Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Tonnage sunk?

5 comments in this topic

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles

There was a thread bout how much tonnage you have sunk.  Made me wonder. U-boat commander sinks a bunch of ships on a patrol.  Reports back he has sunk X amount of tonnage. Now I assume that figure was just referring to the type of ships he had sunk since I am sure they knew the weight in tonnage of, say, a Liberty ship and took no account of the cargo. Like a Liberty ship hauling tanks would weigh more than one hauling condoms for the troops. So tonnage sunk would just reflect weight in tons of the ship sunk and cargo would have nothing to do with that. Right?  I am sure this is correct but just thought I would ask. Got time on my hands.

Sinking a ship hauling condoms would be a tragedy for the troops and the war effort....leaving them wide open to sexually transmitted diseases like syphilis and such. If I were a U-boat commander and suspected a cargo ship was hauling condoms I would target that ship and skip the one hauling tanks. Venereal diseases could ravage the numbers of troops fit for duty and weaken your army. Actually that WAS a problem in like the Civil War in the days before antibiotics.  Yup.:Smile_sad:  

Edited by dmckay
  • Funny 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles

Hey!  The armed forces in WWII took venereal diseases very seriously. All troops heading overseas were shown a film depicting the ravages of syphilis and other stuff.  Designed to scare the HELL outta them and make em USE those condoms.  It was famous.  Wonder if anyone here can find that film and post it? 

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,615 posts
16,725 battles

@dmckay I believe the tonnage sunk info was based on the data from their target recognition book/chart and did not account for the various cargo weights since that would be an unknown. A 10000 ton vessel is a 10000 ton vessel whether it is loaded with wood or steel. Also warships were not counted as tonnage sunk a 30000 ton BB or a 50000 ton BB is a BB. Royal Oak at Scapa Flow was 1 BB sunk, Ark Royal in the Med 1 CV sunk. 

Though they are just games that the way it was credited in Command Aces of the Deep and Silent Hunter! Man I miss those two games.

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
8 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@dmckay I believe the tonnage sunk info was based on the data from their target recognition book/chart and did not account for the various cargo weights since that would be an unknown. A 10000 ton vessel is a 10000 ton vessel whether it is loaded with wood or steel. Also warships were not counted as tonnage sunk a 30000 ton BB or a 50000 ton BB is a BB. Royal Oak at Scapa Flow was 1 BB sunk, Ark Royal in the Med 1 CV sunk. 

Though they are just games that the way it was credited in Command Aces of the Deep and Silent Hunter! Man I miss those two games.

Makes sense.  However I bet that there was some knowledge, maybe, of what a particular convoy was hauling. Intelligence ya know. I don't really know however. Certainly not an expert on this kinda thing. German spying was actually pretty lame overall in WWII. Brits were very good. Of course a U-boat commander would be able to see that a ship was a tanker hauling fuel. Very identifiable. They definitely targeted tankers.

So a BB sunk was just a BB sunk.  Good info.  Interesting. 

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,615 posts
16,725 battles

@dmckay Loose Lips Sink Ships! Yes their Identification chart and targets profile would certainly confirm ship type ie tanker, cargo, troop ship. As for intel yes they may have had info on a few convoys but most were sent to loiter in an area of known convoy transit patrolling till one showed up. ie off North and South coasts or Ireland. 

Sign in to follow this