Sign in to follow this  
4saken404

Laptop dims when game started

8 comments in this topic

Members
12 posts
3,823 battles

So I've been getting a thing recently where my laptop screen will dim substantially when I start the game.

This happens whether I am running full-screen or in a window.  I have confirmed that the brightness slider actually changes when this happens. (When I alt-tab to the game window it will dim, and it will return to normal when I tab elsewhere.)

It has only been happening recently, and not all the time. Sometimes I can reboot my computer and that will fix it. Haven't had any luck in my PC settings and this is NOT a Gamma issue.

Anyone else getting this?

Edited by 4saken404
clarity/ more info

Members
588 posts

When I first got my Alienware in December the TobilbEye tracking or perhaps...something else did this. Took off Tobil after several other Win 10 settings changes and this ended. 

Edited by Toxic_Potato

[PVE]
Members
52 posts
14,861 battles
12 minutes ago, 4saken404 said:

So I've been getting a thing recently where my laptop screen will dim substantially when I start the game. This happens whether I am running full-screen or in a window. I have confirmed that the brightness slider actually changes when this happens. This has only been happening recently, and not all the time. Sometimes I can reboot my computer and that will fix it. Haven't had any luck in my PC settings and this is NOT a Gamma issue.

Anyone else getting this?

Is it happening while plugged in or on battery?  When I’m running on battery my power management settings will change the brightness level when the battery charge is low.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,766 posts
12,470 battles

I use Razer Cortex Game Booster and it has a power management plan on its own and keeps the screen as I have it set with no problem. Its a free Dl program that shuts down everything not needed for these games and frees up ram when you launch the game and returns all to normal when you exit game.

Members
12 posts
3,823 battles

So I've discovered it's now doing it for other games as well. So it's something in my laptop.

But there must be some way that it's detecting that a game is playing. Perhaps some setting somewhere? Hopefully in an editable config file. Also: my other game does not dim near as much.

Members
12 posts
3,823 battles

I've figured out it has something to do with switching windows. As in it tries to dim stuff it thinks is in the background. Sometimes I can "confuse" it into working. So likely not something I can fix in-game as it is not game specific. However it does not do this for other full screen applications.

Yet, anyway. :(   I hope Raven is wrong.

Sign in to follow this