You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Skyhooker

I cost us the win, but just how dumb was I?

14 comments in this topic

[QNA]
Members
93 posts
4,860 battles

Hey, everyone,

I had a match this morning where I made a mistake that cost us the win.  I'm attaching the replay.  I was in the enemy's base at the end of the match, along with our DD, and capping.  The enemy DD had sunk our CV in our base, and was capping us, but far behind our capping progress.  The remaining enemy ships were heading back to defend their base when I was spotted.  Thinking that I'd be focused any second, and have our cap progress knocked back, I swung out to exit their base and leave our DD to finish up.  We had only about 10 seconds left to complete the cap, but by then there was no way to stop.  I didn't know how much of our cap progress would be reset by my exiting the base, so that was one mistake based on not knowing the game mechanics.  In retrospect (and my team let me know in no uncertain terms), it was a bad move, but I'm wondering just how bad my thinking was on this.  Pretty dumb, I'm thinking.

Fire away!

~Skyhooker

20180823_094832_PGSC106-Nurnberg_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay

• Cool 6

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,340 battles

You should have stayed in the cap.  A DD was detecting you but the rest were a pretty good ways away when you decided to leave.  Even though detected, their shots have to get there and have to actually hit you.  Would have maybe been a little close, but I think you would have pulled it out.

Edited by Deviathan

Members
855 posts
3,476 battles

At least you have learned something and are attempting to learn from your mistakes which will make you a better player..... Everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, learning from them is what people should do but so many refuse to accept there mistakes and try to make excuses, so its nice to see people learning from them.

• Cool 4

[QNA]
Members
93 posts
4,860 battles

Thanks for the replies, guys.  Lesson learned.

~Sky

Members
17,840 posts
5,092 battles

Whether you get hit, or leave the cap voluntarily, your capping points are lost.

Better to stay in and risk losing points, than leaving and guaranteeing it.

If you're the last one in, and just got there, it might be worth it to leave and hunt down a lone defender, especially if there's 3 or more of you, and it means he can't go dark again.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
1,180 posts
12,873 battles
14 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Whether you get hit, or leave the cap voluntarily, your capping points are lost.

Better to stay in and risk losing points, than leaving and guaranteeing it.

If you're the last one in, and just got there, it might be worth it to leave and hunt down a lone defender, especially if there's 3 or more of you, and it means he can't go dark again.

I at least think he tried to consider the odds of getting reset vs capping … so many times I see cruisers and even BBs rushing cap when there's a DD already on it. Sometimes this supports, but mostly it hurts.

When they try to get in on the points for capping or worse poaching at the end, they can get a DD killed by getting reset and extending the time it takes to get it done.

+1 for non-selfish play … apparently he had committed and was on cap for quite a while - it's not really the DDs game after that occurs.

Members
17,840 posts
5,092 battles

A ship in the cap accumulates points. The only way a ship can lose points is to get hit (lose 1/2) or leave the cap. (lose all)

Another friendly ship can't affect your accumulated capture points. It can only help, never hinder.

Now, if you're in for say, 20 seconds, and another ship comes in and stays for 30 seconds, then leaves, yes, you'll lose points, but only the 30 seconds' worth that the other ship accumulated. You would have, by then, 50 seconds worth of points accumulated, which do not go away just because the other ship left or got hit.

The only way an additional friendly ship can hurt your capping attempt is if you're unspotted, and the friendly (who is spotted) gets close enough to you that dispersion causes shells fired at him to hit you.

Edited by Skpstr

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

You were thinking so that puts you miles ahead of a great many players... And it sounds like you're learning so that's always a plus. 

Capping when numbers are about even is a real dice roll anyway... since if not properly executed it can result in cap being overrun or your cap effort simply being squashed. 

Certainly leaving cap when you did was one matter to consider- but the other is whether or not you should have been capping at all. Sounds like it was you and a friendly in their cap, with at least a DD and "other ships" still on red... 

Might have been a gamble either way- and they don't call it gambling because you always win.  

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles

Did you make a mistake?  Yes.  You made it for the right reasons though.  You were trying to make a play to win the game, not be selfish.  You made the wrong call is all.  That's a lost easier to take than a loss where your team-mate DD chases an enemy battleship down to point blank range trying to greed a kill that was never, ever going to happen and dies doing it...while blowing a 30 point lead.

[CK5]
Members
783 posts
6,261 battles

I am not going to add to any comments already posted, but I will give the OP a lot of credit for coming on the forums and asking for advice.  It shows the OP wants to improve his game, which I admire, but it also shows a little courage, which I genuinely respect.  

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,764 posts
12,470 battles

Yes you goofed but learned from it! My motto is when in cap and counting down Damn the torpedoes stay put and pray for the best 

[QNA]
Members
93 posts
4,860 battles

Thanks again, everyone.  I'd never actually known the rules for losing capping progress, only that it happens.  That will be engraved on the wall of my wheelhouse now.

~Sky

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
3 hours ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I am not going to add to any comments already posted, but I will give the OP a lot of credit for coming on the forums and asking for advice.  It shows the OP wants to improve his game, which I admire, but it also shows a little courage, which I genuinely respect.  

This^ 

Some humility goes a long way in these forums. If OP wants help, I agree he's definitely figured out the most direct route. 

Edited by _ENO_

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
3,984 battles
15 hours ago, Skyhooker said:

Pretty dumb, I'm thinking.

Very dumb, but you had the sense to figure that out and the guts to come here for clarification afterwards. +1 to you.

Now if you had been the last one alive, on your last sliver of health, with the clock ticking down and your team ahead on points... yeah, then leaving is better than getting killed.

If it's close on points with lots of you left, but you've got a slim points lead and the alternative is dying, a dodge that takes you out of the cap and keeps you alive is better than dying and putting the enemy ahead with seconds to go.

But if you can take the hit, it's better to stay in the cap. Yes, you lose cap points, but you start to re-accumulate them immediately and anyone else in the cap with you is still accumulating them. By staying in, you keep the points accumulation rate up.