Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

Harugumo in ranked!

16 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,733 posts
3,912 battles

Given that there is nearly zero experience with this ship in ranked, except for games already played today, it might fall to you to be one of the groundbreakers and find out, one way or another.

Members
505 posts
3,463 battles

Interesting question I've been pondering.

Flamu runs a range/gun build with 6.9 conceal and 15.1 range.

Flambass is running a full conceal build with 6.2 conceal and 12.6 range.

Both run the 12km torps so far.  Both are currently streaming.

I started out with the conceal build (6.2) with the range mod which put it at 14.6.

Not sure which one I'll run.  I have until tonight to decide.

Anyone have any thoughts?  

Members
457 posts
12,111 battles

I don't know. It's definitely not great at contesting caps itself. It is great at supporting capping DDs, but in ranked you can't really count on having another DD on your team.

If this season is like last season and it's a radar fiesta though it might be fine. Radar is the great cap equalizer. Radar doesn't care about your concealment range or about how agile you are.

[KWA]
Members
115 posts
7,857 battles

If I get it before this ranked season is over ill probably going for a full dpm build and use AFT and the conceal mod as I dont think rudder 3 helps the ship much as it is the turning circle that limits it more than anything.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,009 posts
9,182 battles

In the very few games I have seen this ship in...its borderline OP imho...it will be viable and it will be used.  I would maximize range in ranked no doubt about it, conceal not going to help with the radar.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,730 posts
9,439 battles

Only ships it’s gonna hit with the range build are ships that are AFK. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

As I recall, even back during the Stealth Fire days, lots of guys fitted AFT on Akizuki and were pelting the sh*t out of Battleships no problem.  Would that still not work the same with Harugumo?  It's not like the Tier X BBs are smaller, nor can they dodge better than the Tier VIII or even IX BBs.  I don't have Harugumo, but I have played Akizuki, even in the Stealth Fire days and AFT, while problematic on hitting small targets, was still sufficient to hit BBs at range.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles
2 hours ago, Uber_Ghost said:

Interesting question I've been pondering.

Flamu runs a range/gun build with 6.9 conceal and 15.1 range.

Flambass is running a full conceal build with 6.2 conceal and 12.6 range.

Both run the 12km torps so far.  Both are currently streaming.

I started out with the conceal build (6.2) with the range mod which put it at 14.6.

Not sure which one I'll run.  I have until tonight to decide.

Anyone have any thoughts?  

If I run it I will go with the 6.2 and 14.6 range.

The 12.6 range puts you to close to Moskva, Stalin radar.

The 6.9 conceal is for loosers who think they in Randoms running around not being a DD shooting at anything that moves :)

So keep the 6.2 cause you a DD in Ranked, and Keep the 14.6 because you want to daka daka as much as you can before Radar moves in on you.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,106 posts
18,622 battles

The Akizuki was good at T8 ranked. I have seen a few of the Harugumo today in T10 ranked. While you have only a limited number of torpedos, you can shred any DD in a gunfight. You can hit good at a range of 12km. But I don't think that it's a auto-win-ship. None made it to more then 4th position XP wise. With the high number of radar ships you cannot sit in smoke and pewpew while someone spots for you.

Members
505 posts
3,463 battles
7 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Max range? Sure. But, in the 14-15km range it’s not difficult.  I mean, you’re carpet bombing since most of us employ sequential fire in this fire spitter.  And, in ranked, a ton of targets are stationary campers.  

Looks like I’m going to have to do some math to figure out the best build. Then, determine if the ranked player base will tolerate a non-capping DD.  It’s not exactly a fan favorite role.

Members
505 posts
3,463 battles
2 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

If I run it I will go with the 6.2 and 14.6 range.

The 12.6 range puts you to close to Moskva, Stalin radar.

The 6.9 conceal is for loosers who think they in Randoms running around not being a DD shooting at anything that moves :)

So keep the 6.2 cause you a DD in Ranked, and Keep the 14.6 because you want to daka daka as much as you can before Radar moves in on you.

Pretty much where I’m at right now. 6.2 can perform some DD duties and 14.6 is decent range from radar.  I’ll probably run it when I hit 12 tonight.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,730 posts
9,439 battles
13 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

As I recall, even back during the Stealth Fire days, lots of guys fitted AFT on Akizuki and were pelting the sh*t out of Battleships no problem.  Would that still not work the same with Harugumo?  It's not like the Tier X BBs are smaller, nor can they dodge better than the Tier VIII or even IX BBs.  I don't have Harugumo, but I have played Akizuki, even in the Stealth Fire days and AFT, while problematic on hitting small targets, was still sufficient to hit BBs at range.

A few caveats,

1. Before 6.3 it didn’t matter that half your shells missed because you were invisible past 9.4k. This is the biggest issue. You can’t follow a BB around the map with the fire button glued down like you could before.

2. Max range on Akizuki was 12k or so IIRC at the time.

3. Fire reduction skills had just been introduced and were not common yet on captain builds. Fire duration on cruisers had not been reduced. 

Who knows. It might be strong. All I know is I’m not gonna be DDing in Ranked. 

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles
14 minutes ago, Uber_Ghost said:

Pretty much where I’m at right now. 6.2 can perform some DD duties and 14.6 is decent range from radar.  I’ll probably run it when I hit 12 tonight.

Also depending on what your build is... as in are you taking BFT? If not with the range mod your reload is 3 seconds.

Sequential fire feels a bit sluggish,  Plus that steady stream of fire from smoke makes it really really easy for someone good to nuke you in smoke.

So salvo firing is not a bad option if you have a slower reload.

I personally would take SE or Superintendent over BFT for Ranked because 3 second reload is just as dependable and the extra smoke might be more valuable.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Members
505 posts
3,463 battles
3 hours ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Also depending on what your build is... as in are you taking BFT? If not with the range mod your reload is 3 seconds.

Sequential fire feels a bit sluggish,  Plus that steady stream of fire from smoke makes it really really easy for someone good to nuke you in smoke.

So salvo firing is not a bad option if you have a slower reload.

I personally would take SE or Superintendent over BFT for Ranked because 3 second reload is just as dependable and the extra smoke might be more valuable.

So far, this looks like my standard build for ranked: PM, AR, LS, SE, (BFT if range, SI if reload), IFHE, CE.  I don't like the math on DE although I'll probably try it out. I am leaning more on SI because I've realized just how smoke dependent this thing is...and not just for firing out of.  Smoke is the only reliable way to get out of bad spot.  It's like parallel parking in heavy traffic.  But, that kinda goes against my usual DD ranked build since games can be so short sometimes. 

I only fire sequential outside of smoke or very protected smoke, and I really try to find spots to island fire.  The main issue is that darn reload is so fast that the need for a mouse click every couple of seconds or less(AR kicks in) gets to be a real pain.  And, even with a max 3 second reload, there's a rainbow of fire that pretty much announces your position with whatever firing choice you choose.  This is not a subtle boat.

You also highlighted my main concern with this boat in the lower ranks.  Folks are really good at blind smoke firing at a ship so cumbersome and big.  This thing eats AP like Glass Joe eats a uppercut.  I strongly suspect a hybrid range build will be the way to go down there. 

Sign in to follow this