You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Alas poor Black Swan I knew you well...

30 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
6,454 posts
11,467 battles

What a shame WG decided to nerf the swan and take away her AP. Hands down the most fun T1 is now just another bleh boring terrible T1 ship. I just remembered they were doing this in 7.8 so I took it out for a spin. What a disappointment. Such a fun little ship now made boring and bland and awful like the others. Way to go. Another fun ship nerfed into pukedom. :Smile_facepalm:

RIP:

• Konig
  • Alsace
  • Black Swan

:Smile_sad:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,846 posts
4,814 battles

Should have just given back AP to the other tier 1 ships imho. Now the Royal Navy have this weird situation where an HE only cruiser leads to an AP only CL line. Further proof if any were needed that WG doesn't know what to do with British ships.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,639 battles

I took here out for a few co-ops and she is alright but is basically a faster firing but weaker hitting clone of the other T1's. :Smile_sad:

[LEGIO]
Members
3,106 posts
5,746 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

What a shame WG decided to nerf the swan and take away her AP. Hands down the most fun T1 is now just another bleh boring terrible T1 ship. I just remembered they were doing this in 7.8 so I took it out for a spin. What a disappointment. Such a fun little ship now made boring and bland and awful like the others. Way to go. Another fun ship nerfed into pukedom. :Smile_facepalm:

RIP:

• Konig
  • Alsace
  • Black Swan

Don't forget Orion.

[TOAST]
Members
850 posts
7,679 battles
2 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Don't forget Orion.

Orion is fine. A .2 sigma nerf on a ship that has more or less Montana HE in tier 4... come on now. You just have to get a little closer. :Smile_teethhappy: People seal club in tier 1 with the black swan enough that it was noticed by WG...surprised?:Smile-_tongue:

[LEGIO]
Members
3,106 posts
5,746 battles
Just now, Vekta408 said:

Orion is fine. A .2 sigma nerf on a ship that has more or less Montana HE in tier 4... come on now. You just have to get a little closer. :Smile_teethhappy: People seal club in tier 1 with the black swan enough that it was noticed by WG...surprised?:Smile-_tongue:

I guess. Though I'm one of those people stubborn enough to use AP a significant portion of the time even while using an Orion.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,249 posts
4,942 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

RIP:

• Konig
  • Alsace
  • Black Swan

How right you are! Swan has been my "penance" ship for those moments when you have a couple pink games to blow off after a mid game crash or an inconvenient phonecall and yes, those torps your team mates magically sail into... RIP Swan I loved you well! :Smile_sad:

[SDIWO]
Members
1,080 posts
5,734 battles

Why are people who already got past her already playing her other than to club for clubbing purpose? Bad form.

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

Just got done playing her with the expert  guys in Random.  I can't say they hurt the Swan much with the nerf.  Now you still get cits plus you set fires.  LOL!

I played three games and our team won 2 out of 3.  My best game was 2 kills and 11,069 damage and a dev strike.  My worst was 0 kills and 990 damage but that's because I was out of position for most of the match.  

All in all I'd say she's still a fun boat to play.

• Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,880 battles
2 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Just got done playing her with the expert  guys in Random.  I can't say they hurt the Swan much with the nerf.  Now you still get cits plus you set fires.  LOL!

I played three games and our team won 2 out of 3.  My best game was 2 kills and 11,069 damage and a dev strike.  My worst was 0 kills and 990 damage but that's because I was out of position for most of the match.  

All in all I'd say she's still a fun boat to play.

Yeah, I think they've actually inadvertently buffed her. Put on the fire flags, take AR, Demolition Expert, BFT and AFT and unleash hell.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,454 posts
11,467 battles
10 hours ago, LubzinNJ said:

Why are people who already got past her already playing her other than to club for clubbing purpose? Bad form.

