You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VVoony

Forgotten Ship

22 comments in this topic

[CAPGO]
Members
507 posts
3,255 battles

After 0.7.8 dropped, French cruisers received a new gim...eh hem, consumable and it rejuvenated the line. It really changed how theses cruisers are played and they are very fun to play now.

However, one ship is being neglected and it seems like nobody, even WG, remembers this ship anymore.

Even before the patch, this particular ship was very rare breed on the sea and now it's like the ship has been extinct and I hoped WG would do the same treat to the ship and would make it viable again.

Nope.. Hopes are shattered and I just don't see why? 

The ship I am referring is the De Grasse. This is a French tier 6 cruiser. If La Gal gets the new consumable why not De Grasse?

Please give some love to the De Grasse too..

Edited by 0806sung

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,960 battles

De Grasse is hugely superior to La Galissoniere, buffing LG with the reload booster might narrow the gap.

Giving DG the consumable would be an unwarranted buff.

[CAPGO]
Members
507 posts
3,255 battles
6 minutes ago, mofton said:

De Grasse is hugely superior to La Galissoniere, buffing LG with the reload booster might narrow the gap.

I always thought De Grasse wasn't that special from La Gal though. I know De Grasse gets something like 0.8 second faster reload and few more HP but in return, De Grasse has MUCH worse Maneuverability than La Gal with worse rudder speed and worse turning circle. This is a huge drawback as these cruisers depend on avoiding shells to survive. Few un-lucky AP shells can wreck these ships. IMHO, De Grasse doesn't come out winning agianst La Gal just because of the survivability. Sometimes, when the game goes just right for me, I do more damage in De Grasse because..of those small advantage in fire power but now La Gal is much better in that regards too so why the De Grasse? I am pretty sure we can ignore AA(so much for being AA ship IRL).

Edited by 0806sung

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles

because the selling point of de grasse is her being superior to the tech tree version,buffing la galisso(no gimmick or consumable) would make that selling point useless.

i'm sure they will give one day  de grasse the MRB just to get some sales,they always did that. i mean,look at harekaze,she receive the 100mm buff and she is a much better  ship than her tech tree counterpart.trading one gun for better maneuverability and more torps(with torpedo reload booster too).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,960 battles
4 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

I always thought De Grasse wasn't that special from La Gal though. I know De Grasse gets something like 0.8 second faster reload and few more HP but in return, De Grasse has MUCH worse Maneuverability than La Gal with worse rudder speed and worse turning circle. This is a huge drawback as these cruisers depend on avoiding shells to survive. Few un-lucky AP shells can wreck these ships. IMHO, De Grasse doesn't come out winning agianst La Gal just because of the survivability. Sometimes, when game goes just right for me, I do more damage in De Grasse because..of those small advantage in fire power but now La Gal is much better in that regards too so why the De Grasse?

DG has 10.5% more DPM, 14% more HP, is 2.5kt faster or 8% and gets up to a useful 36.18 instead of 33.48kt when engine boosting. DG's triple torpedo tubes are a far more potent threat than LG's twins too, when I've had to go for it the alpha on the twins is just pathetic.

Somewhat worse handling is more than offset by the speed advantage alone, being fast and turning fast is better than a little bit of turning radius/rudder shift. She is significantly better.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
14 minutes ago, mofton said:

Mofton, I never see this sort of thing as a buff, unwarranted or otherwise.  I just think that a nation's premiums should play the same as the tech tree ships of the same type.  For example, I think that the Dunkerque should have the speed boost consumable.  Or the Lo Yang should use DWTs.  And so on.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
5 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

because the selling point of de grasse is her being superior to the tech tree version,buffing la galisso(no gimmick or consumable) would make that selling point useless.

i'm sure they will give one day  de grasse the MRB just to get some sales,they always did that. i mean,look at harekaze,she receive the 100mm buff and she is a much better  ship than her tech tree counterpart.trading one gun for better maneuverability and more torps(with torpedo reload booster too).

Crux, I don't really think that the Harekaze (B hull) has a tech tree counterpart.

Also, could you PLEASE put a space after commas?   It's really annoying to see commas (or periods) without spaces after them.

[CAPGO]
Members
507 posts
3,255 battles
7 minutes ago, mofton said:

DG has 10.5% more DPM, 14% more HP, is 2.5kt faster or 8% and gets up to a useful 36.18 instead of 33.48kt when engine boosting. DG's triple torpedo tubes are a far more potent threat than LG's twins too, when I've had to go for it the alpha on the twins is just pathetic.

