Sign in to follow this  
vak_

Anyone else having NVIDIA-related client crashes after installing the new client version?

13 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,741 posts
6,703 battles

Is anybody else having NVIDIA-related black screens? Never had this happen before this WoWS version.

Immediately after the update (vanilla client, no mods) I started the game, and it crashed into a black screen after one game (but the desktop was still accessible, just had to kill the client):

u3ySIRS.png

Thought to myself, heck, must be the old video card driver. So I updated to the most recent version, 398.82. Now the game crashes almost immediately, and does so completely -- i.e. PC has to be restarted, or restarts automatically.

Already submitted a ticket, just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Members
831 posts
1,260 battles

Update drivers? 378.49 is pretty old iirc

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,741 posts
6,703 battles
12 minutes ago, MeKanism said:

Update drivers? 378.49 is pretty old iirc

I did update, and stated so in my original post. Didn't help.

Beta Testers
10 posts
4,033 battles

I know a few people with nvidia cards (GTX 1070s and 980 iirc) and they have not had any problems so far.

Just a couple quick things that might be worth trying

• Uninstall graphics driver and reboot before installing updated ones. (or I guess in your case re-installing the latest)
  • Perform an integrity check on the game files
  • Delete game settings to reset video setting

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

I just got a 1080 and have no issues with the next to last video card driver.

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,741 posts
6,703 battles
1 hour ago, RogueKitsune said:

I know a few people with nvidia cards (GTX 1070s and 980 iirc) and they have not had any problems so far.

Just a couple quick things that might be worth trying

• Uninstall graphics driver and reboot before installing updated ones. (or I guess in your case re-installing the latest)
  • Perform an integrity check on the game files
  • Delete game settings to reset video setting

Reinstalled card drive, did a clean reinstall of the client, issue persists. I can tell the game is still running and being responsive because of the sound, but the display stops working.

Sigh. Guess I'll have to see what the support says, thought right now they're not being helpful at all. Bet they won't do jack, and I'll just end up buying a new video card or something. 

[S_B]
[S_B]
Members
34 posts
7,718 battles

im having a similiar issue. when in battle the game dumps to my desktop. i can still hear the battle going on but about a third of my screen is black and it wont go back to the game. i have to open task manager to close the game and it says the game isnt responding. i didnt have any issues before the last update and then i didnt until i went to the news screen. since then it has fgotten worse, to the point i cant play. in port i didnt have any issues. i did a clean reinstall of my graphics driver and then when i went to log in, the port was black and wouldnt load. i run the game on a Acer Nitro5 Laptop and have had no issues before and play other games without issue, many are a LOT more resourse intensive. i have uninstalled the game and am going to try reinstalling with a clean install to see if that clears it up.

anyone have any ideas what is actually going on with it. the graphics on my laptop are the Geoforce 1050.

[S_B]
[S_B]
Members
34 posts
7,718 battles

i did a clean re-install of my video drivers, no help. then i did the same with the game, again no help. i downloaded and installed the stand alone client and left the video settings at default (medium) and it works. gotta go to work but when i get home i will try turning the Game Center version video settings back down and see if that fixes that version.

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles
On 8/23/2018 at 9:47 PM, vak_ said:

Bet they won't do jack, and I'll just end up buying a new video card or something. 

They can't fix hardware issues and it decidedly looks more like a hardware issue - maybe overheating.  Blow out the fan with compressed air and get software to get temps of the card.  My GTX 670 started acting up 2 months ago till I finally got the new card with the same basic symptomology.

Edited by CylonRed

[WOLF3]
Members
5,928 posts
2,199 battles

@vak_

I have a GT 710 less that a year old.  Driver 24.21.13.9882 dated 7/30/18**.

If you install Geforce Experience it will install the latest drivers. Downloading them from the Drivers Update site will get the older drivers.  398.82 is pretty old but IIRC the latest on the Updates site.  Edit: See below.

Unfortunately I have the same problem with the driver crashing, and have had for a while.  Try disabling or stop using Sleep.  Run WoWS client with as few other windows open as possible.  If it starts to crash on you often, try a cold restart. 

Good luck.

** Edit:  The latest Geforce driver identifies itself as 398.82 on the crash pop-up.  I was using the version shown in Device Manager.  No further info.

Edited by iDuckman

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,741 posts
6,703 battles

Small update. I tried all the things support suggested, no cigar. Ended up just buying a 1060, wanted to upgrade the card for a while now. 

[WOLF3]
Members
5,928 posts
2,199 battles

New driver as of yesterday.  It's even worse for the crashes.  Wish I could afford a new card.

Sign in to follow this