You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

What are the best and most comfortable ships for T8 ranked?

74 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,117 posts
2,507 battles

Bismarck? 

I would also assume that BBs and cruisers are much better at saving their star than a DD if the team is garbage right? 

What's the path of least salt? 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,912 battles

Forget about saving your star; taking that attitude into the battle is the thing which causes more salt in Ranked than anything else (except the inclusion of T10 ships). Play to win and suck up the loss if it doesn't turn out.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

Play your best ship. I am gonna go in Asashio and piss everyone off because "she is useless" but she is my best ship and she makes a great decoy.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,726 posts
7,354 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Forget about saving your star; taking that attitude into the battle is the thing which causes more salt in Ranked than anything else (except the inclusion of T10 ships). Play to win and suck up the loss if it doesn't turn out.

This. I detest BB damage farmers who do just enough damage to save a star, but not enough to actually win. Play to win. Period.

• Cool 7

[FAE]
Members
2,117 posts
2,507 battles

I have certainly no faith that anyone else is going to be capable of winning games if I'm spotting or in any other way relying on team play. 

Also, I cap quite a number of caps in my BBs. 

Also also, there's plenty of vids already on Youtube of very good streamers trying to rank with DDs and finding it a lesson in self-flagellation. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
Just now, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

This. I detest BB damage farmers who do just enough damage to save a star, but not enough to actually win. Play to win. Period.

Here is one thing for BB players to think about, while my Asashio may be weak her Deep Water Torpedoes when they hit will give me more damage than their guns. So my Asashio will keep her star because her damage output most likely will be higher than the Battleship. Watch my Ranked Asashio battles, I may lose a lot but I was on top too and I kept my star.

• Bad 1

[PNP]
Members
391 posts
2,830 battles

I plan to use my Bismarck and Charles Martel. Cleveland I might use as well because its only T8s, but Hipper is a pass for me.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,726 posts
7,354 battles
Just now, BlailBlerg said:

I have certainly no faith that anyone else is going to be capable of winning games if I'm spotting or in any other way relying on team play. 

Also, I cap quite a number of caps in my BBs. 

Also also, there's plenty of vids already on Youtube of very good streamers trying to rank with DDs and finding it a lesson in self-flagellation. 

I play pretty much only DD's in Ranked. If you do it right, meaning if you aren't a charging into the cap kinda player, one does quite well.

Lo Yang and Z23 do really well.

[FAE]
Members
2,117 posts
2,507 battles

I play pretty much only DD's in Ranked. If you do it right, meaning if you aren't a charging into the cap kinda player, one does quite well.

ok. 

What do you think is the key of doing it right? Because I'm not a charger either. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

This is just related to you so don't worry about my post.

My Asashio got through 23 Ranked Battles. She may not have got pass Rank 10 but she was stable and consistent with her Rank.

[SSBN]
Members
291 posts
4,930 battles

Cruisers are best at saving a star due to DPM. Ranked xp is based so much on damage it’s dumb, good dd play is not rewarded whatsoever. 

Like everyone else says just play the ship you are the best in. This gives you and your team the best chance to win.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
1 minute ago, gmrbull said:

Cruisers are best at saving a star due to DPM. Ranked xp is based so much on damage it’s dumb, good dd play is not rewarded whatsoever. 

Like everyone else says just play the ship you are the best in. This gives you and your team the best chance to win.

Any ship that does exceptional will be rewarded. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,726 posts
7,354 battles
1 minute ago, BlailBlerg said:

ok. 

What do you think is the key of doing it right? Because I'm not a charger either. 

Patience, map understanding, and map awareness. Knowing when and where to fire torps, especially with Lo Yang, with the torp speed and reload, you have to make them count.

Like, if I'm in any DD, and I see there are 3 DDs, I assume from the start I'll face 2 of them. Charging the cap is a very bad idea. Take it further, pay attention to what DDs are there, if it's 2 Lo Yangs and an Akizuki(And it frequently is), fighting for caps is going to be hard, so get them spotted and let the team deal the damage to them. Once done, cap, then torment BB's who are now blind.

There's a reason people try and kill DDs very, very quickly.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
1 minute ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Patience, map understanding, and map awareness. Knowing when and where to fire torps, especially with Lo Yang, with the torp speed and reload, you have to make them count.

