You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
parryfrizz

hey are japanese heavy(battleships,aircraft carriers) ships good as compared to uncle sam's ships

14 comments in this topic

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,689 battles

The Japanese tend to have faster battleships compared to the American ones, though they aren't as tough, and they have (generally) better accuracy at farther ranges.  You generally want to avoid brawling in them.

[SPTR]
Members
3,637 posts
6,558 battles

Yes, most of them are just as good, if not better. The tier IV myogi is bit of a hiccup, she will force you to perfect your marksmenship, particularly with the japanease 14 inch guns—the same gun you will use on the next two ships. 

Don’t worry, the ship that comes next, the Kongo, is quite a treat to play with.

[TBW]
Members
7,714 posts
14,140 battles

They have different play styles and characteristics. What one person thinks is better is bad to another. JPN has long firing guns that tend to be accurate. USN tend to launch shells into the stratosphere and can therefore shoot over islands better. This of course is a stereotype or generalization. You have to find the ships and play styles that fit you best. I like variety so I play them all. It's a good thing to look over all of your ships stats before hitting the battle button. Know how far your shells fly and how fast (it's sometimes different between AP and HE), how fast your ship is and it's concealments. It has 6 guns and 3 turrets by the way.

[REVY]
Members
1,393 posts
9,180 battles

Note that the Myogi is a 'paper' ship.

She was created off of design studies and in her current form, how she might have looked after a refit/rebuild in the same way as the Kongo-class.

Kawachi and Kongo are both true steel warships that were built.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,142 posts
9,728 battles

It'll depend on tier and situation, especially on CV's. For CV's, USN is pretty much king at 4 and 5, USN fighters are straight up OP however, it  shows most at this tier with strafe removed. Tier 6 it can be competitive against USN, but requires some more skill. 7-8 IJN easily schools USN, 9 is a debate, tier 10 in a long battle both lines are equally screwed when they removed planes from Midway to solve the issue of Hak running out of planes in longer matches. Yes that is the backwards logic that has made CV's an issue and now they are trying to completely reinvent how they play. So some of us have little faith on that front, but I digress. 

As to BB's -

Myogi has 3 less turrets (half the guns) of Wyoming, however it's guns are bigger, shoot farther, and faster. Added bonus tht if it DOES come to very close range fights, it has more secondaries. Pretty even fight unless going against Ark Beta.

Tier 5 isn't even a competition, Kongo is vastly superior. One of NY turrets is only usable full broadside, which will get you hurt, with a slower reload, slower ship, less range, less secondaries if anything gets close, AA is barely any better than Kongo's, just, not even a fight. 

Tier 6 - Both are equally good.

Tier 7 - depends who you ask, may will say consistently Nagato is good, Colorado.... some say it's good, personally I hated it. 

Tier 8 - again, really competitive. 

Tier 9 - I have not personally played Izumo, but given it's an oddball in the line with turret placement could throw people off. Seen many flat out call for it to be replaced a while back, don't usually see them do well. Iowa on the other hand, very good ship, and when built for AA the things CV's dread. 

Tier 10 - It was very lopsided in Yamato's favour at one point, but buffs and changes have evened that out quite a bit. Though Yamato (and even more so her down tiered sister) seem to be "Mauses of the sea". 

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,795 posts
5,181 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

Tier 6 - Both are equally good.

Tier 7 - depends who you ask, may will say consistently Nagato is good, Colorado.... some say it's good, personally I hated it.

I disagree.  Here, I would move the "both are equally good" rating to T7.  Personally, I did much better with New Mexico than I did with Fuso.  Got through the XP grind in nine fewer games, averaged about 17K more damage per game.

I won a lot more with Colorado than I did with Nagato, but otherwise the stats are pretty similar - although I did free XP about the last 15K of the Nagato grind, which would have been between 3 and 5 games for me.

A note on my opinions: I'm an average player at best, and I still kinda suck at gunnery.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,958 posts
2,812 battles
6 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Myogi has 3 less turrets (half the guns) of Wyoming, however it's guns are bigger, shoot farther, and faster. Added bonus tht if it DOES come to very close range fights, it has more secondaries. Pretty even fight unless going against Ark Beta.

Wyoming is vastly superior to Myogi.  It isn't even close.

Myogi does have advantages (speed mostly), but six guns, four of them aft, just doesn't cut it. I think I'd have improved my average damage in Myogi if I had simply tried to ram an enemy BB each match than actually fight it out like I did.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,442 posts
18,784 battles

IJN & USN Capital Ships in WoWS?

CARRIERS

IJN, hands down.  The tech tree IJN CVs up and down the tiers are all great.  Premium Kaga is solid.  Many USN CVs are mediocre or terrible.  The best USN ones are Bogue (funny considering her history in this game), Premiums Saipan & Enterprise, tech tree Midway.  But USN CVs also have back-to-back-to-back the worst CVs imaginable in the game.  Ranger, Lexington, Essex.  Those 3 are some of the worst performing SHIPS in the game, period.  There is no weak spot in the IJN CV Line and the one Premium CV they have is broken strong.

BATTLESHIPS

It gets a bit more nuanced with BBs.

In general, IJN BBs sport better speed and much more reliable gunnery than USN BBs, as a BB Line.

IJN BBs sport the best range, best dispersion of all BB Lines in the game.  Hands down.  No question.

USN BBs suffer either from poor range, or poor dispersion, or in NC's case, extremely floaty shells.  However, in Tier IX-X, USN BB gunnery there just as good at range as IJN BB gunnery.

