You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hogdriver1

Karma/Complaint

45 comments in this topic

[TSG4C]
[TSG4C]
Members
19 posts
9,806 battles

When I get a complement I can usually tell why, but when somebody dings me for something - I usually have no idea. Sometimes its an obvious bonehead mistake, but generally no clue. Can there be a way to receive more meaningful feedback? 

• Bad 1

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles

It's usually pretty simple to figure out. It's  usually because you killed an enemy or didn't do what a team mate thought you should do. 

Or you are playing a CV, friendly or enemy

Or you are too far in the back

Or you were too far in the front

Or someone doesn't like one of your clan mates.

Or you talked in chat.

Or you were too low on the leaderboard

Or you secured a kill

Or you didn't secure a kill and an enemy escaped.

Told you it was pretty easy.

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 8

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
362 posts
3,804 battles
1 minute ago, Hogdriver1 said:

When I get a complement I can usually tell why, but when somebody dings me for something - I usually have no idea. Sometimes its an obvious bonehead mistake, but generally no clue. Can there be a way to receive more meaningful feedback? 

Where you using a salt shaker in chat?

Playing a CV?

[TSG4C]
[TSG4C]
Members
19 posts
9,806 battles

I am generally pretty mild in chat - my fingers aren't deft enough to play and type at the same time. I just recently got a cv, and only do that in co-op because I think I suck at it.

[TSG4C]
[TSG4C]
Members
19 posts
9,806 battles

@Ducky_shot Like I said, just wondering if there could be more meaningful feedback. Sometimes it would be nice to learn something rather than get an anonymous middle finger.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

Just ask if it is in game. If it is after, just leave it. When I give compliments, I tell players I do. When I give reports, I will most of the time tell them that I am doing that. That is how I get compliments along with people enjoying my Ryujo support.

Members
140 posts
13,125 battles
11 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Or you talked in chat.

Or you *didn't* talk in chat, at all, because you had it turned off. I've been dinged for that.

I have very little karma (~300) for the number of battles I've done (~12,000) so it stings a bit when I lose points, and even more when I can't figure out why.

Edited by Ziggy_Sprague

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles
5 minutes ago, Hogdriver1 said:

@Ducky_shot Like I said, just wondering if there could be more meaningful feedback. Sometimes it would be nice to learn something rather than get an anonymous middle finger.

yeah, that was all sarcasm. But considering the very many possibilities, they would have to leave a text box for that and do you really want to see whatever expletives someone writes to you?

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles
4 minutes ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

Or you *didn't* talk in chat, at all, because you had it turned off. I've been dinged for that.

I have very little karma (~300) for the number of battles I've done (~12,000) so it stings a bit when I lose points, and even more when I can't figure out why.

that's excessively high compared to most of the player base

Members
140 posts
13,125 battles
13 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

that's excessively high compared to most of the player base

You think so? It's just 2.5%, which is only once per forty matches.

Karma is a measure of good play -- waaay much more so than the mis-labeled "win rate," which is just a luck indicator and nothing more -- and I've always felt like I should be playing much better than that. I try to, at least.

I'm handing out as much good karma I can, and wish I had more to give. Currently capped at 11 per day.

Edited by Ziggy_Sprague

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles
31 minutes ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

Karma is a measure of good play -- waaay much more so than the mis-labeled "win rate," which is just a luck indicator and nothing more -- and I've always felt like I should be playing much better than that. I try to, at least.

I'm handing out as much good karma I can, and wish I had more to give. Currently capped at 11 per day.

31 minutes ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

So win rate is all luck? Is it luck if the teams were 1v1?

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,311 posts
25,963 battles

I'm a co-op main.  So if I get negged, its usually because one or more of the following.

1.  I'm in a CV.

2.  Someone runs into me.

3.  I sink a ship that someone thinks belongs to them.

Members
663 posts
7,284 battles
43 minutes ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

Holy C dude. 5000 games in a Clemson. Some may say thats Seal Clubbing.

Not me. Seals need to learn the hash realities of life.

Win rate is random? You have a 63% WR in the Clemson. You've played the random out of it with 5000 games. 63% is skill.

I like to play the same space as you with the Mine/Kami-kaze.

Despite being up Tiered into Radar land and CV's doing a Jehad on my as... er, ship, I have 64% WR in them.

Your WR is a reflection of your experience in that ship.

BTW, I'll gunfight Clemson's all day long, but be careful, I cheat and uses torpedos to. See you out there.:Smile_playing:

Edited by Capt_Mexib

Members
140 posts
13,125 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

So win rate is all luck? 

Win rate is actually "team win rate," and it's strictly the luck-of-the-draw as to whether MM assigns me to a winning team or a losing team.

If I'm on a team with other players that have some basic competence and experience, then I can do enough in that match to help achieve victory.

If I'm on a team of mostly very poor players or suicidal YOLOs, then there's nothing I can do by myself that's going to stop the Red steamroller.

