You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Wrecking Ball Wednesdays - Fire Discipline

15 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
948 posts
6,320 battles

SS Wisconsin (BB-64) Firing a broadside to port with her 16/50 and 5/38 guns, circa 1988-91. Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the collections of the Naval Historical Center.

*pictured - USS Wisconsin (BB-64) firing on shore targets in the Arabian Sea during Operation Desert Storm, date is classified*

Do you rain down gunfire on your target or do you wait for the right moment to strike?

There are two disciplines when it comes to naval gunfire.

The first is to open fire once you catch sight of the enemy vessel and keep pouring down shells until it is sunk.

The other side is to lay in wait and allow the other vessel to provide the perfect broadside or get closer for a potentially devastating strike.

Firing range, ship position, and concealment should all be taken into consideration when deciding when to open fire.

Do you go in guns blazing or hold your fire for the right moment?

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon." - Horatio Nelson, Royal Navy

#wreckingballwednesdays

#anchorsaweigh

[55TH]
Beta Testers
628 posts
3,286 battles

Guns blazing from the other side of an island that only I can shoot over. :P

[SYJ]
Members
1,010 posts
2,260 battles

A lot of times I feel silly for doing it, but if I see it I'm shooting:Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,229 posts
13,029 battles

It's not an either/or. It's doing the right one at the right time.

[RKLES]
Members
7,543 posts
9,589 battles

Some battles I don’t even fire my guns at all, just send my fish to help red ships with going to find Nemo or Davy Jones. :Smile_teethhappy:

Or if I am using CA or BB, I open fire when in effects be ranges that I can actually hit them at.

[OO7]
Members
3,307 posts
9,766 battles

Very ship dependant as well. If I'm in a hindy, I'll be spamming a lot. If I'm in a zao, I'll be waiting to get that unexpected ap Salvo into a broadside ship and then go dark again. 

[ARGSY]
Members
1,318 posts
9,469 battles

In Soviet and French cruisers, I tape the left click down and almost never take my foot of the gas. Ditto for Soviet DDs. If it's hittable, I hit it.

[CVA16]
Members
2,458 posts
10,153 battles

Have to throw in the "Is it worth getting spotted for a low percentage hit chance" factor. If I haven't been spotted yet and would rather be somewhere else when I am, I will hold fire, even in a BB. If I'm spotted already, why not?

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

I will try to hold my fire for as long as possible. If I can get them next to concealment range, that is perfect.

[KAPPA]
Members
358 posts
4,642 battles

If I am undetected, typically I'll wait until the perfect time to strike. If I'm detected, it depends on if I feel comfortable being detected.

When it comes to a DD, the times I can cit something are obscenely rare, meaning timing my shots is more about detection. When the oportunity arises, I cap. When the opportunity arises, I'll also torp.

Likewise, in a CL, I care more often about hitting rather than citting. And if I'm in range to cit, I'm likely to have some trouble not being spotted. That said, I'll typically set up an ambush and single fire torps in a long line in wait for the poor ship about to round the corner, and only when they miss do I engage with trying to cit.

With a CA, my goals are far simpler, as I lack torps at those times. I will do what I can to score cits on my target, and thus will likely hold my fire till I have a good shot. At times I'll ambush, but those times are fairly rare, as torpedoes are more reliable in such cases.

As for BBs, if I'm not spotted, I aim for my first salvo to be a good one. After that, it all depends on what the enemy is up to. When I get out-numbered, I tend to start going in reverse quite early, trying to distract them for a while while protecting my cit as well as I can. If I'm not, I'll constantly seek broadside targets to punish.

[5IN]
WoWS Community Contributors
47 posts
14,980 battles

Both options are very viable. for smaller guns like 15 inches the  wait  for the perfect shot is optimal  nice post

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

Now that I have the North Carolina I only fire at broadsides till I get within 15 kilometers then I try to use any islands to close and wade in at ranges closer then 8 kilometers. Makes for an interesting match. Its the best ship I have at kills per battle. 

Edited by Sped_Gax

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,291 posts
9,004 battles

Definitely more of the spray and pray kind of BB player... hate wasting those gun cooldowns!

[F1RE]
Members
22 posts

FYI  ---  There is an interlock on BB's like the New Jersey and Iowa that prevent all 3 turrets from firing at the same time to prevent Shock damage.     Everyone has seen that Picture of the New Jersey with all 3 turrets firing at the same time.    Well the FTG's on the Iowa had to disable that internlocks so they could fire all the guns simultaneously for that picture.    The results was shock damage to all 3 gun turrets just as they had been told not to do by disabling the interlock.    

The Interlock add a small delay to prevent Shock Damge, think about "heterodyne" waves, when two combine the crate a wave that is the sum and diffence of the original.    So lots os ship Shock Damge. 

While in the Navy my Room Mate while attending A-School was the Saftey Observer for Number 2 Turret on the Iowas,  (FTg-2/SW).    He transfered off 2 months before the accitdent in Number 2 Turret.