Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Will Baltimore be viable for ranked play?

24 comments in this topic

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles

Skill > any ship. 

If you are patient, smart, have a full grasp of the mini map then the Balti will be great. If you love to spam your guns and take hard shots...no. I love the Balti, or did before it went to tier8. Yes it will be viable, but you have to know how to protect it at all times.

• Cool 1

Members
1,132 posts
3,141 battles

I would argue baltimore is one of the best tier 8 cruisers. It's got the 27mm bow (will bounce bismarck and tirpitz shells), it's got the radar, it has the DPM (10 second reload on the 203s is nothing to laugh at, combined with American Piercing and good fire chance), there's the good AA, and the good concealment. 

• Cool 3

Members
321 posts
6,069 battles

At the ranks available for Tier 8, honestly, anything will do, as long as you play well, and preferably it's not stock and has a reasonably skilled captain.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,918 battles

Since radar on cruisers is almost standard at the tier, and Baltimore brings no other consumables to the party, I'm betting a lot of the community contributors who make lists or videos recommending ships for the season will rank her low on the list.

That said, if it works for you, use it.  If it's the only ship you have for the mode, use it.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,704 battles

I feel like it's too slow.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,648 posts
14,025 battles

Someone ranked out long ago in a POS Indianapolis, one of the worst ships in the game.  Anything's possible if you're good and stubborn enough.

• Funny 1

[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles

Well, the Baltimore is a lot like the New Orleans was at tier VIII before New Orleans shifted down to T7 and Baltimore took her place at T8.  

I played a lot of Ranked Battles last season in New Orleans and she was a tough, hard hitting ship which, when combined with her radar, made an pretty powerful combination.  From what I've experienced with Baltimore, she plays like a tougher version of the NO so I don't think she'll have any problems in Ranked this season. 

[DENY]
Members
296 posts
4,429 battles

It all about the captain personally I will use my Massachusetts , I do really good in it  even if some people don't like it because of the sigma  , unfortunately for me I will likely no play t8 very long in ranked

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

She hits hard, has good AA for swatting down the odd CV that will sneak in, and is a good all-round package. Even before factoring radar she's a good choice, just like New Orleans was last season.

[-WPG-]
Members
737 posts
3,145 battles

The NO was the only T8 ship I had last season. It did fine. I ground all the way to T9 in it without even playing a random battle with it. The Baltimore is even better.  The radar mod 1 module basically being available to everyone now gives it another slight boost. 

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles

The Baltimore is an excellent ship; in fact, it's everything I'd hoped the new tier VIII Cleveland would be and has pretty much replaced it as my "go to" American cruiser at that tier. It's tanky and hard-hitting. If you start seeing a lot of planes in Ranked, then look no farther than the Baltimore -- it's an excellent AA platform if spec'd right too. Or, replace the AA module with hydro if you are having trouble with DDs and torpedoes; even sans the AA module the Baltimore still has decent AA.

Edited by Snargfargle

[LUCK]
Members
1,276 posts
19,091 battles
1 hour ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I would argue baltimore is one of the best tier 8 cruisers. It's got the 27mm bow (will bounce bismarck and tirpitz shells), it's got the radar, it has the DPM (10 second reload on the 203s is nothing to laugh at, combined with American Piercing and good fire chance), there's the good AA, and the good concealment. 

It's not a tough argument to make.

It has the best AA at tier, sorry Cleveland.

It has the best AP at tier, they are SHS like DM.

It has good radar range and duration.

Really good concealment.

Good durability, for a cruiser, and the aforementioned 27mm bow. I love keeping 15" BBs bow on and punishing them- problem is I'm 75% in a T10 battle.

Ability to mount hydro and good maneuverability.

ROF is not bad.

Baltimore, now at T8 is underappreciated I think.

• Cool 1

Members
1,132 posts
3,141 battles
17 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

It's not a tough argument to make.

It has the best AA at tier, sorry Cleveland.

It has the best AP at tier, they are SHS like DM.

It has good radar range and duration.

Really good concealment.

Good durability, for a cruiser, and the aforementioned 27mm bow. I love keeping 15" BBs bow on and punishing them- problem is I'm 75% in a T10 battle.

Ability to mount hydro and good maneuverability.

ROF is not bad.

Baltimore, now at T8 is underappreciated I think.

Atago has the torps and the insane stealth, Kutusov has the range, Edinburgh has the smoke, etc. etc. It is a tough argument because they are all competitive. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,338 posts
9,433 battles

Last season, there were only 3) T8 radar ships in ranked:  New Orleans,  Chapayev, and Edinburgh.

This coming season, there are 4):  Cleveland (9km), Baltimore (9km), Chapayev(11.7km), and Edinburgh(9km).

Armor-wise..   Baltimore is a tank compared to the other glass cannons here.  Cleveland next, then Edinburgh, with Chappy being the big citadel billboard of the lot.

