You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tedbearsurvivalist

Military Nicknames

15 comments in this topic

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,601 posts
2,491 battles

I legitimately can’t read this because of the text color. I can only faintly see words but can’t make them out.

Could someone tell me what he typed?

Edited by Submarine_Albacore

[O_O]
Members
4,629 posts
10,034 battles

Nade

Claymore

Thud

Full Auto

Flame Out

Fox 2

Latrine

KP

Flyboy

Dependa(potamus)

Chem Trail

Jet Wash

R&R

Kevlar

5.56 (or 7.62)

[-BRS-]
Members
1,769 posts
14,242 battles

Gedunk-candy

Bug juice-kool aid

Pollywog- Somebody that hasn't been across the Equator

Shellback-  Opposit of pollywog

Members
4,679 posts
6,848 battles

"Roll out!  Drop yer clocks and grab yer socks"

I cleverly disguised what I said....heh heh.

Edited by dmckay

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,772 posts

My friend Geister and his crew named their Leopard in Afghanistan "Cast Iron *****", does that count?

[FOXEH]
Members
3,425 posts
12,837 battles

Some well known battery nomenclature...

BA-1100n - pronounced B.A. eleven hundred November (Balloon)

ID-10t - pronounced ID 10 T (Idiot)

ST-1 - pronounced S.T. one (Stone - as in "get me a box of S.T. Ones)

Edit: Oh yeah, every married servicemember's wife is known by the billet CINCHOUSE (Commander-in-Chief, House)

Edited by Khafni

[PSP]
Members
6,684 posts
9,790 battles

Let's see. Armored personnel carriers were called "tracs" and boots were called "leather personnel carriers" or "LPCs." Jeeps were "Jeeps" and 2.5 ton trucks were "deuce-and-a-halfs." 5 ton trucks were called the big deuce-and-a-halfs or "5-tons." We had gamma goats called that. Helicopters were choppers and a medical evac was a dust off. 

Some of the guys had individual nicknames. We had a "Country" and a "Weasel" and an "Alphabet" because he had a name none of the sergeants or officers could pronounce. We also had a guy who would press your fatigues for you for a buck who we called "The Presser." However, most people were just called by their names and titles. If the person addressing them was of a higher rank they just used their last name alone if nobody had that name or rank and name of they did. If you were of nearly equal rank and you knew the guy you'd just used his first name.  If someone was of a higher rank, of course, you used either their official title or one that they approved of. 

"Smoke" was the senior sergeant in charge of the gun batteries. "Top" was the 1st sergeant, the senior enlisted man in the battery. The XO we called "XO" and the CO we addressed by his full title. The 2nd lieutenants were pretty much ignored by everyone and called "butter bars" behind their backs. The first lieutenants were generally called "LT." Some officers had nicknames. We had a "Major Mac" who liked to be called that, or if you slipped and addressed him as "Sergeant Major Mac" that was OK too as he'd been a sergeant major who had received a direct commission to captain and put in charge of a company in Vietnam. Sergeant majors were almost always addressed by their full title, by privates and generals alike. There are actual ranks in the Army and then ranks of respect. Command sergeant majors are essentially colonels and treated as such. CW5s are magical creatures known only to Legend and in Mythology so I don't know how they would be addressed but "Your wizardness" springs to mind.  

I was never given a nickname as I was a medic and all medics were "doc." From four-star generals to buck privates nobody ever called me anything else if they ever saw any indication I was a medic, like a non-officer carrying a .45 and an aid bag.

Edited by Snargfargle

[13CLM]
Members
228 posts
1,361 battles

FU-BAR - F*cked up beyond all repair

NERTS - Not Repairable This Station

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,859 posts
4,224 battles
2 minutes ago, Markk9 said:

NERTS - Not Repairable This Station

So, would NERAS be like FUBAR in that it would mean Not Repairable Any Station?

[13CLM]
Members
228 posts
1,361 battles

Close, NERTS means it goes to the next higher level for repair. FUBAR is just throw it away, not repairable at all.

[PSP]
Members
6,684 posts
9,790 battles

I don't really like it when infantry, especially special ops infantry, call other soldiers POGs (personnel other than grunts) or REMFs (rear-echelon... you figure it out) as it implies that infantry are the only ones that do anything. Everyone in the military has their part to play and the tip of the iceberg, while it generally gets all the recognition, must be supported by the whole. Of course, line medics are almost never called POGs because even though we aren't infantry we are right there with them. Rear-echelon medics are not usually called REMFs either. Nobody much messes with the medics because when you need us you usually really need us.

[13CLM]
Members
228 posts
1,361 battles

Just remember the USAF has the smartest enlisted force, they send the officers off to die in combat.

• Funny 1