Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

Season 10 Ranked - Changes from last season

26 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
2,344 posts
14,546 battles

There were 2 big changes since Season 9 that will affect what choice of ship I plan to take in T10:

1. Introduction of the Haragumo and Wooster

2. Availability of the Legendary mods to T10 ships

The Wooster is a T10 Atlanta. It has all the tools (Radar and Hydro) to push a DD off a cap or other zones they are controlling. The ship can sit behind cover and go rainbow spamming if one so chooses. It does have an advantage over the other T10 CL (Minotaur) over it's ability to set fires. It's general weakness is giving up citadels  if a BB looks at it the wrong way. I expect this ship to be target by a a Yamato or Montana sniper if this shows up in matches.

The Haragumo I have issues with. Fearsome gun firepower, sluggish maneuverability and higher detectability value than the Gearing. It's similar to the Grozovoi is most aspects.  You can make it work, but the Gearing or Z-53 is a better choice IMO.

The legendary mods I've found to be useful for ranked are the legendary mods of the ff:

1. Zao - increased rudder shift to 4.4 dgrees/sec, IIRC. You can now dodge shells/torps more easily. You don't give up anything in return

2. Hindenburg - Fires are now last 10 seconds rather than 30.  Your visibility is increased to approximately 13 km.

3.  Wooster - increased consumable duration. you visibility is increased to  approximately 10.5 km

So for my rotation I'd pick Zap, Hindy and Wooster for T10.

[TOG]
Members
2,344 posts
14,546 battles

Since I don't have access to it, I ca't comment on it.

[TOG]
Members
2,344 posts
14,546 battles

Since I don't have access to it, I can't comment on it.

[TNG-D]
Members
107 posts
800 battles
32 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

1. Zao - increased rudder shift to 4.4 dgrees/sec, IIRC. You can now dodge shells/torps more easily. You don't give up anything in return

This isn't quiet right. You don't just get rudder shift bonus, you get a dispersion bonus as well (and a small range bonus). And it does have a cost: less range than the range mod or the reload mod benefits. 

[TOG]
Members
2,344 posts
14,546 battles
2 minutes ago, NotSynpax said:

This isn't quiet right. You don't just get rudder shift bonus, you get a dispersion bonus as well (and a small range bonus). And it does have a cost: less range than the range mod or the reload mod benefits. 

True, but in a game where not being detected first is an advantage, the cost of less range is better than increased visibility. 

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,332 posts
3,552 battles
52 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

DD's for ranked - Yue Yang , Gearing and Groz / Z-52
CA's - Stalingrad, Zao, Des Moines and Hidenburg  henri 

BB's - Yamato / Montana / Republique and GK / Conq 

I dont touch CV's. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
7,354 battles

Honestly, one of the biggest differences will be Zao's 12km torpedoes. CB showed me just how ridiculously effective they are.

[ENDVR]
Members
367 posts
5,178 battles

Unsure if I want to equip Republiques for ranked.  Will probably determine after a couple days of random setup.

[TOG]
Members
2,344 posts
14,546 battles
6 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Honestly, one of the biggest differences will be Zao's 12km torpedoes. CB showed me just how ridiculously effective they are.

One of the tools I found best is the spotter plane. Any ships hiding behind an island gets burned. Might be problematic for a hindy with increased fire prevention though.

[-BSS-]
Members
384 posts
5,868 battles

Worcester weakness in 7v7 is lack of spotting due to fewer ships so its island hugging game limits its visibility unless it gets good spotting, and Worcester can’t really defeat any other cruiser 1 v 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,767 posts
4,790 battles
31 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

I dont touch CV's. 

M ore than a few will be trying the Harugomo, I'm sure, just cuz...I don't think it's flexible enough, and it's an XP piñata for CVs...but someone is bound to...

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,332 posts
3,552 battles
7 minutes ago, Thornir said:

M ore than a few will be trying the Harugomo, I'm sure, just cuz...I don't think it's flexible enough, and it's an XP piñata for CVs...but someone is bound to...

