You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mahrs

I might be done with USN DD...

95 comments in this topic

Members
1,587 posts
4,356 battles

I actually burned fxp to upgrade the Fletcher.  I really bought into the hype.  I suppose after not much caring for Benson I should have known better.  Bottom line: there isn't much about Fletcher I like.  I definitely feel like the line hasn't been worth the grind.  I could have stopped at Clemson or Nicholas and enjoyed everything it had to offer.  I'll continue to grind away stubbornly, but have not interest in Gearing and will relegate Fletcher to "daily win only, and only if I'm bored" status. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Members
1,134 posts
6,725 battles

The fletcher is one of those all around good DDs that doesn't excel in one thing or another compared to lines with more specialized designs.

Some of the best torps in the game?  Yep.  Good smoke?  Yep.  DFAA for CVs or picking off annoying planes?  yep.  Competitive concealment?  Yep.  It's gun power is meh. mainly due to the gun arcs past 7km, and needing to keep the enemy within said range to get the most out of your DPM.  You can certainly hit stuff past 7km, just not as easy. 

many lines give up one thing or another to be strong in one area while the flecther all around is just solid in about every category.  it was certainly a ship i enjoyed playing a lot.  I play it occasionally when i am in the mood and do not feel like playing one of the many ships i am grinding. 

i never did bother getting the gearing.   For randoms anyways, i feel like its just really meh.  If it handled better and and BB AP wasn't so strong against it, i would of gotten it a long time ago.(not to mention its new torp option)

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I Free-XPed to Fletcher too and I hated her. My fault for not learning her previous tiers. And then I learned the "way of being scared of everything" for IJN DDs and I applied that to Fletcher. Now Fletcher treats me well. The only reason I could never do well with Fletcher was because I was too carefree with her guns. So if you are the type who tends to just gunboat your way, I suggest refraining from that and hold your fire til you need to like you would an IJN DD. Her rainbow-arc can take a bit to get used too but once you get used to it, it is not a big deal.

Edited by Vangm94

[LANCE]
Members
293 posts
3,100 battles

I have all the USN DD’s from Farragut up to Gearing except Mahan ... got the Sims instead. Fletcher is still my favorite. As Fredick_The_Great said, they’re a jack of all trades but not really a master of any one skill. Great knife fighters though!

The Gearing does seem to be a little of a downgrade from the Fletcher in some respects but still my favorite T10 DD

Hopefully if you play the Fletcher a bit more you may fall in love with it like many others have!

Good luck out there mate! o7

• Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles

The Fletcher is more agile but the Gearing is tankier (with the commander skill, especially) and has better guns. In this day of radar, those 16.5 km torps are much needed too. You can sit outside of radar range with the Gearing and torp with impunity. If you are radared you can usually flee with at least some of your health remaining and then have a faster reload with the adrenaline rush skill. The Gearing is a pretty darn good gunboat too. I generally do most of my damage with the guns. I'd say that. right now,. the Gearing is my all-time favorite ship. There is really no need to keep a Fletcher once you have a Gearing, IMO. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[INTEL]
Members
8,444 posts
25,340 battles
16 hours ago, Mahrs said:

I actually burned fxp to upgrade the Fletcher.  I really bought into the hype.  I suppose after not much caring for Benson I should have known better.  Bottom line: there isn't much about Fletcher I like.  I definitely feel like the line hasn't been worth the grind.  I could have stopped at Clemson or Nicholas and enjoyed everything it had to offer.  I'll continue to grind away stubbornly, but have not interest in Gearing and will relegate Fletcher to "daily win only, and only if I'm bored" status. 

Trollpost, right? It's one of the best DDs in the game. Makes Gearing feel like a sidegrade. 

• Cool 3

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles
3 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

It's one of the best DDs in the game. Makes Gearing feel like a sidegrade. 

You probably are correct here. I really like the Gearing but I will agree that some people might want to stick with the Fletcher for its agility. However, since the Gearing now has the Fletcher's torps as an option, don't do this just for the faster torp reload and harder-hitting torps because you can get the same on the Gearing.

Edited by Snargfargle

[BROOK]
Members
1,593 posts
52 minutes ago, Mahrs said:

The only DDs worth playing are the IJN torp botes, IMHO.  I prefer cruisers.

• Boring 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,828 posts
4,836 battles

Fletcher was hands down my favorite DD until I started grinding the Pan Asians. You can do anything in that bote.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,828 posts
4,836 battles
1 minute ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

The only DDs worth playing are the IJN torp botes, IMHO.  I prefer cruisers.

PVP's a little different.

• Funny 4

[NDA]
Supertester
4,791 posts
13,614 battles

This insult to the greatest DD class in the game can not stand.

B7hK46P.gif

Clearly you aren't playing the Fletcher correctly. 

Edited by RedSeaBear

[SIDE]
Members
716 posts
3,151 battles

The PanAsian DDs are still a frightening ship to go against. Deep water torps will destroy most ships if they dont have hydro active. And they tend to be harder to hit. (Yueyang sits waaaaay lower in the water than the gearing)

Also for tier 9. You dont want the fletcher. You want the black! With radar and smoke... I wish I had it... 

[LANCE]
Members
293 posts
3,100 battles
58 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The Fletcher is more agile but the Gearing is tankier (with the commander skill, especially) and has better guns. In this day of radar, those 16.5 km torps are much needed too. You can sit outside of radar range with the Gearing and torp with impunity. If you are radared you can usually flee with at least some of your health remaining and then have a faster reload with the adrenaline rush skill. The Gearing is a pretty darn good gunboat too. I generally do most of my damage with the guns. I'd say that. right now,. the Gearing is my all-time favorite ship. There is really no need to keep a Fletcher once you have a Gearing, IMO. 

