Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Little-known facts about WOWS-era warships, etc.

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,480
[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles

At the mouth of the Tames, just a mile offshore, lies a Liberty Ship. The ship is slowly collapsing and it would take only a corroded fuse in the wrong place at the wrong time to cause an explosion. If detonated all at once, the resulting explosion could be the one of the largest non-nuclear blasts in history as there are 1.5 kilotons of live munitions left in the holds of the ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
780
[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

Makes me wonder how much cargo the John Burke was hauling and how it would compare to the Montgomery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,946
[PVE]
Members
8,819 posts
7,254 battles
1 minute ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Huh...after all these years, the war still lives on in a way. Very interesting! 

Germany still finds unexploded bombs when digging for construction and the like.

 

This is from April this year (2018).

https://www.newsweek.com/world-war-two-bomb-found-germany-877575

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
941
[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

Yeah, I guess Malta is also a hotbed of old bombs...I guess we will never find them all. "Call before you dig" I guess! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Alpha Tester
4,641 posts
2,400 battles

Here's another one. Any of you remember the show Deadliest Catch? One of the crab boats on the show, the Wizard, was an American oiler during WWII.

ce8be6bf677d35361c50e9d540b0f750--deadlist-catch-the-wizard.jpg.74e2b2be9b4818c7a9a59f1257afb8a0.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Alpha Tester
4,641 posts
2,400 battles
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Jeez. Remind me to stay out of England for a while.

Been to London before. Greatest city on Earth IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,946
[PVE]
Members
8,819 posts
7,254 battles
4 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Yeah, I guess Malta is also a hotbed of old bombs...I guess we will never find them all. "Call before you dig" I guess! 

I found an article on Malta from 2016 for bombs from WWII being found.

 

https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/national/71287/world_war_ii_bombs_discovered_in_qrendi#.W39An-hKiUk

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
580
[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,397 battles

In Charleston SC cannon balls and munitions have been found during road and utility work. In the 70s my GFs walk route from dorm to class passed over a particular spot twice a day. In the nineties utility workers at that spot dug up a live cannon round from the Civil War. AF EOD recovered it and then detonated it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
321 posts
6,069 battles

There are some islands in the Pacific that were used as ammo dumps during WW II. The islanders around them, are relatively poor, and over the years have resorted to risking life and limb to salvage the metal shell casings.  They had someting on 20/20 or 60 minutes about this a few years ago.  That's one thing you don't hear much talk about cleaning up after themselves, after a war.  I can only imagine, how many ships laden with ordnance are laying about, just waiting for the right or wrong moment to go off. I've heard the ships laying around the Bikini Atoll are all powder kegs.

I did come across this interesting article awhile back, while looking up info on recovered WW II vehicles and weapons.  We were discussing finding old WW II memorabilia in odd places at my local Legion post.

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/cleaning-up-after-wwii/

 

Edited by Valas1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
831 posts
1,260 battles
24 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Here's another one. Any of you remember the show Deadliest Catch? One of the crab boats on the show, the Wizard, was an American oiler during WWII.

I love that show. That makes a lot more sense now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
228
[NGA-B]
Members
1,195 posts
7,604 battles
14 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

lol..... those are small fries....

 

there is a missing nuke somewhere near Savannah

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18587608

Well... If this thing goes off, it's possible that I won't be playing this game any more. LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
158 posts
1,506 battles

The USS West Virginia, BB-48, a Colorado Class Battleship, was struck by 6 torpedoes (some accounts say 7) and 2 aerial-dropped bombs during the attack on Pearl Harbor.  The Captain counter-flooded compartments so she'd sink down in the mud instead of tipping to the side and sinking into the mud that way.

She was raised from the mud on 17 May 1942, and was sent for repair and refit.  She returned to duty in September 1944, and saw extensive action in the Pacific Campaign, including Leyte Gulf.  She was in Tokyo Bay during the formal surrender activities, and was then part of Operation Magic Carpet to bring home sailors and soldiers at the end of WWII.