I don't play Swan hardly at all these days. If I want an AP slinging BRN CL beast I have Fiji and Minotaur. However, I wanted to see what the nerf did to it (killed it)? Plus, if I make a mistake and end up pink Swan is my go to ship to work it off. It made working off your punishment better because the ship was so fun. The Swan is now a poor shadow of it's former self.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
Members
6,454 posts
11,467 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, I think they've actually inadvertently buffed her. Put on the fire flags, take AR, Demolition Expert, BFT and AFT and unleash hell.

What made Swan so unique and awesome was that it had AP only and that AP was really good. It also started you off right at the outset learning how to play BRN CL's that are AP only. WG and many players have an unhealthy fascination with fire (HE). This has ruined the ship for those who appreciated it for what it used to be. If I wantd to do what you say to do with Swan there was always Erie or one of the others. They have ruined the ship.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,880 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

What made Swan so unique and awesome was that it had AP only and that AP was really good. It also started you off right at the outset learning how to play BRN CL's that are AP only.

While I see your point, I think we must agree to differ. Swan is a cruiser in name only, and the real cruiser grind begins at the Weymouth. Maybe I'm just sugarcoating it for myself and I accept that, but what I have now is a ship whose bounce and shatter shots now have a chance of starting fires instead of being completely wasted, and whose solid hits in the right place can still get citadels (and potentially cause detonations).

For practical purposes, I think we potentially have a better ship.

Do I mourn the passing of the old Swan's character? Of course I do. But a warship is a warship, efficiency is everything, and if you gave Admiral Cunningham a Type 45 air defence ship or an Aegis cruiser to help protect the Mediterranean convoys, do you think he'd refuse it?

I'm going to make lemonade with the lemons WG threw us, and I think it's going to taste pretty good.

[VOP]
Members
286 posts
7,219 battles
10 hours ago, LubzinNJ said:

Some people like to go retro and just zoom around blasting things.  It can be a refreshing break from higher tier stupidity.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,080 posts
5,734 battles
1 hour ago, Airjellyfish said:

Some people like to go retro and just zoom around blasting things.  It can be a refreshing break from higher tier stupidity.

Ok, but doing it at a level where people are just getting into the game and are probably playing their first game seems wrong to me. Just my opinion.

Members
1,139 posts
6,417 battles
12 hours ago, LubzinNJ said:

Let's not be pretentious. The object of this game is to seal club the hell out of someone, regardless of the tier one plays.

Members
2,360 posts
1,065 battles
12 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

Ok, but doing it at a level where people are just getting into the game and are probably playing their first game seems wrong to me. Just my opinion.

Thunder plays in coop, so do I.  If you are doing random, you graduate to tier II before you get out of protected mode (you don't see the good players in protected mod).

If you stick around in tier I, there are a bunch of dedicated players that like the simple gun battle mode.

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,169 battles

@AdmiralThunder I love the Shakespeare reference, but shouldn't you have saved this one until the Yorck got nerfed?

Yorick would approve :)

Edited by nagasakee

[PVE]
Members
109 posts
10,702 battles

I enjoyed slinging shells with the Pro's in T-1, a re-freshing break from high tier gimmicks and poor players.

[PVE]
Members
6,454 posts
11,467 battles
16 minutes ago, nagasakee said:

@AdmiralThunder I love the Shakespeare reference, but shouldn't you have saved this one until the Yorck got nerfed?

Yorick would approve :)

I wondered if someone would point that out...:Smile_facepalm::Smile_teethhappy:

[PVE]
Members
6,454 posts
11,467 battles
19 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Thunder plays in coop, so do I.  If you are doing random, you graduate to tier II before you get out of protected mode (you don't see the good players in protected mod).

If you stick around in tier I, there are a bunch of dedicated players that like the simple gun battle mode.

The players are in protected MM until either level 10 or 11 of their service record so up around T3/T4 most likely.

• Cool 1

Members
2,360 posts
1,065 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

The players are in protected MM until either level 10 or 11 of their service record so up around T3/T4 most likely.

Thanks for the better explanation (I didn't want to do the math).