You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
XLAAD_Jarhead

Is there anything that can be done about all of the profanity in the ingame chat?

34 comments in this topic

[D_DOG]
Members
5 posts
5,495 battles

Have seen too many instances where some child (age not what I'm talking about either) who get upset during a game and start cussing others out in the chat.  Also seen too many instances of individuals carrying on graphic conversations in the in game chat that better belong on an X-rated website.  We do have younger ones on here so this type of language has no place here.  I know I for one have been allowing my younger son to play as this game (a) gets him interested in history, and (b) gives him some idea of what naval combat was like in the time of his great grandfather, and (c) playing these computer games such as this helps him to develop better hand eye coordination.  These, in my opinion, are  good things.  Now after I have been seeing more of this childish vulgarity I am beginning to question allowing him to continue to play.  Now I understand a few occasional hells, damns, and [edited].  Kids nowadays hear more than that everyday.  But I have actually read a conversation during a game where one person was discussing with another having sex with his significant other.  Then you have the rants some players go off on when they get upset.  There should be a way for this type of activity to be specifically reported and some type of action that can be taken for this.  When someone gets upset over something and starts calling another every name under the sun, and describing them as everything bodily orifice (male and female) that is taking things a little too far when younger ones are on the game.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 6
  • Bad 1

[-WPG-]
Members
974 posts
3,904 battles

Don't allow your kids to play online games if it offends you or are protective of your kid's sensibilities. Stick to nintendo games. The median age of players in this game is mid-40s. It exists in the lower levels toxicity compared to many others. I finally let my 12 and 13 year olds play games where they shoot other humans - Fortnite, as opposed to just monsters like in Halo - but it will be a couple more years before I let them play games like Call of Duty where chat is filled by "[censored] you go [censored] your mom".  

Edited by DouglasMacAwful
  • Bad 1

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
784 posts
6,766 battles

Well that's just one of the perks for someone growing up during the Information Age. Censor it, disable it, report it, or just get used it. The reality is that most if not all online multiplayer games nowadays will have some form of toxicity.

Hence one of the reasons I play single-player games as well as multiplayer. It's nice to have some alone time ever now and then where you don't have to deal with toxic idiots or Dunning-Kruger effect practitioners souring your experience. As an added bonus, the only person you can blame for being a potato if things aren't going so well in a single-player game is yourself.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,544 posts
9,589 battles

Tap the enter key as if you want to type a message in chat, hold contro key to enable the mouse, now right below where you type a chat message you will see an X click that and it will block chat for the battle.

Other option is to get screen shots of the chat, send them into Wargaming support moderator team, and they will give out bans to the offending players since Wargaming does not tolerate that kind of chat. Takes a bit more work on your part since you have to create support ticket and put the screen shots in it, but it is a more effects be solution.

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,772 posts
40 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I actually enjoy the manly banter.

Being manly means having a minimal vocabulary? No thanks.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[SIM]
Members
2,680 posts
4,423 battles

I use colorful language in chat, sometimes pointed, sometimes not. I would certainly appreciate a chat censor feature. In fact, I thought that one already existed, and now I feel bad that people haven't been able to opt out of my occasional F-bombs.  

Edited by SkaerKrow

Members
573 posts
1 hour ago, XLAAD_Jarhead said:

Have seen too many instances where some child (age not what I'm talking about either) who get upset during a game and start cussing others out in the chat.  Also seen too many instances of individuals carrying on graphic conversations in the in game chat that better belong on an X-rated website.  We do have younger ones on here so this type of language has no place here.  I know I for one have been allowing my younger son to play as this game (a) gets him interested in history, and (b) gives him some idea of what naval combat was like in the time of his great grandfather, and (c) playing these computer games such as this helps him to develop better hand eye coordination.  These, in my opinion, are  good things.  Now after I have been seeing more of this childish vulgarity I am beginning to question allowing him to continue to play.  Now I understand a few occasional hells, damns, and [edited].  Kids nowadays hear more than that everyday.  But I have actually read a conversation during a game where one person was discussing with another having sex with his significant other.  Then you have the rants some players go off on when they get upset.  There should be a way for this type of activity to be specifically reported and some type of action that can be taken for this.  When someone gets upset over something and starts calling another every name under the sun, and describing them as everything bodily orifice (male and female) that is taking things a little too far when younger ones are on the game.

Good Luck convincing this crowd the language too harsh.

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
667 posts
8,314 battles

You're actually looking at the chat box?  Just ignore it.  Spend some more time watching the mini-map.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
436 posts
5 hours ago, XLAAD_Jarhead said:

I really don't know why some people in the game do that. This isn't a chat room where you can say anything you want. Most of the time though, the in-game chat is used for its intended purpose. 

• Cool 1

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,058 posts
4,743 battles
4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I disagree with that statement, if anything the era of the 50s 60s and even the 70s would make your statement valid. Now ? Niet

i envy anyone that lived in those eras.

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
882 posts
7,417 battles

Ever wonder where the phrase "Cuss like a sailor" came from?

Also, if you think your kid has heard cuss words from here first, you're dead wrong, either he/she has already heard them from you when you cussed out some moronic driver, from class/mates friends in school, on television, or it's already too late from here. Cussing has lost nearly all its impact nowadays, to the point that most people wouldn't bat an eyelash if a kid comes out and starts cussing like some ornery 60-something.

• Bad 1

[PVE]
Members
6,454 posts
11,467 battles

OP I agree there is no need for that stuff at all. Your options are to disable chat, report the player for chat abuse using the in game system, or send a replay or screenshots in to WG. I can swear with the best of them but I do so in appropriate (less offensive LOL) venues and out in public (which this game qualifies as) is not one of them. People have lost all sense of what is right these days. No class, no civility, and no simple common courtesy anymore.

• Cool 5

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
436 posts
5 hours ago, XLAAD_Jarhead said:

Using to much profanity is against the game rules. If you see it being done, report it to WG support. Mae sure to include the replay file. Recently, @turbo07 spoke about using profanity in the game chat. Basically, it is better to not use profanity at all in the game. 

• Cool 2

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
436 posts
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

OP I agree there is no need for that stuff at all. Your options are to disable chat, report the player for chat abuse using the in game system, or send a replay or screenshots in to WG. I can swear with the best of them but I do so in appropriate (less offensive LOL) venues and out in public (which this game qualifies as) is not one of them. People have lost all sense of what is right these days. No class, no civility, and no simple common courtesy anymore.

True, WG support will take care of it. They just need the replay file or at least a screenshot as evidence.

• Cool 1

[TWGGF]
[TWGGF]
Members
116 posts
1,338 battles

There is very nasty to said in chat and ewww in chat. Chat should be used for game, teamwork, let other know what going on in battle, it's not for dirty nasty gross sex thing, it's more than cursing word.

If it's due cursing word due game lost or not going well, no need to put in chat, keep oneself outside of computers screens 

Edited by Humility925
  • Cool 2

[BOTO]
Members
200 posts
7,173 battles
3 hours ago, MasterofGladness said:

Awwa the little snowflake got upset by words that someone typed in the troll box.

Man up snowflake 

Did you even bother completely reading the original post?  He was talking about his young son being exposed to the crap in chat.

• Cool 2