyone for a long time. It's also quite complicated, and intertwined with data-reception of the client from the server, with multiple data being needed before the ship would render in the first place. They tried multiple solutions, and they fixed it. It will very very very likely come in 0.7.9, they just need to polish it and see it doesn't make more bugs. "

from this thread: Gamescom Q&A (and yes also subs and CV rework)

3 hours ago, Crucis said:

No, ships do not disappear "just because".  

This spotting bug is one of the most ridiculous. You follow an enemy around an island 3 km apart, no smoke, no storm, he never shows up, but you show detected, he shoots you, then appears. Extremely common. Defend that with spotting mechanics.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,852 battles
18 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

This spotting bug is one of the most ridiculous. You follow an enemy around an island 3 km apart, no smoke, no storm, he never shows up, but you show detected, he shoots you, then appears. Extremely common. Defend that with spotting mechanics.

Without even mentioning radar, sonar, or airplanes.

1. Target Acquisition Module increases your guaranteed visibility to 3.0km from 2.0km.  

2.  You were kept spotted by a different enemy ship.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
2 hours ago, c3shooter said:

I've lost track how many times some BB player complains about "a Destroyer appeared out of thin air right next to me and torpedoed me!"  Or them complaining that the DD or Cruiser disappeared right in front of their eyes and there was no smoke!  Let me be honest here... I was one of those guys, "How in the world did that DD appear right next to me???"  Or, "How am I getting shot at by people and I can't see a single enemy ship?"  Or, "How am I getting attacked by Battleships but can't see a single enemy BB shooting at me?"

There's warning signs when someone is stalking you, and even then, the more savvy players have some workarounds to lessen the amount of warnings you get.  The deeper you get into concealment mechanics, the counters to stealth, knowing possible concealment ranges, weapon ranges, and using such knowledge to isolate where the hidden threat is at... The waters get very murky.  DDs are at the forefront in this, especially against each other, and a 0.2km advantage in stealth may put enough pressure on the DD getting outspotted as it then gets shot at by Cruisers and Battleships.

This is how something like a sh*tty gun DD like Asashio (with torps that it can't use against another DD) can flush out a deadly gunboat DD from the cap.

The rabbit hole of concealment, spotting mechanics runs deep with lots of varying factors and counters.  If you don't even have the basics down, you're in deep trouble.  This isn't like shooting, where you can get better simply by playing more.  There's nothing in the game that teaches you the fundamentals of concealment other than getting rekt and wondering how in the world what just happened, happened.  The player either shrugs and keeps going, keeps getting rekt, or they finally get tired and ask how and why they are getting this many problems.  It's only in the latter case where they get that good chance to get better.  Otherwise it's all trial and error, stumbling across some revelation.

When I was a scrub I got tired about this.  I browsed around the boards and found someone else with a topic on the matter and veteran players were talking about it.  Then I tried playing a DD Line and the veil began to be lifted.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway