Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JohnPJones

Most decorated/celebrated unrated vessels?

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
2,227 posts
6,722 battles

Anyone know of impressive or particularly heroic engagements by unrated vessels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
355
[HELLS]
Members
1,683 posts
15,128 battles

Barents Sea, December 31st, 1942, HM Ships Onslow, Obdurate, Obedient and Orwell against DKM Lutzow and Hipper and the DKM DDs screening the cruisers. The ''O'' class flotilla was covering a Murmansk-bound convoy when the Germans attempted to attack and destroy both convoy and escorts. The Germans were driven off. Captain Sherbrooke of HMS Onslow, the escort commander, was awarded the Victoria Cross for his part in the action as he remained at his post despite severe wounds received when a salvo from Hipper hit Onslow. He remained at his post in command during the entire action directing his ships until the Germans retired. 4-inch guns against 8 and 11 inchers. HMS Achates, another ship in the escort, was sunk during the action while covering the convoy with a smoke screen. Sherbrooke's VC was one of the most deserved awards of the VC ever given, which he accepted on behalf of all of the ships' companies of the ships involved in the action. David and Goliath...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89
[BLHK]
Members
291 posts
3,274 battles
41 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

 Sherbrooke's VC was one of the most deserved awards of the VC ever given, which he accepted on behalf of all of the ships' companies of the ships involved in the action. David and Goliath...

 

Naval warfare highlights the old saying, it aint the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,037
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,645 posts
9,957 battles

Well, as this is in Tallships and you said 'unrated' I'd guess you're meaning ships smaller than a 6th rate in naval parlance at the time - that is largely Brigs, Sloops etc.

If that's the case then there's one standout among all others for me. HM Brig Speedy of 14 guns vs. El Gamo, a Spanish 32-gun frigate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_6_May_1801

The engagement saw the British Brig under the command of Captain Cochrane capture the Spaniard. The event was the direct inspiration for Patrick O'Brian where he had his hero, Captain Aubrey in command of a similar brig, the Sophie repeat the feat in a semi-fictionalized manner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
300
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
898 posts
6,262 battles

I hope everyone knows of the legendary stand of Taffy 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
293
[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,979 posts
6 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

I hope everyone knows of the legendary stand of Taffy 3.

Considering this is in the Tallships sub forum, it's not a relevant point.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,433
[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles

HMS Terror and HMS Erebus had an unfortunate engagement with the Northwest Passage.

HMSTerrorThrownUpByIce.jpg

Edited by Sventex
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
355
[HELLS]
Members
1,683 posts
15,128 battles
13 hours ago, Sventex said:

HMS Terror and HMS Erebus had an unfortunate engagement with the Northwest Passage.

HMSTerrorThrownUpByIce.jpg

..and my son is a senior tour guide on the first commercial icebreaking cruise ship authorized to visit the wreck sites by the government of Canada...presently off the Greenland coast moving west...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,227 posts
6,722 battles
On 8/23/2018 at 4:58 PM, mofton said:

Well, as this is in Tallships and you said 'unrated' I'd guess you're meaning ships smaller than a 6th rate in naval parlance at the time - that is largely Brigs, Sloops etc.

If that's the case then there's one standout among all others for me. HM Brig Speedy of 14 guns vs. El Gamo, a Spanish 32-gun frigate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_6_May_1801

The engagement saw the British Brig under the command of Captain Cochrane capture the Spaniard. The event was the direct inspiration for Patrick O'Brian where he had his hero, Captain Aubrey in command of a similar brig, the Sophie repeat the feat in a semi-fictionalized manner.

That’s exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,451
Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
509 battles

Not the "most decorated" by any means, but famous in her own right, the US Brig Niagara (Battle of Lake Erie).  One could argue she is still around...sort of...  Some of her original timer was used in the reconstruction of the original vessel though most now consider it to be a replica.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
251
[REVY]
Members
935 posts
7,266 battles
On 8/26/2018 at 10:37 AM, MM2ss said:

Not the "most decorated" by any means, but famous in her own right, the US Brig Niagara (Battle of Lake Erie).  One could argue she is still around...sort of...  Some of her original timer was used in the reconstruction of the original vessel though most now consider it to be a replica.

 

yeah......I'm not sure how to classify her either.

She was already in poor condition when she sank in 1820, and again in the 1830s. Then she was recovered and based on the original keel, reconstructed, though they did not have original plans for the ship. She has been rebuilt multiple times, the last being in 1988. It's that last rebuild that essentially built a new ship, while some of the old wood was used in non-structural places. add in diesel engines, radar, and other modern equipment, its really hard to see her as the original.

 

I believe the problem is the 'well-meaning' people. If they had just recovered the ship, not rebuilt her, and put her in a museum, then yes, that is the original ship. But 'well-meaning' people decided to rebuild her. There was no clear blueprint for how the ship looked when she was first built, so 'well-meaning' people rebuilt her using the best guesses they had for the time. This was likely based off of contemporary paintings or artwork of the time period. So some could even question is the current ship even a correct representation of the original? 

 

To a point, the USS Constitution also suffers from this  from her 1930s rebuild. In the effort to rebuild her to her 1812 prime, they built the sides up higher then they originally were, meaning you have your view of the sea blocked when on deck. The last I had read, the Navy planned to correct this in one of her later refits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
280
[JFSOC]
Members
907 posts
2,568 battles

For the War of 1812, it's probably the ships that took part in the battle for Lake Erie.  It was numerically the largest naval battle of the war.  You might have heard of the American commander, Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lake_Erie

Some of the ships involved have been recreated as replicas

Battle-of-Lake-Erie3.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
287
[DISST]
[DISST]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
960 posts

say... the Hannah  a schooner  put to sea during the siege of Boston which captured a brit supply ship that supplied the Continental Army for several months. 

  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×