Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Eugenie_101

Gumo vs Khaba

6 comments in this topic

[DANKY]
Members
421 posts
1,544 battles

I wonder if anyone has seen a one on one duel between the beast of the east and a khaba yet. I would hand the advantage to Harugumo's more guns and insane dakka, but it’s more complicated than that alone. 

* mobility  Khaba has what old time sailors call the weather gauge.  Khab chooses when and where to engage and it sets the range of the engagement. That’s a big deal.  It has the mobility to disengage when it wants, but ‘gumo can blow smoke so that’s a draw  

* smoke. If the Harugumo has an ally with vision then Khaba has to retreat. No way around that. And it’s a free disengage-at-any-time card. But on its own (without spotting allies) smoke isn’t a great offensive tool, and ‘gumos cannot linger in smoke as long as the red team still has torps. 

* guns. Every hit on the ‘gumo will do damage, but Khaba’s 50mm armor will shrug off even the ‘gumo’s improved HE. That should even things out some. Meanwhile Harugumo’s AP is not even worth discussing. And since Khaba has the weather gauge, she can stay at her preferred distance of 11km where the Russian 130mm shell's travel time is something like 2.5 or 3 seconds while Harugumo’s is, what, double that?  

* dodging. At 11km Khaba can juke a lot of ‘gumo’s fire due to speed, maneuverability (with more or less mandatory upgrades) and those rainbow 100mm shell arcs.  Some shells will inevitably hit due to sheer numbers, but that’s a lot scarier when you’re talking about the Alsace.  Harugumo is big like Khaba but it is slow, it turns like a CV, and it has to dodge laser guns.  I think Khaba's hit % at 11km will be a lot higher. 

* special skills. Harugumo has TRB. That’s not much threat unless Khaba makes a grave mistake. On the other hand ‘gumo’s main threat being HE damage and fire means that Khaba can afford to trade most of its health and come back later with it all healed up. So strictly in one-on-one terms heal plus the speed to run when needed is a perfect counter to ‘gumo’s scary raw DPM. 

All of this says to me that Khaba should not fear Harugumo one-on-one, as long as he plays to his strenths. Frankly Grozovoi should do even better because it has more range, better concealment, better agility, AND a heal.

But of course all that’s strictly on paper! If anyone has tried this I’d be curious to hear how it turned out. 

Edited by Eugenie_101

[DANKY]
Members
421 posts
1,544 battles

( I realize now that my headline was kind of a tease. Sorry about that!  I wrote the post because I saw my first ‘gumo last night while driving my Khaba. I was racing to take him on, but he yolo’d a Montana and got erased. I’ll post my thoughts as soon as I face one that isn’t suicidal. )

Edited by Eugenie_101

Members
753 posts
10 battles

LOL If Khaba players want a buff they should intentionally play bad and let the Gumo out perform her. Having a ship out perform a Russian ship will make the devs panic and they will Buff the Khaba in response.

Members
755 posts
3,929 battles

It's not even a contest, the Khab should win unless they do something dumb like staying still or closing to torp range.

Thing goes 43 kt base with silly fast accel and rudder shift, and has guns that shoot way faster/flat trajectory shells, and has 50mm plating that will shatter even IFHE.

Haru has meme-ified IJN guns with terrible mobility and CL size.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles

Last night I had a 1v1 while I my Khabarovsk.  Me at 20% health with no heals left. Having watched the replay, Gumo was at 80% health after they ran into our Udaloi earlier and disengaged.

I won with about 10% health remaining.

[WOLF2]
Members
154 posts
10,545 battles

I was really close yesterday to completing the first stage of the legendary grind for the Khaba so I played 3 games in it to finish it off.  In 2 of the 3 I had Haragumos eat me alive.  I freely admit that Khaba isn't my best ship...I'm better with BB's and CA's than any DD, but from what I've seen so far of Haragumo, those things are beastly.   I cringe in ANY ship when I see one...the gunfire from them is truly fearsome.  it's gonna be one of those ships that everyone at the beginning of the match will put in chat that it needs to die first.  

Sign in to follow this