Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Psycodiver

My thoughts on the Bretagne

4 comments in this topic

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,524 posts
3,515 battles

I bit the bullet and finished the Bretagne last night; 31.25% wr 60k avg damage and 1.69 avg frags lol. What a boring ship with no luck, nothing sticks about her, good range, good gun angles, pretty good AA, slow, okish armor. It lacks any spark like the Kongo is fast, NY has a devastating broadside, Konig is a tank and the Iron Duke has its [edited] HE. I hope the Normadie isn't as boring

Edited by Psycodiver

[TBW]
Members
6,337 posts
11,884 battles
26 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

I hope the Normadie isn't as boring

This kind of says it all.

Bretagne 5 BB france.svg 2 0.00% 42,921 883 2.0 1.0 1.5 50% 24% 0% 984
Normandie 6 BB france.svg 16 56.25% 59,698 1,410 2.2 0.8 0.1 63% 23% 0% 1,094
Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,741 posts
7,373 battles
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

This kind of says it all.

Bretagne 5 BB france.svg 2 0.00% 42,921 883 2.0 1.0 1.5 50% 24% 0% 984
Normandie 6 BB france.svg 16 56.25% 59,698 1,410 2.2 0.8 0.1 63% 23% 0% 1,094

Weird, I have a 62%WR in Normandie, with 63k average damage and 1308 WTR. She's a "cruiser just got DS'd" waiting to happen. I only played Bretagne 1 time, I think, and yeah, she was hella boring.

Members
426 posts
6,213 battles
On 8/23/2018 at 1:50 PM, Psycodiver said:

What a boring ship with no luck, nothing sticks about her, good range, good gun angles, pretty good AA, slow, okish armor.

Very much so; I don't think I've had such ill-luck or had to try hard so badly since the Emerald, nor even after having played up through the German line to the IX FdG.

One of my few good matches with the Bretagne was (low-tiered of course) on the Estuary map during a cyclone - and also one of the rare battles where I survived with it until the end.

This ship, just doesn't want to perform and ending up as low tier three or four out of five battles (if not all five) is just punishing as most everything even at tier outranges and/or outshoots it let alone VIs & VIIs.

I'm lucky to end up with twenty kay worth of damage, and haven't yet managed to pull fifty out of it in a match - comparable to my performance with the tier III ship of this line, and about half what I averaged with the tier IV.

Haven't bothered with the FCS module.

- Dispersion is so bad that even at the base range the ship drops shells all over, to where hitting even a bow on BB at less than 10 kilometers is often a complete miss. Bow-on CAs or DDs at six kms? yeah, sure.

Nor the speed module as even with a signal I'm almost always having to chase to where the shooting is yet once there, welp, the guns can't hit anything.

- This can sometimes happen with the Texas or Arizona, but at least on those ships once something is in range the guns can quite often hit it regardless of dispersion.

Another oddity is that with this ship I rarely start in the middle, instead it usually spawns in either of the outer locations for a given map; usually closest to any red CVs in a match, with no AAA deterrent whatsoever.

This might work if the ship could kite when it's inevitably detected (rather large detection to boot) so early in a match, or lit so long later, if it could take hits or not instantly light on fire with a first salvo, and be able to hit back.

Unintentional paywall?

I'm going to stick with it for twenty-five [Randoms] and then see if I want to skip whatever XP I'm short for the Normandie or not - it's just that underwhelming.

----------

After (25) matches, where I got enough XP for the VI ship only because of the daily mission rewards (running Halloween camo + first win with Equal Speed signal):

- Only twice did I manage to break fifty kay worth of damage dealt, and in maybe one-third of the battles break twenty odd kay of damage inflicted.

- In at least three out of five matches this ship ended up being low tier.

- At least one in five matches were double CV battles.

- Standard battle was usually the better mode for it.

- One of my best matches was because of a cyclone.

My first match with Normandie was a loss, mid-tier versus double carriers cut short by fire and plane torpedoes, yet I managed almost seventy kay damage to end up as one of the last three ships.

Exact same guns just in a different mount, on a faster ship, and with the dispersion module.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People

Sign in to follow this