Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Skyfaller

Fire Chance // Shatters

6 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,439 posts

Quick question about fire chance / setting ships on fire. 

Been noticing that ships catch on fire even if your shells shatter. Why is this? The fire chance formula on the WOWs wiki page does not contain information nor mention shatters. 

So can anyone confirm shattered shells can still trigger a fire?

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles
28 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

that's messed up. hmmm. thanks

One of the many unrealistic things to turn real life into an arcade game. 

Beta Testers
1,439 posts

Yeah. I'm looking at my akizuki->haragumo capt skill build and really it does seem the route to is the 'soviet' route.

aka, game the game and exploit the snot out of every poorly designed game mechanic.

19 pnt capt with:

-Preventative Maintenance

- Adrenaline Rush, Last Stand

- Torpedo Expertise, Demolition Expert

- Adv Fire Training, Concealment Expert

You get, with dual +fire chance signals, 8% fire chance with max gun range, decent torpedo reload and 3 torp booster uses with booster II installed.

No IFHE .. means damage output of HE rounds alone is going to drop and it will have issues hitting other destroyers....

...but let's be realistic here. Nothing is more devastating to a DD than fires, especially once your repair is out. Engaging another DD is usually about gaining separation or running it down... neither of which this IJN line can do well since its the slowest DD. Using AP vs DDs would be the norm after setting the fires on them. Vs cruisers and BBs ... if the shattered shells still have fire chance that means one should be able to triple fire up any ship very quickly with spammed 8% fire chance rounds.

The only thing one realistically gives up with no IFHE in this case is hitting soviet bias ships with cruiser-like armor and 1980s+ engine performance specs... but then again, even with IFHE all a soviet DD has to do is hit the repair and you already lose any gun battle you have with them.

So its trading IFHE for better torp reload and 1% better fire chance.

Good thing I have a spare IJN 19pnt capt ... will try both and see ..once I get to Haragumo :)

• Bad 1

[-K-]
Supertester
5,194 posts
9,050 battles
1 minute ago, Skyfaller said:

Yeah. I'm looking at my akizuki->haragumo capt skill build and really it does seem the route to is the 'soviet' route.

aka, game the game and exploit the snot out of every poorly designed game mechanic.

19 pnt capt with:

-Preventative Maintenance

- Adrenaline Rush, Last Stand

- Torpedo Expertise, Demolition Expert

- Adv Fire Training, Concealment Expert

You get, with dual +fire chance signals, 8% fire chance with max gun range, decent torpedo reload and 3 torp booster uses with booster II installed.

No IFHE .. means damage output of HE rounds alone is going to drop and it will have issues hitting other destroyers....

...but let's be realistic here. Nothing is more devastating to a DD than fires, especially once your repair is out. Engaging another DD is usually about gaining separation or running it down... neither of which this IJN line can do well since its the slowest DD. Using AP vs DDs would be the norm after setting the fires on them. Vs cruisers and BBs ... if the shattered shells still have fire chance that means one should be able to triple fire up any ship very quickly with spammed 8% fire chance rounds.

The only thing one realistically gives up with no IFHE in this case is hitting soviet bias ships with cruiser-like armor and 1980s+ engine performance specs... but then again, even with IFHE all a soviet DD has to do is hit the repair and you already lose any gun battle you have with them.

So its trading IFHE for better torp reload and 1% better fire chance.

Good thing I have a spare IJN 19pnt capt ... will try both and see ..once I get to Haragumo :)

You don't need IFHE to hurt other DDs with the 1/4pen buff. You can pen 24mm stock, and the only DD that can shatter your shells is the Khab. The only reason to take IFHE on these is to pen cruisers and battleships covered in 32mm armor. 

And fires aren't a danger to DDs. Fires are the most inconsequential damage to a DD because it's percentage based and DDs have the fastest DCP cooldown. The biggest danger fires pose to DDs is the increase in surface detection. 

AP isn't the norm in DD v DD fights unless you're a KM DD or the opposing DD is showing broadside. Unless you're a BB, you generally shouldn't be shooting AP at an angled DD. 

TAE is a waste on the Aki/Kit/Haru. 

Sign in to follow this