With the Torpedo Speed Boost captain skill (can’t remember its name ... it’s late!) you still 13.5 Km torps (outta radar range) but those babies do 71kts :cap_cool:

31 minutes ago, Merlox said:

The PanAsian DDs are still a frightening ship to go against. Deep water torps will destroy most ships if they dont have hydro active. And they tend to be harder to hit. (Yueyang sits waaaaay lower in the water than the gearing)

Also for tier 9. You dont want the fletcher. You want the black! With radar and smoke... I wish I had it... 

I WANT the Black! It’s the only ship that’d make me sell my Fletcher!! Hoping to get more steel/coal towards it during ranked ... in my go to boat .. the Gearing! :cap_like:

Edited by Bravo4zero

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
560 posts
5,112 battles
1 hour ago, Mahrs said:

What hype? She is an excellent ship, great torps with a short reload, guns to contest most dds in knife fights, and great concealment only beat by Yugumo. (*this next part is not a stat shame but more of advice from another fletcher captain who does very well in her.) I check and you have a good win rate in fletcher but only 37k average damage. I would suggest use your torps everytime they are up and be more aggressive towards caps and getting close to land those torps. Also setting fires with your guns is good. Plus Benson is an awesome ship, (keep her in the B-Hull config for the extra gun), with all the same attributes that are found after her in the fletch just with worse torps than fletch.

Members
1,587 posts
4,356 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Trollpost, right? It's one of the best DDs in the game. Makes Gearing feel like a sidegrade. 

Troll post?  No, certainly not.  Neither was my post stating that "Bismarck isn't a keeper" before it was cool to hate on KM BB.  While I hope that she does, as one poster said, grow on me over time, I do not currently enjoy Fletcher.  It's probably on par with Khab for buyers remorse at the moment.  I suppose I miss the days when I could actually gun boat a bit with the USN DDs.  Fletcher has decent torps...but, torps in general don't seem all that decent.

1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

This insult to the greatest DD class in the game can not stand.

B7hK46P.gif

Clearly you aren't playing the Fletcher correctly. 

I don't doubt it.  I cannot even claim to know how to play her correctly.  Even the matches where I play well/win are unsatisfying in a way that leaves me greatly disappointed. 

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,668 posts
7,570 battles

This is why I dont free xp to ships, I save the free xp for modules and for free xping through ships. I dont know how many games you have in the fletcher but it is a exactly like a Benson except better, better torps, better guns, better everything really. It is also at a tier were everything else is better and if you didnt learn how to the Farragut, Mahan, and Benson it might be a tough time. I dont know why you are not enjoying your time in the ship, that is really a personal thing and you haven not explained your reasons why you dont like it. If its performance issues, it should be a decently performing ship although DDs are highly situational and recently its not been as good a time to play DDs. I recommend you send some replays to @Lord_Zath he can give you some feedback that might help you perform better which might increase how much you enjoy the ship or you can look up videos of others playing the ship which might help as well. 

If its how well you do in the ship dont give up yet, DDs are hard to master. If the ship is just not meshing with you then yeah its probably your bad it is similar to the Benson in a lot of ways so that should have been a hint about that. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,477 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

It used to be one of the best DDs in the game. Since 6.3 they've suffered horribly from gun bloom issues, smoke nerf, and the introduction of more and more radar ships.

Anything meaningful that a Fletcher can do, a Harekaze or Z-46 can do it better.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,651 posts
14,025 battles

I really like Fletcher.  Very all around DD.  Stealth, handling, guns, fast reloading and powerful torpeduz.  She's so nice that even a player like me who barely touches DDs has done well with her.  Those torps are really nice, and their availability when you need them the most is awesome.

Members
321 posts
6,069 battles

Benson, Fletcher, and Gearing are all amazing DD's.  I kept all 3, and spec'd a new captain for my Fletcher, for torpedoes. I think the racks reload around 81 seconds with the reload module and captain skill. I generally cycle my racks, so I always have one available, or a short wait time till it is.  So roughly every 40 seconds or so, I can have five 19k damage fish in the water headed to someone. 10.5 km is still more than enough to work with, even with the current radar meta. Kept my Benson for tier 8 ranked.  Gearing is/was definitely a side grade. The game play in it was a bit different, with it being a little more sluggish and having longer range torps. I'm usually pretty aggressive in my US DD's. Which tends to get me into hot water, since so many teams at those tiers seem allergic to moving anywhere near a cap circle. Lately, I have been hanging back or just dipping into a cap circle to bait a radar use, and moving back out. Especially if it seems like the team is going to play hide and seek behind islands or the map edges.

Edited by Valas1

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
560 posts
5,112 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

It used to be one of the best DDs in the game. Since 6.3 they've suffered horribly from gun bloom issues, smoke nerf, and the introduction of more and more radar ships.

Anything meaningful that a Fletcher can do, a Harekaze or Z-46 can do it better.

Nope not even close on that last one.

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,622 battles

You haven't been tried the Sims,aren't you?

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,121 posts
18,636 battles

Fletcher is the improved version of the Benson. She can do everything the T8 can do, just better. The Gearing sacrifices the manouverability of the T9 for longer range torpedos and more firepower. I think that's why I like the Yueyang aka Sumner class more. She has the firepower of the Geraing but just a bit more nimble.

[CUTE]
Members
5,157 posts
3,432 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

There is really no need to keep a Fletcher once you have a Gearing, IMO. 

Especially now that Gearing can mount the 10.5km Fletcher torps.

I've been playing Gearing with the 10.5 in Random and then swap out for the longer torps in Clan Battles.