Like, if I'm in any DD, and I see there are 3 DDs, I assume from the start I'll face 2 of them. Charging the cap is a very bad idea. Take it further, pay attention to what DDs are there, if it's 2 Lo Yangs and an Akizuki(And it frequently is), fighting for caps is going to be hard, so get them spotted and let the team deal the damage to them. Once done, cap, then torment BB's who are now blind.

There's a reason people try and kill DDs very, very quickly.

Given that Asashio is just weak, I prefer to take my time while staying with the fleet to a cap. I will fire once or twice to coarse the enemy into shooting me. Once they do, I will use engine boost and pop smoke in order to give my allies a nice smoke wall for cover. I got 20 seconds to not die, afterwards, I will stay in front of my smoke spotting and attempting to cap. If I see a Battleship, I will launch my torpedoes. If I gotta run, I turn into my smoke.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,105 posts
12,851 battles
21 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Bismarck? 

I would also assume that BBs and cruisers are much better at saving their star than a DD if the team is garbage right? 

What's the path of least salt? 

How do you plan for chaos?

You do the opposite of everyone else - Go DD :)

[-TKS-]
Members
283 posts
5,544 battles

the correct answer is the graf zep in lieu of that the  lexington cant go wrong with cv. 

• Bad 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,693 posts
3,459 battles

Avoid Cruisers, Tier 8 is one of their weakest spots.

Your best bet is to pick a really strong DD, or a BB and play to save a star.

Forget what people tell you here. While ideally you want to play a team game and work together to win, that's not what ranked is about.

Ranked is about 100% pure selfishness, where you're competing against 7 players on the other team and 6 on your own. Failing to recognize these will lead to a lot of frustration.

A big chunk of Captains in ranked play it as Randoms 2.0, and there is no divisioning to save you from them.

Many have never spent the time to understand even the most basic game mechanics, and the other half simply don't care to put forth the effort, or simply don't care about winning.

Yes, Ranked is about winning, but despite that, the "for fun" crowd still flocks to it in droves. Then they expect you to carry them to victory.

Don't be the person that let's those people convince you that Ranked isn't about "saving a star." If it was actually about team work then they would pull their weight. 

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles

I'll let you know when the season is over after I try them all. I still need to get Hsienyang, other wise I have pretty much the full line up for tier 8 except for Roma and CVs.

shot-18_08.23_13_35.03-0128.thumb.jpg.66e66cf71f56b51b87f8a1562770770b.jpg

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
2 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Avoid Cruisers, Tier 8 is one of their weakest spots.

Your best bet is to pick a really strong DD, or a BB and play to save a star.

Forget what people tell you here. While ideally you want to play a team game and work together to win, that's not what ranked is about.

Ranked is about 100% pure selfishness, where you're competing against 7 players on the other team and 6 on your own. Failing to recognize these will lead to a lot of frustration.

A big chunk of Captains in ranked play it as Randoms 2.0, and there is no divisioning to save you from them.

Many have never spent the time to understand even the most basic game mechanics, and the other half simply don't care to put forth the effort, or simply don't care about winning.

Yes, Ranked is about winning, but despite that, the "for fun" crowd still flocks to it in droves. Then they expect you to carry them to victory.

Don't be the person that let's those people convince you that Ranked isn't about "saving a star." If it was actually about team work then they would pull their weight. 

It's still about teamwork, it's just a matter of getting that one team that works. Luck of the draw, it's a lottery.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,693 posts
3,459 battles
11 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

the correct answer is the graf zep in lieu of that the  lexington cant go wrong with cv. 

Do you mean Enterprise? The Lexington is the worst performing ship over the history of WoWs.

[LUCK]
Members
1,275 posts
18,992 battles

Sadly I don't think I will be in any T8 ranked however, I think Baltimore is going to be a very good in Ranked. Radar, Hydro and the ability to bounce 15" shells-- important with Bismarck usually being the most utilized BB- not to mention Richelieu and Tirp. The other BBs they are a problem for any T8 cruisers.

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles
28 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I used Lo Yang to get to Rank 10 last season. IF I play Ranked again this season, I'll probably drive Lo again though I might give Cleveland a go.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,726 posts
7,354 battles
9 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I used Lo Yang to get to Rank 10 last season. IF I play Ranked again this season, I'll probably drive Lo again though I might give Cleveland a go.

Ill probably only get to run 2 T8 rounds, so I'm not concerned about what I use for T8. I should start at 16, and then it's on to the hell that is T10 in ranked.