Team win rate is no measure of player skill. How good I am in any match is reflected first and foremost by leaderboard position, whether the battle is won or lost.

Karma -- positive or negative -- supplements that measure to a degree.

These are *my* standards, not WG's. I play by my standards, not theirs.

WG shows me my leaderboard position but this data sadly is not tracked. If it was, it would be a most helpful metric for determining how good or bad a player actually is.

I screen-shot most of my leaderboards so maybe I can measure this myself someday. For now, I only "win" a match when I'm first on the leaderboard. And I'm satisfied with my performance if I'm in the top three (team victory or team defeat). 

Leaderboard position is *everything.* Team win rate is meaningless to me as I have very little individual control over that. If I was good at this game then I could stop and reverse a steamroll, but I can't because I'm really not that good.

What I am is somewhat competent maybe half the time. The rest is up to whoever MM puts on my side. Some are better than me and some are worse. Until MM factors in skill, then it's purely luck as to whether or not I get a good team.

Edited by Ziggy_Sprague
  • Cool 3

[CUTIE]
Members
1,434 posts
6,146 battles
3 hours ago, Hogdriver1 said:

Welcome to World of Warships' Karma system: where the rules are made up and the points don't matter!

• Funny 1

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles
10 minutes ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

Win rate is actually "team win rate," and it's strictly the luck-of-the-draw as to whether MM assigns me to a winning team or a losing team.

If I'm on a team with other players that have some basic competence and experience, then I can do enough in that match to help achieve victory.

If I'm on a team of mostly very poor players or suicidal YOLOs, then there's nothing I can do by myself that's going to stop the Red steamroller.

Team win rate is no measure of player skill. How good I am in any match is reflected first and foremost by leaderboard position, whether the battle is won or lost.

Karma -- positive or negative -- supplements that measure to a degree.

These are *my* standards, not WG's. I play by my standards, not theirs.

WG shows me my leaderboard position but this data sadly is not tracked. If it was, it would be a most helpful metric for determining how good or bad a player actually is.

I screen-shot most of my leaderboards so maybe I can measure this myself someday. For now, I only "win" a match when I'm first on the leaderboard. And I'm satisfied with my performance if I'm in the top three (team victory or team defeat). 

Leaderboard position is *everything.* Team win rate is meaningless to me as I have very little individual control over that. If I was good at this game then I could stop and reverse a steamroll, but I can't because I'm really not that good.

What I am is somewhat competent maybe half the time. The rest is up to whoever MM puts on my side. Some are better than me and some are worse. Until MM factors in skill, then it's purely luck as to whether or not I get a good team.

Answer my second question, please. 

Members
140 posts
13,125 battles
22 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Answer my second question, please. 

3 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Is it luck if the teams were 1v1?

1 v 1 is *not* team play, sir.

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles
6 minutes ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

1 v 1 is *not* team play, sir.

Nice sidestep. You obviously don't want to admit that if a player can influence their win rate in a 1v1, then they can obviously influence it, albeit to a lesser degree in a 2v2 game and so on all the way to 12v12, to a lesser degree with each additional team mate, but they still have the ability to influence it. I suggest you take your Clemson and sit in the spawn doing nothing for 100 games and see what your win rate looks like after those 100 games. It's just luck of the draw for your other 11 team mates, they obviously will be able to maintain your 60%+ win rate if your skill doesn't matter in regards to your win rate? You obviously can't do anything to help your team win, right?

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1

Members
572 posts

More meaningful?

Karma has no value.

Why should WG try to explain the mindset of random Sphincters?

Wg should just totally remove the Karma System,It has no value.

Members
1,172 posts
3,153 battles

I clutched a 1v3 situation in Akizuki. I killed two people and secured two points and gifted the game to my team. Didn't say a single word in chat, didn't do anything "dirty", just outplayed them and won fair and square. Karma went down by 3.

tenor.gif.6f0ca4a627af120a0df36d5423f30808.gif

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,311 posts
25,963 battles
13 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I clutched a 1v3 situation in Akizuki. I killed two people and secured two points and gifted the game to my team. Didn't say a single word in chat, didn't do anything "dirty", just outplayed them and won fair and square. Karma went down by 3.

tenor.gif.6f0ca4a627af120a0df36d5423f30808.gif

If it was a Random battle, your negs probably came from the opposing team.

Members
1,172 posts
3,153 battles
1 minute ago, Patton5150 said:

If it was a Random battle, your negs probably came from the opposing team.

Yes. Obviously instead of complementing the good player who was able to outplay your team, you should report them for causing your loss.

This is pretty much the mentality of this playerbase in a nutshell. 

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,121 posts
13,380 battles

Enjoy the compliments you earned them Ignore the reports because they are usually made because someone just wanted to report anything just because they can. Don't count on more feedback since no name and shame is enforce and knowing who reported who for what would flood the forum with name shaming! 

• Cool 1