Yes I am sure, I just see them as island camping CL's that will have minimal impact on actually winning. Well see though. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,719 posts
9,426 battles

I'm a DD main, but no way am I gonna put myself through the joke that DD play is in Ranked. I'll play Hindy or Zao and just play as far as I feel like.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
2 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

I'm a DD main, but no way am I gonna put myself through the joke that DD play is in Ranked. I'll play Hindy or Zao and just play as far as I feel like.

Drake, I don't like calling myself a "main" in anything, but DDs are my most played type.  And I regularly play DDs in Ranked.  I played a small handful of different tier 8 DDs last season before settling on the Akizuki to get up to rank 10.  However, given that I don't have the patience to grind up to rank 1, I don't have much experience with tier 10 DDs in ranked play last season.  I'm not even sure what the popular tier 10 DDs are for Ranked.  (I have them all except for the Haragumo.)

[TSPC]
Beta Testers
1,104 posts
10,087 battles

thinking of trotting out the Cleveland at tier 8.   We should be getting our free re-spec today right?

[LOU1]
Members
2,844 posts
7,974 battles
2 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

thinking of trotting out the Cleveland at tier 8.   We should be getting our free re-spec today right?

From August 24 until August 31, players who join at least one Clan Battle will be able to redistribute the skill points of their Commanders for free.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/august-missions-2018/

• Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
388 posts
5,105 battles
1 hour ago, Cobraclutch said:

I dont touch CV's. 

Moskva over Henry imo for the avg player. Yes there are unicorns that can play any ship like a boss

[LDC]
Members
15 posts
3,358 battles

The biggest change from last season to this one will be the total lack of DD's in play. Introduction of all these OP ships just before Ranked play? You go right ahead and try to consistently run a DD and see how effective you will be. I truly hope I'm wrong, honestly I do. 

Thoughts anyone?

[TSPC]
Beta Testers
1,104 posts
10,087 battles
1 minute ago, Kaoskdf said:

The biggest change from last season to this one will be the total lack of DD's in play. Introduction of all these OP ships just before Ranked play? You go right ahead and try to consistently run a DD and see how effective you will be. I truly hope I'm wrong, honestly I do. 

Thoughts anyone?

might be less of a problem at tier 8

[TOG]
Members
2,344 posts
14,546 battles
28 minutes ago, Kaoskdf said:

Thoughts anyone?

Well, the USN CL line means radar. But that means only 1 more radar choice.  You plan an exit vector out of a cap and don't hide in smoke in the first 5 minutes of a match.  That's why you use SE as a CO skill or you take the Kidd for more HP pools. 

[SBS]
Members
2,393 posts
2,247 battles
2 hours ago, Thornir said:

I would guess the Harugomo will be like the Knab and not really work well trying to farm damage in T10 ranked.

2 hours ago, Visidious said:

Worcester weakness in 7v7 is lack of spotting due to fewer ships so its island hugging game limits its visibility unless it gets good spotting, and Worcester can’t really defeat any other cruiser 1 v 1

You're probably right.  I have a feeling people will be trading their sauce for hindy in the 5-1 bracket. 

1 hour ago, RobertViktor68 said:
1 hour ago, Kaoskdf said:

Thoughts anyone?

might be less of a problem at tier 8

DDs seemed to be fine in the T8 brackets, not so much in the 5-1.  Too bad most people won't get many games in T8 this time around. 

[NOBS]
Members
466 posts
5,338 battles

Idiots in cv's have almost convinced me not to even play ranked

Members
3,617 posts
13,402 battles
3 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

I've already played as far as I care to. I had enough stars from the last season to get me to Rank 15 and had to get one star in 15 to secure it. That took 2 battles, the first was a loss, to do so. I'll get the flag at the end of the season. That's the full extent of my participation in Ranked season 10... 2 battles.

I might have decided to go further if it wasn't tier 10 from Rank 15 onwards.

Sign in to follow this