_1204_

British Bbs ammo choice per tier

8 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

So its no secret that the RN battleships have absolutely absurd HE, but often times my best games are using AP. I started as a HE spammer (dont worry, only for RN), but as I moved up I was switching back to AP more and more. Now I have my lion bought, and am retraining my cap on Nelson. Ive come to realize that I have lost any and all skill I had in her. I loved her when I first got her, but now Im helpless. My best guess is Ive been in high tiers for too long because I can barely swing a tier 6 or 7 game! Also got me thinking which type of ammo should I default fire in Lion? Obviously it is a situational thing, but I was wanting opinions on which RN ships have the good/bad AP shells. Sometimes I just cant take the fire chance RNG roll.

Also is expert loader a worthy investment? 

thanks!

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,521 posts
3,514 battles

Some players swear by it but I never had a need for it, I just fire my shells and reload with the ones i feel is best 

[PVE]
Members
492 posts
4,063 battles

I also just fire what I have loaded and load whatever I think is most appropriate for what I think 30 seconds later will look like. So far, only up to Queen Elizabeth, I use way more AP than HE.

Edit: I also use expert marksman.

Edited by MasterDiggs

Members
4,131 posts

On the RN line, I've got up to T7 and found that with the QE and KGV I've pretty much switched back to AP over HE.  I look at damage per shell hit (yes, I include overall damage) and with HE I find I'm constantly at a lower damage per shell hit than with AP.  Now, T3-5 I do more with HE than AP, the only BBs I actually do that with.

[KAPPA]
Members
134 posts
4,210 battles

Expert Loader can be real helpful, I imagine. I use it on my US BBs with Doe, and while a 75% reduction is vastly superior to a 50%, RN BBs switch ammo a lot more often. That said, the main appeal is quickly responding to a DD, so it might not be quite as helpful at 15 seconds. Although, with the reload reduced at T9+ it'd probably be more useful than before then. Till I gave up Expert Marksman on Mo, I was using the increased reload, making my ammo switch time get down to silly low numbers for a BB.

[HSD]
Members
280 posts
9,399 battles

Expert Loader is great on the RN BBs, the real benefit to it is not while you are actively shooting and revealed, but rather when you are running dark in stealth. The ability to see a BB or Cruiser that is potentially going to open itself up to an AP salvo that you can switch to in 12 odd seconds is where it's value lies. If you look for opportunities to run dark in the RN BBs and sneak in for surprise salvos you will get use out of Expert Loader. If you prefer to play at a distance EL will have less merit.

As for HE vs AP it comes down to the situation, RN AP works differently with the short fuses so aiming higher (upper belt armor and even superstructure) can net very impressive damage, it isn't consistent for citadel fishing though, in exchange it is a lot more consistent for normal pen damage when aimed for that purpose.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

For Tech Tree RN BBs, I spent time the most with VII KGV and X Conqueror. 

For KGV, the AP has failed me on so many occasions that I now pretend her AP shells don't exist.

For Conqueror, HE is my standard, go-to shell, but I shift to AP for proper situations.  I can see ahead of time when I will want AP, so it's loaded ahead of time in anticipation.  Expert Loader is pointless for me.  A crucial thing to remember with Tech Tree RN BB AP is that they have short fuses.  I've gotten my Conqueror in <1km to another Conqueror, fired Full 12 gun AP salvo broadside into the waterline, got 9 Non-Pens, etc.  That short fuse may not get you Mega Citadel Salvos, but it can get you Penetrations instead of Overpens.  What you need to do against another well armored BB is aim for upper hull, above the citadel, and bag mad amount of Penetration damage.  At range, aiming for the base superstructure area can also be rewarding.  Against Cruisers that you can catch their sides, AP will wreck them as you get less Overpens.  But a lot of players aren't that stupid, so they will not get you convenient broadsides for killer AP salvos, so HE often gets used.

Lion when upgraded uses the same 419mm guns as Conqueror, just 9 of them instead of 12.  I'd imagine the same rules apply with 419-Lion as 419-Conqueror.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
3,836 battles

I fire primarily AP in my 457 Conqueror. 
Nobody expects it, one, and two, that stuff hurts. I once landed a 16k salvo on another conqueror from 14-15k away.
Yet people blithely fire HE, forgetting AP exists because its not the usual AP. 
Even KGV can do good damage on target if you peg fore and aft ends, or if they angle, their superstructures. 

Sign in to follow this