Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

WOW's Hot New Video

15 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,649 posts
9,622 battles

I'm glad to see that someone at WG understands that the vast majority of soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen have been just that -- men. Women have done, and continue to do, their part when they serve but it's mostly men (even today, over 85%) that go into battle and fight for their country. Pinups remind the men just what they are fighting for.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
6,649 posts
9,622 battles

:cap_old: XO! Someone has complained that Seaman Jones' poster is sexist. Make him remove it!

:cap_cool:But, sir, don't we allow the men to post pictures of their relatives?

:cap_old:What does that have to do with anything?

:cap_cool:Well, sir, that pinup girl is his grandma.

908b477a82915ecc2d275559b51eec9c.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
4,676 posts
6,811 battles

Whatever happened to good CLEAN entertainment?  Hah!

Ya know nose art on planes in WWII got so sexually graphic that by 1944 (I think it was 44) an order went out from the War Dept ordering the boys to clean it up. 

• Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,570 posts
13,580 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I'm glad to see that someone at WG understands that the vast majority of soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen have been just that -- men. Women have done, and continue to do, their part when they serve but it's mostly men (even today, over 85%) that go into battle and fight for their country. Pinups remind the men just what they are fighting for.

Pay attention Pikachu fans - This is how babies really get made!

Bringing WWII to life +1 - awesome promo WG 

• Bad 1

Alpha Tester
5,347 posts
2,542 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Ya know nose art on planes in WWII got so sexually graphic that by 1944 (I think it was 44) an order went out from the War Dept ordering the boys to clean it up. 

The B-25 Mitchell at the Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario has a woman with her knockers out in full view.

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,747 posts
4,882 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

I can't remember if it was a documentary I watched or if it was in a Book but they went into that order a bit in it.   Most of the female forms in most of the nose art was scandalous at the time.  But it was a morale booster and did wonders for crew cohesion.  A crew which had personalized and given an "identity" to their machinery was also much better about keeping it in working order so the Top brass kind of had a "Sgt. Schultz" reaction to it (I know nuzzinK, I see nuzzink!).  It was also expensive.  Don Allen, one of the more famous artists would charge $35 for the design and painting on the aircraft.  $35 in 1943, adjusted for inflation would probably be close to $500 today.  He opted for "scantily" clad instead of nude though. 

From what I can remember one of the easier ways to tell if it was original or covered up was hand position and clothing.  If the hand covered portions of the body it usually was originally drawn that way on the aircraft.  However if nothing was covering and skimpy clothes were on without much detail to the clothing itself?  Chances are it was a coverup. 

So for instance, Ill Wind by Don Allen has the clothes as part of the central theme of the Nose Art.

zauTAON.jpg

Where as Night Mission (Spoiler tags just in case) would be a good example of something that could have been a coverup.  Now, I'm not saying Night Mission was a coverup job, but using it as an example to illustrate the differences between the clothing being a focal part of the art piece, or possibly something that could have been added on after the fact. 

wYHDZA1.jpg

Edited by vonKaiser

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,402 posts
4,081 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Who knows.  I know some lasses who love the pin-up fashion and love the war-era in terms of its many nuances, whether it be military equipment or overall culture.

There are even online stores that sell pin-up fashion for those who wish to purchase something for themselves.

Members
4,676 posts
6,811 battles
6 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

I can't remember if it was a documentary I watched or if it was in a Book but they went into that order a bit in it.   Most of the female forms in most of the nose art was scandalous at the time.  But it was a morale booster and did wonders for crew cohesion.  A crew which had personalized and given an "identity" to their machinery was also much better about keeping it in working order so the Top brass kind of had a "Sgt. Schultz" reaction to it (I know nuzzinK, I see nuzzink!).  It was also expensive.  Don Allen, one of the more famous artists would charge $35 for the design and painting on the aircraft.  $35 in 1943, adjusted for inflation would probably be close to $500 today.  He opted for "scantily" clad instead of nude though. 

From what I can remember one of the easier ways to tell if it was original or covered up was hand position and clothing.  If the hand covered portions of the body it usually was originally drawn that way on the aircraft.  However if nothing was covering and skimpy clothes were on without much detail to the clothing itself?  Chances are it was a coverup. 

So for instance, I'll Wind by Don Allen has the clothes as part of the central theme of the Nose Art.

zauTAON.jpg

Where as Night Mission (Spoiler tags just in case) would be a good example of something that could have been a coverup.  Now, I'm not saying Night Mission was a coverup job, but using it as an example to illustrate the differences between the clothing being a focal part of the art piece, or possibly something that could have been added on after the fact. 

Hide contents

wYHDZA1.jpg

Good post!  I live not far from Wright Patterson Air Force Museum. They have the B-24 "Strawberry B#tch. Several years ago a lady took her elementary school class on a field trip to the museum and was shocked and appealed to the extent that she wrote a letter to the Dayton newspaper insisting that it be removed. Well NO WAY said the museum.  It's true history and simply reflected the crew's feeling that their plane was a bad azz gal. Meant as a compliment and good for their morale. That plane is famous around this part of the country.  Air Force Museum is a GREAT museum.  Go if you ever get the chance. It's huge. Better than the Air Space museum at the Smithsonian....however Smithsonian has some of the most famous planes like The Spirit of Saint Louis, Enola G#y, original Wright Flyer etc.  But the Air Force Museum has a TON of stuff.  Take ya 2 days to see it all.

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,749 posts

Next time someone in the community tries to claim that anime is sexualization, I'll just show them this video.    x'D

Alpha Tester
5,347 posts
2,542 battles
1 hour ago, vonKaiser said:

So for instance, Ill Wind by Don Allen has the clothes as part of the central theme of the Nose Art.

zauTAON.jpg

Hide contents

wYHDZA1.jpg

Not only that, but a fair bit of that old art was well done and, by the standards of what it is, rather classy. Pinups and old Playboy photos are one of those rare things where it's both obscene and artistic at the same time. You don't feel like what you're looking at is raunchy, but rather that it's in (relatively speaking) good taste.

Members
4,676 posts
6,811 battles
6 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

Not only that, but a fair bit of that old art was well done and, by the standards of what it is, rather classy. Pinups and old Playboy photos are one of those rare things where it's both obscene and artistic at the same time. You don't feel like what you're looking at is raunchy, but rather that it's in (relatively speaking) good taste.

My daughter has a tattoo license in Chicago.  She is an artist and does all kinds of stuff. Ever hear of Sailor Jerry? WWII...tattooed bought every sailor, marine, army, ect. that went thru Honolulu in WWII. Famous. Created an entire style that is still done today. She is a HUGE fan of his and does his designs for those who like em.  He is dead but a WWII legend for anyone who went thru Pearl in WWII. Hot but tasteful. He was also a very salty kinda guy. You can pull his stuff up online and see his influence. 

Alpha Tester
5,347 posts
2,542 battles
3 hours ago, dmckay said:

My daughter has a tattoo license in Chicago.  She is an artist and does all kinds of stuff. Ever hear of Sailor Jerry? WWII...tattooed bought every sailor, marine, army, ect. that went thru Honolulu in WWII. Famous. Created an entire style that is still done today. She is a HUGE fan of his and does his designs for those who like em.  He is dead but a WWII legend for anyone who went thru Pearl in WWII. Hot but tasteful. He was also a very salty kinda guy. You can pull his stuff up online and see his influence. 

I've heard of Sailor Jerry. I saw the commercials for the spiced rum named after him years ago.

Sign in to follow this