Somewhat worse handling is more than offset by the speed advantage alone, being fast and turning fast is better than a little bit of turning radius/rudder shift. She is significantly better.

Yes I see your point :) If we give MRB to DG, it would be straight up superior to LG. But as of now, DG is useless. I will take MRB over 10.5% DPM ANYDAY especially when the DPM is already kinda crap to begin with. I will take situational usefulness than overall meh. As for torpedo..Yes DG gets alpha but LG gets faster reload.. 

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Crux, I don't really think that the Harekaze (B hull) has a tech tree counterpart.

Also, could you PLEASE put a space after commas?   It's really annoying to see commas (or periods) without spaces after them.

the hull B is similar to akizuki, except she have more torps but one less gun. harekaze,while a kagero class DD(fictional) is pretty much unique. 

i would say it's a bad habit but that concept of "space after commas" is alien to me i think, since english is not my first language.

Edited by Cruxdei

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
14 minutes ago, Crucis said:

For example, I think that the Dunkerque should have the speed boost consumable.  Or the Lo Yang should use DWTs.  And so on.

French BBs don't get speed boost till T8. Lo Yang isnt unique in that regard, Anshan still has normal torpedoes as well.

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles
2 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

French BBs don't get speed boost till T8. Lo Yang isnt unique in that regard, Anshan still has normal torpedoes as well.

dunkerque should get an accuracy buff,normandie is a much better ship and she is tech tree.

that way dunkking would have one less turret but is more accurate,while normandie have a more guns to bear but less accurate.i think WG don't like dunkerque.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
15 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

And I think that the Anshan should also have to use DWTs.  As for the Dunkerque, I still think that she should get speed boost because a) it'd be a way to make her a little unique and b) she's one of the historically more modern French BBs, being from the same generation as the Richelieus rather than the WW1 generation of French BBs.

Of course, I'm also of the opinion that she should have been a tier 7, and given whatever tweaks were necessary to make her work at that tier.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
7 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

Honestly, when I first saw the thread's title, I thought you were going to talk about the Kitakami.

HE spam seems to be the new norm so maybe torp spam is the next frontier. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
22 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

the hull B is similar to akizuki, except she have more torps but one less gun. harekaze,while a kagero class DD(fictional) is pretty much unique. 

i would say it's a bad habit but that concept of "space after commas" is alien to me i think, since english is not my first language.

The Harekaze (B) is arguably the best balanced (between guns and torps) IJN DD currently in the game.  It kind of plays like a higher tier USN DD with its pleasant balance between guns and torps.  And the B hull also a good trainer for the Akizuki.  Of course, if you want to play it more as a trainer for regular IJN torp boats, then maybe the A hull is  the better choice.  

As for the comma thing, I can understand if it's alien to you.  The lack of a space after the comma (or period) is alien to me, and perhaps more so, to the forum's (or browser's) editor.  It freaks out (with red underlines for misspelled words) whenever it encounters a comma or period without a space after it (and before it).

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles
3 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

but that was the norm with the advent of torp reload booster i think.

[HCH]
Beta Testers
853 posts
7,167 battles
5 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Torp spam used to be big when it was just IJN and USN DDs.

[SPTR]
Members
25,577 posts
10,796 battles

Hmm interesting opinions on the DG, through I can see her getting a small buff in the future like a slightly better rudder shift time, currently she's an average t6 cruiser to me.

[SIM]
Members
2,421 posts
4,055 battles

While I would love the chance to play around with the new consumable, the Degrasse is already a good premium ship that doesn’t need any changes.

[LOU1]
Members
2,844 posts
7,974 battles

Interesting. I always found La Gal to be worse and have not really enjoyed playing her.  For a long time, De Grasse was my go to ship and still is for Operations.  She is far from forgotten with me.

[CAPGO]
Members
507 posts
3,255 battles
9 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Interesting. I always found La Gal to be worse and have not really enjoyed playing her.  For a long time, De Grasse was my go to ship and still is for Operations.  She is far from forgotten with me.

Have you played La Gal after she received Main Battery Reload Booster consumable?

[LOU1]
Members
2,844 posts
7,974 battles
38 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

Have you played La Gal after she received Main Battery Reload Booster consumable?

No.  Just CM and H IV.  Actually, I really only drive her if required to for a mission.  Guess I should take her for a spin.