The 11.7 range of the Chappy might appear superior, but if you get 11.7km from ANYTHING, you are waaaayyy too close with that.  I've citadeled one with an Atlanta.

With small teams, and camping BBs, the cruisers will have to push.  They will have to locate the DDs and withstand bombardments from the enemy BBs when spotted.

I think radar will be king, like it was the last few seasons.  The Baltimore will have it's OP place.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,338 posts
9,433 battles

As far as non-radar cruisers...   Kutuzov and Edinburgh (selected) has smoke, but can still be punished by concealed BBs, and lit up by Radar.

Atago and Prinz Eugen both have heal now.  Prinz Eugen has the better layered/sloped armor, though.

I'm thinking PE will be another tank cruiser of T8, and give the Baltimore a good brawl as they slug it out and dominate the early battles... and it has 6km torps and 5.5km stackable hydro.

Hipper has a better rudder and turning radius, but no heal..  Atago/Takao/Mogami are the biggest torpedo threat, but will melt if caught on the flank.

Interesting how this will turn out.  But then again...   These are War Games..  That's how one figures these things out.

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
558 posts
5,112 battles

I think she will, but I say that with some hesitation. She has great HE and the Super Heavy AP much like Des Moines. The problem is that she eats damage in return, so if she is focused she will be sunk very quickly.

[BNKR]
Members
654 posts
664 battles

I think I'll give her a shot tonight in a couple matches and see what's up. I've never played ranked, so it'll be an experience either way.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,825 posts
3,974 battles
16 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I think I'll give her a shot tonight in a couple matches and see what's up. I've never played ranked, so it'll be an experience either way.

It's pure T8 Random matchmaking with seven players, but because of the opt-in nature the players TEND to be able to play as a team and TEND to be willing to follow a plan (statistically speaking; individual games may vary wildly). Never having to face T10 (until you reach that wall) is more of an upside than not having T6 ships to pick on (some of which can end you anyway if handled well) is a downside.

13 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Last season, there were only 3) T8 radar ships in ranked:  New Orleans,  Chapayev, and Edinburgh.

I tried Radar Edinburgh in Ranked and it was... interesting. Having to give up the smoke, which is a central part of UK cruiser play at T5 or above, was uncomfortable, and it's a compromise none of the other radar cruisers has to make. Yes, you have to give something up in them too, but it's not as a fundamental a part of the meta of those ships. (It's doable, and better players than me can probably do it very well, but I found myself playing a much more cautious game and feeling I wasn't contributing as much while simply trying to stay alive. Baltimore won't have that disadvantage.)

If I hadn't been so obsessed with grabbing a 19 point captain which wasn't American*, I'd probably have ground through to the Balt by now and would be taking her. Alas, unless something changes in the future, this Ranked season will probably put me permanently over the threshold for ever playing at Tier 8 in Ranked again.

* = nothing against Americans; simply that my highest-level captain was British so he was the one who got the power grind.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
17,814 posts
5,087 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's pure T8 Random matchmaking with seven players, but because of the opt-in nature the players TEND to be able to play as a team and TEND to be willing to follow a plan....

Not only that, but even without the plan, everybody is literally in it to win it.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,387 posts
1,491 battles
51 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Good luck with that.  7-8 times out of 10 you'll be in a T10 match.. I think she should be fine in a T8 match, in good hands.. is it the best choice?  probably not, unless you start seeing a ton of CV heavy matches and want to set up for AA support play.  All I have right now at that tier is Baltimore and Cleveland so that's what I'll have to try with.  Hope I'm not too much of a burden to my team.... Never played ranked but looking forward to seeing how terrible I really am. 

Edit...          

Edited by RA6E_
Duuuurrr... forgot ranked starts today.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,825 posts
3,974 battles
7 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

7-8 times out of 10 you'll be in a T10 match.

Not in Ranked, they won't. T8 Ranked is Tier 8 only, until it changes to T10 only at Rank 15.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,387 posts
1,491 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Not in Ranked, they won't. T8 Ranked is Tier 8 only, until it changes to T10 only at Rank 15.

True...was thinking poster would be trying out in random..but today ranked starts doesn't it?   

[RKN]
Beta Testers
951 posts
8,771 battles

Baltimore’s isn’t as tuff as you think. Yes, her bow will auto-bounce 15” AP, but there are a lot of excellent 16” platforms out there (Alabama, North Carolina,  and Amagi for instance) that will pen her no matter what. Also, quite a few 155mm cruisers with IFHE that will have no issue penning said 27 mm platting. She’s also at a disadvantage against Atago, Takao, and Prince Eugen with their heal. 

Bottom line, she bash quite a few ships while she’s in the fight, but she’ll be knocked out pretty quick.

Sign in to follow this