You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Copper and Molybdenum are stupid.

44 comments in this topic

[BIAS]
Members
3,033 posts
8,993 battles

So in addition to the currencies of

XP 

Elite XP

Free XP 

Captain XP

Elite Captain XP

Doubloons

Credits

Oil

Steel

Coal

WG wants to give us 2 more currencies: Copper and Molybdenum. I get why they are giving them. THen you can select which special camos you want to get for whatever steel ships you want. My major beef with this is why in the world does there need to be 2 currencies for this???? Molybdenum and Copper will be both used for camos that are for Steel ships. Steel is given out for ranked and Clan Battles. So ships that were originally for ranked only can be purchased with steel earned in CB and the ship that was originally exclusive to CB can be won with steel earned in ranked. So why in the world can they not just give out one currency for the camos?? A person might never play CB but eventually gets enough steel to purchase the Stalingrad, but would be unable to purchase the camo because they never earned molybdenum. Same thing for a player that never plays ranked but uses his steel from CB to purchase Flint and Black, they would never earn the camo tokens for the Flint and Black perma camos.

I understand that perhaps WG wants to value the CB rewards higher than the ranked rewards. But then, why can they not just price the camos for the ships they want to be won in clan battles higher than the ships that are meant to be easily won in ranked??? Or like a lot of things, does this just make too much sense??

The Stalingrad is priced double what the Black is. If WG wants to value the Stalingrad camo double the Black's, then make it worth 6 of the currency and give out double the currency for CB than is given out for ranked. Why does it have to be so complicated???

Combine them together, price it accordingly and stop trying to make everything so convoluted, WG.

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 7
  • Bad 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,033 posts
8,993 battles
3 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Should've been Bauxite and Ammunition.

yeah, their currency name choices were abysmal as well. Copper makes sense, but why Molybdenum?? I know its used in ship building, but it's not something that comes to mind  easily.

Edited by Ducky_shot

[-BRS-]
Members
1,606 posts
13,187 battles
3 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Camo should have been paint,  Just imagine all the gallons you would have to collect:Smile_popcorn:

Sorry ducky i may give them another idea the add more junk to this game

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,033 posts
8,993 battles
1 minute ago, silverdahc said:

Camo should have been paint,  Just imagine all the gallons you would have to collect:Smile_popcorn:

Nope, that makes way too much sense. Would never be implemented

[PVE]
Members
8,837 posts
7,257 battles

I think it was so that those that rank out can get only camo available for Ranking out. So those who makes the top clan league could get camo for only getting to the top CB league.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,178 posts
3,867 battles
4 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

yeah, their currency name choices were abysmal as well. Copper makes sense, but why Molybdenum?? I know its used in ship building, but it's not something that comes to mind  easily.

3 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

Sorry ducky i may give them another idea the add more junk to this game

The joke I was making is that Oil, Ammunition, Steel, and Bauxite are the 4 main resources in Kantai Collection.

[BIAS]
Members
3,033 posts
8,993 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

I think it was so that those that rank out can get only camo available for Ranking out. So those who makes the top clan league could get camo for only getting to the top CB league.

But it's kind of less relevant now that the ships are all lumped into the same reward system. It's not like the next ship they release for steel is going to be designated for ranked or CB.

• Bad 1

Members
759 posts
3,958 battles
9 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Only if they make a Bauxite reward combat mission for IJN destroyers called Akagi Feeding Time

[PVE]
Members
8,837 posts
7,257 battles
7 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The joke I was making is that Oil, Ammunition, Steel, and Bauxite are the 4 main resources in Kantai Collection.

Aiiii, anime talk!

ttb_glowing%20cross.3.jpg

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,582 battles

It's amazing how some things that we take for granted nowadays could determine the outcome of a war in the past. In WWII, the Germans arguably had the best operational jet fighter. However, as good as it was, it had one significant problem -- it's engine was only made of mild steel and thus had only about a ten-hour lifespan. The Germans were lacking in rare elements that produce much more durable steel alloys, such as the element molybdenum.

So much copper was being used for ammunition in WWII that in 1943 the pennies were made of zinc-coated steel. A few 1943 bronze pennies (most "copper" pennies were actually a bronze alloy) were accidentally produced when a bronze coin sheet was accidentally left in the press at the start of the steel penny run. If you can find a legitimate 1943 bronze penny (there are many fakes) it can be worth a hefty sum. Interestingly, from 1944 to 1946 pennies were made of melted-down shell casing brass because there was so much of it available.   

