You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Kylere

How to "git gud" in Ranked Battles?

21 comments in this topic

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

Hello All. 

My name is Captain_Kylere and in this game at least, I am a casual gamer and Ranked virgin. My stats are roughly abysmal* but I do understand the mechanics and keep up with the meta. I just do not care enough to worry about them and I like to play aggressively so sometimes I forget to make sure people are behind me when I charge in, add in that sometimes I am traveling OCONUS and cannot play for months and oh boy. 

That said, I am about to inflict myself on people playing in Ranked Battles. I have read the forums and found a few good threads like those below. Before you get stuck with me on your team, is there anything you want to add?

*Fought/Victories/Avg EXP/Average Dam/Death Ratio
2,015 49.38% 1,011 26,640 0.80

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,880 battles

Lessons I took away from my first Ranked season:

Remember that you are a team. Talk to your colleagues in chat as the timer to start ticks down. It is better to have a basic plan that is stuck to, come hell or high water, than no plan at all.

Premium consumables increase your survivability and effectiveness, and can be paid for with silver as well as doubloons. A fairly  hefty silver reserve is essential before starting, unless you have a BIG stock of said premium consumables.

With only seven ships a side, getting enemy ships off the board is important. Don't wait 30 seconds for your battleship colleague to reload if you can do it yourself right now and stop that enemy ship from possibly lighting a lethal fire on somebody.

If there are two of you and one of them, and you can kill the enemy ship by ramming, do it.

• Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

My Asashio did surprisingly well during the last ranked season.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

What do you have and what do you prefer to play at tiers 8 and/or 10?  

My first season I only advanced to rank 18, and I was awful - but it was still good experience.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
2 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

My first season I only advanced to rank 18, and I was awful - but it was still good experience.

I go against the meta and use what my best ship for that tier. That best ship being Asashio and Shimakaze being my only Tier X.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,880 battles
Just now, Lillehuntrix said:

Yeah, this. There are nominal "good ships for ranked" (i.e. what worked last season) and then there is the ship you are best in. They may not be the same. It is better to take the ship you are best in, and if a ship that's not "officially ideal" (according to whoever's viewpoint) is the only eligible ship you have, take it nevertheless and use it with pride.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, this. There are nominal "good ships for ranked" (i.e. what worked last season) and then there is the ship you are best in. They may not be the same. It is better to take the ship you are best in, and if a ship that's not "officially ideal" (according to whoever's viewpoint) is the only eligible ship you have, take it nevertheless and use it with pride.

Back during last season was when Asashio came out. Everyone said she was OP and when she came out, everyone said she sucked. I used her in Ranked to coarse the enemy into shooting at me and revealing their location. I'd say she was worth it. If you have good intel on the enemy, you have a better chance at winning.

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles
3 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

I will be doing Tier 8 in a North Carolina with a 19 point CPT and Tier 10 in a Des Moines as my current plan, I try to keep my ship tiers down to half that of the captain points I have for them but the Des Moines will have a 17 not a 19 pointer.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,144 posts
11,562 battles

1. Play in team, and for the team

2. If you see your team is useless play for the star.

• Bad 1

Beta Testers
563 posts
7,077 battles

1. Find videos that talk about the best ranked ships (based on Tier) .  Dont think I have seen one for the current season but last season should be fine

2. Use premium consumables / flags / camo / etc - every buff helps.  Coming naked to a game will draw the ire of your teammmates

3. Stick together with your team.  Far too many times have I seen players charge off by themselves as if they were playing co-op

4. Talk with your teammates on targets

5. Focus low health targets first

6. Prioritize targets.  Which ship is the best to eliminate to increase your teams chances of winning.

7. Watch the map, keep an eye out for ships that have disappeared and where they may potentially reappear

8. Use mods.  Aslain's has a good package of mods.  I am not saying everything but things that help the most (IMHO) are map, tracer, red-green light backup/forward indicator, directional

• Cool 1

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles
5 minutes ago, Siegewolf said:

1. Find videos that talk about the best ranked ships (based on Tier) .  Dont think I have seen one for the current season but last season should be fine

This one is widely argued on these forums, do you really feel I should I go for the best in class, or the one I am most comfy with?