Her mast sits on the campus of West Virginia University, outside of Oglebay Hall, not too far from the Mountain Lair (student union), along with the bell from the Pennsylvania Class Armored Cruiser, USS West Virginia, ACR-5 (commissioned in 1905, but the bell was struck and dated 1906).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6
[M-O-M]
Members
57 posts
4,556 battles

In Berlin, there are wide areas of open ground that have been that way since the Allies sacked the City with bombs, rockets, and artillery during the Second World War.  The soft soil in the north of the city is dug into very carefully due to the amount of unexploded ordinance still buried there.  In Belgium and France, farmers still stack ordinance they find from both World Wars every spring planting so that they can be removed and disposed of.  Some of the best iron ore from the New World is now deposited in the Old.

NJroc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,559
Members
17,727 posts
5,084 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

At the mouth of the Tames, just a mile offshore, lies a Liberty Ship. The ship is slowly collapsing and it would take only a corroded fuse in the wrong place at the wrong time to cause an explosion. If detonated all at once, the resulting explosion could be the one of the largest non-nuclear blasts in history as there are 1.5 kilotons of live munitions left in the holds of the ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

 

Wouldn't be Halifax Harbour, but bad enough....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Alpha Tester
4,641 posts
2,400 battles
6 hours ago, njroc said:

In Berlin, there are wide areas of open ground that have been that way since the Allies sacked the City with bombs, rockets, and artillery during the Second World War.  The soft soil in the north of the city is dug into very carefully due to the amount of unexploded ordinance still buried there.  In Belgium and France, farmers still stack ordinance they find from both World Wars every spring planting so that they can be removed and disposed of.  Some of the best iron ore from the New World is now deposited in the Old.

NJroc

At the Vimy Memorial in France, there are areas around the monument that are cordoned off by fences with very large, brightly coloured signs that warn of unactivated landmines and unexploded shells. They get sheep to graze those areas and when I was there, I kept expecting one of the sheep to get turned into mutton chops by stepping on one of them. On that same trip, I remember passing by a house of some sort in the French countryside that had a large stack of rusty (and thankfully either empty or deactivated) artillery shells up against the wall alongside the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Alpha Tester
4,641 posts
2,400 battles
6 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Wouldn't be Halifax Harbour, but bad enough....

Thankfully, London's docks on the Thames are in a little ways, most likely out of range of an explosion of even that magnitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Alpha Tester
4,641 posts
2,400 battles
7 hours ago, Valas1 said:

There are some islands in the Pacific that were used as ammo dumps during WW II. The islanders around them, are relatively poor, and over the years have resorted to risking life and limb to salvage the metal shell casings.  They had someting on 20/20 or 60 minutes about this a few years ago.  That's one thing you don't hear much talk about cleaning up after themselves, after a war.  I can only imagine, how many ships laden with ordnance are laying about, just waiting for the right or wrong moment to go off. I've heard the ships laying around the Bikini Atoll are all powder kegs.

I did come across this interesting article awhile back, while looking up info on recovered WW II vehicles and weapons.  We were discussing finding old WW II memorabilia in odd places at my local Legion post.

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/cleaning-up-after-wwii/

 

That's nothing. One of the first H-Bomb tests at the Atoll literally vapourized three small islands within the vicinity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,137
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,306 posts
1 minute ago, 1Sherman said:

That's nothing.

Lemme tell you bout Halifax....     xD

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Alpha Tester
4,641 posts
2,400 battles
Just now, Chobittsu said:

Lemme tell you bout Halifax....     xD

I'm just as aware of that event in history as you are. The largest man-made explosion in history until the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,480
[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles
55 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Lemme tell you bout Halifax....     xD

This is why the warships in WOWS explode when they lightly tap each other.

"she collided at low speed, approximately one knot (1.2 mph or 1.9 km/h), with the unladen Imo,"

Halifax_Explosion_blast_cloud_restored.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×