You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
teleStraightShooter

Harugumo/ Kitakaze observations

104 comments in this topic

Members
74 posts
10,655 battles

What are your observations about the performance of the new IJN DDs Harugumo & Kitakaze?

The dakkaDakkaDakka on the Harugumo is wicked. With a reload nearing 2 seconds I racked up ~40k in gun/fire damage in under 2 mins on a charging Alsace BB, then sunk it w/ 2 torps; damage scoreboard suprisingly went from 29k to 100k - just like that.

I have noticed captial ships like Stalingrad facing me bow on beyond 12km default range, then creeping up for its 11.7km radar. I am going to try the range upgrade & perhaps AFT. I read on these forums that past 13-15km(?) the 100mm ap speeds up due to gravity assist & pens upto 75mm.

Problem is hitting @ past 15km, but at a +45% drop it might be able to arch over less than towering mountains.

For max damage I recommend IFHE/ DE/ BFT/ AR

Edited by teleStraightShooter

[TNG]
[TNG]
Members
361 posts
9,354 battles

Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty good. Gotta manage to survive that radar. They are tankier then you think. I was in my DM earlier trying to kill one and its health bar wasn't going down very fast at all compared to the other dd's out there. If they get away and likely they will, pucker that butthole. Kitakaze is sluggish and slow but if you can work it right the results are devastating.

See screenshots for evidence of what happens when you dont kill it immediately. The reds almost had me at the beginning with half their team shooting me via radar. I got away low health and proceeded to drop torpedo's in their push force and the rest is history.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

• Cool 1

[RED2]
Members
131 posts
6,901 battles

The best description of Kitakaze is a Akizuki that can scout. Which is absolutely amazing. Fully upgraded the handling is not bad at all, and having those guns to back up is downright almost op.

• Cool 1

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
57 posts
4,934 battles

Has anyone run Steering Gears 3 rather than Concealment?  Wondering if the improved handling is worth giving up ~.7km detection

talking Kit, specifically, but on either I suppose

[CVA16]
Members
2,437 posts
10,080 battles
4 hours ago, MackDye said:

I was in my DM earlier trying to kill one and its health bar wasn't going down very fast at all compared to the other dd's out there.

Damage saturation? Perpetually hitting AA mounts?

[TOG]
Members
2,772 posts
15,761 battles
6 hours ago, teleStraightShooter said:

What are your observations about the performance of the new IJN DDs Harugumo & Kitakaze?

I think of it more of CL than a DD. You have a max HP of 29100 with SE. If you want to kill ships lurking in smoke use the F3 torp. I don't recommend capping at the start with this dd. The Haragumo will wreck a dd. Great potential in T10 ranked.

[TOG]
Members
2,772 posts
15,761 battles

Gearing  would be a better all around ship since the maneuverability is better. The Haragumo beats the Gearing in dakka and HP. Detection is the same unless you have the legendary mod.

• Bad 1

Beta Testers
1,861 posts
10,762 battles
1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Gearing  would be a better all around ship since the maneuverability is better. The Haragumo beats the Gearing in dakka and HP. Detection is the same unless you have the legendary mod.

Harugumo maxes out at 6.22km concealment. Gearing maxes out at 5.94

• Cool 1

Members
74 posts
10,655 battles
18 hours ago, Croda said:

Has anyone run Steering Gears 3 rather than Concealment?  Wondering if the improved handling is worth giving up ~.7km detection

talking Kit, specifically, but on either I suppose

I started out w/ 40% reduction in rudder shift, then shifted for & stuck w/ 10% concealment.

I think the turning radius of 730m is too high; so for my style of play 6.8km concealment is worth more; I just use 20% rudder shift

Edited by teleStraightShooter

Members
74 posts
10,655 battles

I maxed out the range to 17.5 & the arcs loop over all mountains except the tallest.

A Yammy was parked nose onto a CLIFF outside C cap in Hotspot map. From 17km I was able to shoot over a mtn, C cap, Another mtn, use a 70% drop angle, & hit the Yammy.

Past 15k its hard to hit targets moving faster than backup speed, but works great vs BB tanking.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,958 posts
4,990 battles
On 8/23/2018 at 4:20 PM, BlailBlerg said:

so far for these boats, which capt builds?

only have a 14 pt captain currently, but have PM, LS, SE and CE as you'd expect, plus IFHE.

