You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HawkeFeathers

Why do ships appear then disappear?

8 comments in this topic

[USCC]
[USCC]
Members
22 posts
8,652 battles

What I'm having trouble getting a grasp on is "how ships can come into range and then disappear". Now this is without them entering a smoked zone or moving back away. 

Maybe if someone can provide a link to good video that explains the concepts of detectability and usage of radar?

[LANCE]
Members
291 posts
3,095 battles

A very simplified version of how this works :

An enemy ship has a detection range of 10km. After shooting his guns his detection range changes to 15km. Regardless of whether your view range is 15 km or 25km, once the 20 seconds after firing his guns and his view range being 15km is up his detection drops back down to 10km. If your not within that 10km he will disapear.

Hope that helps! o7

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
1,832 posts
12,286 battles
1 hour ago, HawkeFeathers said:

What I'm having trouble getting a grasp on is "how ships can come into range and then disappear". Now this is without them entering a smoked zone or moving back away. 

Maybe if someone can provide a link to good video that explains the concepts of detectability and usage of radar?

It doesnt make sense, just like crossing the t in this game gets the “crosser” deleted, nevertheless it’s how this game works. The best exploit of this is called “kiting” and refers to a ship following you at the edge of his gun bloom range, firing, then slowing down, thus making him disappear. It’s often seen on british bbs, and hight tier ijn ca, but anyone cand do it. You know when you are doing it because the “detected” icon on your screen should be turning off just after it turns on as you fire. Good luck!

Edited by monpetitloup

[SYN]
Members
326 posts
5,988 battles

Most likely what you don’t understand is called proxy spotting.  WG allows you to “see” ships that your teammates see.  If your teammate spots a ship, you can see and target it.  If the teammate spotting it can no long spot it, it disappears for you, too.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
242 posts
4,107 battles

lately I have struggled with the detection meta. I am seeing ships disappear while continue to fire, and I feel like i am in there detection range because I am SHOOTING right at them!. The worst offender is the Worcestershire. Ive seen that ship open water fire undetected a couple of times. 

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
38 posts
1,378 battles
6 hours ago, skillztowin said:

lately I have struggled with the detection meta. I am seeing ships disappear while continue to fire, and I feel like i am in there detection range because I am SHOOTING right at them!. The worst offender is the Worcestershire. Ive seen that ship open water fire undetected a couple of times. 

If you are out of main gun range of the enemy when fired upon and are moving forward, you could move into his range, be hit by the incoming shells, and never see the ship that fired them.