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
8,837 posts
7,257 battles
9 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

But it's kind of less relevant now that the ships are all lumped into the same reward system. It's not like the next ship they release for steel is going to be designated for ranked or CB.

Well, they released all three ships for steel, probably so that those that only play Ranked can get Stalingrad. And those people who only play Clan Battles, can get Flint and Black. Most people who play those, play both I suspect. By making it steel, it also lets those that only get part way in Ranked or Clan Battles to eventually get the ships by collecting a bit of steel at a time. So WG needed something that was unique to Ranked and Clan Battles and two new 'currencies' were born.

• Cool 1

Members
567 posts

Just one more Item WG places value on to add to Containers at some point diluting the market and making the real needed currency that much more of a longer  grind

[PVE]
Members
8,837 posts
7,257 battles
2 minutes ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

Just one more Item WG places value on to add to Containers at some point diluting the market and making the real needed currency that much more of a longer  grind

Why would  copper and molybdenum be added to containers? They are rewards for ranking out or finishing at the top of clan battles. No reason for them to be in containers.

[SIM]
Members
2,432 posts
4,060 battles

I for one welcome our new industrial commodities exchange overlords.  

• Funny 1

[NGA-B]
Members
1,205 posts
7,621 battles

In all seriousness, I kind of agree with Ducky. Those camos look drop dead gorgeous (not to mention the bonuses are very delicious) and had I known copper and Moly would be THIS exclusive, I almost certainly would've played on the test server in order to grab the copper that was offered. As it is, I now have to Rank Out six times and (through the grace of god alone) manage to win ninety battles in Typhoon or above (how the *bleep* am I supposed to be able to do that without getting into one of the exclusive clans?).

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,416 battles

If you don't like the additions Don't Use Them!

• Boring 1

Members
567 posts
8 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Why would  copper and molybdenum be added to containers? They are rewards for ranking out or finishing at the top of clan battles. No reason for them to be in containers.

I agree with your hypothesis however black and flint were behind that very same wall. 

WG has past practice to give my  post some inkling of merit.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,037 posts
12,517 battles

Copper and molybdenum probably exist because people kept talking about how they'd stop at Rank 2 or Rank 10 or whatever when they got exactly the amount of steel they needed for a particular ship. This way, R1 is still "special" in a limited sense.

As for Ranked vs. CB, they have every incentive to want to encourage CB participation. Unique rewards are one of those, even minor and cosmetic ones as in this case.

[PVE]
Members
8,837 posts
7,257 battles
39 minutes ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

I agree with your hypothesis however black and flint were behind that very same wall. 

WG has past practice to give my  post some inkling of merit.

But WG seems to be structuring the steel ships to be easier to get, not easy to get. I suspect copper and molybdenum will remain rewards for the top of Ranked and Clan Battles.

[BIAS]
Members
3,033 posts
8,993 battles
4 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

I don’t get the point of locking the individual camos behind game modes either.

Considering the primary way of obtaining the ships the camos go on are locked behind the same game modes, it makes sense. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,178 posts
3,867 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Aiiii, anime talk!

ttb_glowing%20cross.3.jpg

:Smile_teethhappy:

k-on-points.gif

One of us! One of us! One of us!

• Funny 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,178 posts
3,867 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Copper and molybdenum probably exist because people kept talking about how they'd stop at Rank 2 or Rank 10 or whatever when they got exactly the amount of steel they needed for a particular ship. This way, R1 is still "special" in a limited sense.

As for Ranked vs. CB, they have every incentive to want to encourage CB participation. Unique rewards are one of those, even minor and cosmetic ones as in this case.

Most likely it was added so that you can still earn something even if you don't make it to rank 1, which is a ridiculous and stupid slog that burns out more than its fair share of players across the skill spectrum.

If you get some Moly each rank you gain, than a large amount upon rank 1 to finish off the ship-- well at least you can get some progress on an unlock.

Theoretical numbers: Earn 10 moly each rank from 20-15, then 20 moly per rank 15-10, then 50 moly per rank 10-2. Reach rank 1, 1000 moly. At least you have something to speak for your ranked experience other than disappointment.

Edited by KiyoSenkan