Planning to add DE and AR.

Edited by Thornir
What kind of Moron Downvotes a standard small caliber gunboat build?
  • Bad 1

Members
74 posts
10,655 battles
17 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

so far for these boats, which capt builds?

Screenshot_20180824-103844.thumb.png.391a3cd0b66fe350dc1d5e18af6e760b.png

I switch out PM/ DE for CE or AFT, giving me 3 commanders for both boats.

Only takes 200,000 credits & 125,000 commander points to retrain for other boat.

Members
1,860 posts
10,311 battles
49 minutes ago, motaz87 said:

nerfs incoming, these ships are game breakingly stupid op.

They are not.

Both have very real limitations on their mobility.  If people can see them the can hit them hard.  They are also extremely vulnerable to torps.

These ship are absolute glass cannons.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[NET]
Beta Testers
461 posts
3,955 battles

ya i see your point, but in the right situations they are infuriating to face. i was in my yamato at almost full health, he was behind an island, i couldnt break away from him fast enough, nothing i could do but watch my health go down till i was dead, happened very fast.  i still think they will get the nerf bat sooner than later.

• Cool 1

Members
1,860 posts
10,311 battles
6 hours ago, motaz87 said:

ya i see your point, but in the right situations they are infuriating to face. i was in my yamato at almost full health, he was behind an island, i couldnt break away from him fast enough, nothing i could do but watch my health go down till i was dead, happened very fast.  i still think they will get the nerf bat sooner than later.

Funny you mention the one ship that can over match just about anything.

Some ships are just like that with their firepower.  They usually are offset by being clunky in the handling department.

Time will tell.  I think they are pretty decently balanced, esp if Daring has as much DPM as it appears she will.

• Bad 1

Members
240 posts
12,792 battles
On 8/24/2018 at 12:16 AM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I'll just drop this here:

I included my build in the comments for the video.  I might be the only guy not running IFHE on her.

This Destroyer is so Overpowered it's sick.

Khabarovsk guns, Shimakaze torpedoes,  highest HP for DD in Tier X.

Definitely needs a nerf, just like Khabarovsk did.

It's just needs Radar to be completely retarded ...

Edited by BigJohnsonLogan
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
1,860 posts
10,311 battles
11 hours ago, BigJohnsonLogan said:

This Destroyer is so Overpowered it's sick.

Khabarovsk guns, Shimakaze torpedoes,  highest HP for DD in Tier X.

Definitely needs a nerf, just like Khabarovsk did.

It's just needs Radar to be completely retarded ...

Again, we are in the adjustment stage for a new T10.

T10s always have crazy strong points but one weakness.  Conq HE/stealth and Heal in exchange for being easily HE spammed.  Yamato [edited] pen/armor/dispersion in exchange for clunky handling (much like Haru for example).  Mino [edited] AP pen, heal, concealment/radar option in exchange for being made of cits.  Khaba firepower/speed/armor in exchange for concealment and poor handling.  To note with Khaba the range nerf is largely due to players not being able to hit her at 14km due to her speed.  Harugumo does not have this issue.  I could go on but I think I made my point. 

Harugumo is fine.  People need to learn to respect hr fire power as they do with every T10 ship in the game.  Stop calling for nerfs just because you need to adapt.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 4

[-DZ-]
Members
448 posts
23,228 battles

i went with a certain build that focuses on the he pen, and dakka dakka, as well as survivalibility and concealment....  so i went with main battery and other modal's survivalibility (PM), LS, AR, BFT, SE, CE, and IFHE..... (this is my 19 point capt, where ill use rpf in place of ifhe for competitive play, once i get a 2nd 19 point capt for harugumo )

she is a beast...

ill also use main battery mod 1, engine boost mod 3 , aiming systems mod 1, propulsion mod 2, concealment mod 1, and main battery mod 3.....ill try out the rudder shift one, tho, in place of the propulsion mod 2....

i went with stock torps cuz i can outrage radar , and provides with the dmg i wanted......

Beta Testers
1,861 posts
10,762 battles

I think I torped maybe a dozen of the 2 new DDs. They are hopeless again torps.