As a note: I would like to mark all replies as cool, but I have ran out for the day!

Edited by Captain_Kylere

[OO7]
Members
3,311 posts
9,774 battles
Just now, Captain_Kylere said:

This one is widely argued on these forums, do you really feel I should I go for the best in class, or the one I am most comfy with?

At the very least it let's you know how each ship will likely be used and then you can think how you will counter it. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
563 posts
7,077 battles
1 minute ago, Captain_Kylere said:

Well depends I guess, there are clearly winners at each tier.  Each ranked season I have seen ships not recommended play in battles with mixed results.  So personally I would say use the recommended ships.  I know others may say "well I did just fine in ship X" but I would suspect more-often-than-not the ship didnt fair as well as other in Ranked.

[PVE]
Members
532 posts
4,673 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Kylere said:

I will be doing Tier 8 in a North Carolina with a 19 point CPT and Tier 10 in a Des Moines as my current plan, I try to keep my ship tiers down to half that of the captain points I have for them but the Des Moines will have a 17 not a 19 pointer.

NC is a good ship, but last season I found that I couldn't make up for bad teammates well in it so I switched to my Mogami and went straight to rank 10 (I didn't have a T10 yet so I stopped there).

My advice is to be flexible. You might need to fill in for the CL who is farming damage from the back and kill a DD yourself. You might need to tank their damage while your team escapes or flanks. Just talk to your team and work with them.

The only game I lost in my Mogami is one where I had to fill in for our DD who foolishly went off trying to chase kills and got himself annihilated. I torped a BB and a CL and gunned down another CL all while trying to take a cap. Mogami is not good for torp runs but someone had to and I was the only one close to the objective. We lost but I kept my star.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,880 battles
12 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

If you see your team is useless play for the star.

Only when defeat is inevitable.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Kylere said:

You win in your tier 8 BBs, which suggests that even if you aren't doing massive damage, you're doing good damage.  You should always shoot destroyers and radar cruisers first.  Go with your team.  But I'll bet you knew all that.

Once you reach ranks that you can lose, psychology is important.  Set short term and intermediate goals.  My personal rule for ranks 15-11 is to play two and only two games each session - unless I'm top of the team in a loss, in which case I play a third.  This sets a stop loss on how badly a session can go while also ensuring that i enjoy the climb.  Of course, if I were trying to rank out or rush to the top it would be different - but I don't know that those are goals you should have your first time out.

[-K-]
Members
5,477 posts
9,417 battles

Always study the enemy ship team ship composition before the start of a match.  Knowing what you're facing will give you a good idea of how they will deploy and position, and how to effectively counter it.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,240 posts
13,031 battles
18 minutes ago, Captain_Kylere said:

go for the best in class, or the one I am most comfy with?

100% play the ship you know, even if it's not "S-tier" or whatever term a video maker wants to use. Unless your goal is specifically to learn a new ship, in which case play whatever you want to learn.

If this if your first Ranked, you should also know that the matches play very differently at different leagues. In the entry-level leagues (22-16, 15-11), I've been told there's very little teamwork and a TON of variability in whether people know how to play their ships at all. Your best bet for getting through those is to simply have solid core skills like angling, target prioritization, and aim. From 10-6, you'll need to start paying more attention to coordination with your teammates, although they'll still frequently goof up and not be reliable. In 5-2, most people can aim and angle decently, and information starts becoming more valuable -- things like, where might that destroyer be that you haven't seen for the last 5 minutes?

Finally, the most important advice for Ranked is not to play on tilt. Know yourself. If you're on a losing streak (and losing stars hurts), it will start to affect your mental state. It will make you too impatient to wait for the right opportunities, you'll take risks you don't need to take, you'll fixate on targets when you should be switching. Employ a circuit breaker rule, like to automatically stop for the night after three losses in a row.

Edited by Edgecase
  • Cool 3

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Finally, the most important advice for Ranked is not to play on tilt. Know yourself.

This is one of those guru level true statements, even in normal randoms and in life!

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,144 posts
11,562 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Only when defeat is inevitable.

you can see that sometimes in beguin of the battle (yolo dd's, sniping bbs, some "we alread know him" players...)