IJN BBs tend to have at the bare minimum, respectable speed throughout the tiers.

USN BBs?  21kts is a common limitation going into Tier Freaking Seven.  This is unacceptable.  However, at Tier VIII, you got respectable 27kts.  In Tier IX you got an amazing 33kts.  In Tier X you got 30kts.

IJN BBs, unless you got Premium Tier VIII Kii, have abysmal AA.

USN BBs, starting Tier VII, are excellent AA Build candidates.

Both tech tree USN & IJN BBs are not good Secondaries Build candidates for their tiers.  German and now French BBs reign supreme here.  Only USN Premium Tier VIII Massachusetts is a good Secondaries candidate out of all USN BBs.  Range is the biggest weakness in USN Secondaries Builds.  Poor rate of fire is also a limiting factor.  Massachusetts is the only USN BB to not suffer these problems with Secondaries.

There is also one factor people often forget when talking about USN BBs.  In Tier IX-X, they access Artillery Plotting Room  Mod 2 in Slot 6 upgrade slot.  Aiming System Mod 1 in Slot 3 that everyone else can access (except USN BBs) buffs dispersion by 7%.  APRM2 buffs dispersion by 11%.  That is a big deal.  This turns Iowa, Missouri, Montana from mediocre dispersion BBs into some of the best ranged combat BBs in game to keep pace with even IJN BB ranged performance.

Another factor is that due to USN BBs not having access to ASM1 for main battery dispersion, and APRM2 for Tier IX-X is a Slot 6 and not a Slot 3 upgrade, they become very good AA Build candidates for the simple fact it's easy to implement.

VII Colorado and VIII Alabama / North Carolina have good AA.  But with no ASM1 access, what else are they going to stuff into Slot 3?  Secondaries are trash, so AAGM2 for better AA is a natural thing.

Here's where it gets good.

Tier IX-X of course have fantastic AA.  But APRM2 is Slot 6.  This means that the USN BBs of these tiers can buff their main battery dispersion while still taking AAGM2 for improving their fantastic AA.

THE ONLY BBs IN THE ENTIRE GAME THAT CAN BUFF BOTH MAIN BATTERY DISPERSION AND ANTI-AIR CAPABILITIES TO FULL ARE TIER IX-X USN BBs.  Every other BB in the game cannot do this.

So, which is the best BB Line between USN & IJN?

In general, I say IJN because the tree is loaded with respectably fast BBs with capable main battery reliability.  Only Izumo at Tier IX is the wart of this line.  The caveat is that USN BBs are a late blooming BB Line.  They're sh*t or mediocre Tier VII or below, but once they get to Tier VIII, they get better.  In Tier IX-X, today, they are extremely good Battleships.  Only at Tier VIII-X do USN catch up, but IJN BBs still have one ace up their sleeve:

460mm guns.  A High Tier USN BB can try to go bow on to IJN 460mm AP, they'll only get citadeled through the bow.

If you like to play High Tier VIII-X, both BB Lines are fantastic and suitable to the long ranged combat of High Tier games.  Tier VII and below, IJN all the way.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,142 posts
9,728 battles
10 hours ago, Fishrokk said:

I disagree.  Here, I would move the "both are equally good" rating to T7.  Personally, I did much better with New Mexico than I did with Fuso.  Got through the XP grind in nine fewer games, averaged about 17K more damage per game.

I won a lot more with Colorado than I did with Nagato, but otherwise the stats are pretty similar - although I did free XP about the last 15K of the Nagato grind, which would have been between 3 and 5 games for me.

A note on my opinions: I'm an average player at best, and I still kinda suck at gunnery.

Yeah, mines based on my gameplay and what I've seen in terms of complaints. NM/Fuso are rare if ever, and I had no issues with them. Other than when I had Yamamoto in it on December 7th (his flagship on that day), I had no issues with Nagato and never really see it complained about, save maybe when against Iowa's but pretty much every tier 7 hates that. Colorado I had a couple good games but the rest was banging my head on a wall, and seen plenty of threads going "the hell is wrong with this ship?". Truth is ask 100 people this question your liable to get as many variations. Besides the fact the old lines need some tweaks to keep up with the newer lines a bit better. 

6 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Wyoming is vastly superior to Myogi.  It isn't even close.

Myogi does have advantages (speed mostly), but six guns, four of them aft, just doesn't cut it. I think I'd have improved my average damage in Myogi if I had simply tried to ram an enemy BB each match than actually fight it out like I did.

Myogi is like Shinonome and a few other designs - a runner. The idea with the ship is to keep the stern at the enemy and blast away with the bigger guns. Assuming the Wyoming is even in range to shoot back in pursuit it can only fire back 4 smaller shells. Unless it turns to show more of a broadside at which point it is now open to even harder hits with possibly low rewards against the angled myogi. Not meant to fight it out the same way say the German Tier 4 is.

[RKLES]
Members
9,083 posts
10,922 battles

Japanese Battleships becomes good once you reach tier V and up. And if you question the power of Japanese Battleship just take a look at the size of the main guns on Musashi and Yamato, they are 18.1’ guns...  I have greatly enjoyed the Japanese Battleships tiers 5-10. Although Japanese Battleships are not the only good ones, pretty much any Battleship in the game from tier 5 and up can start being nice, but definitely tier 6 and up are good in all the Battleships.

The Carriers are nice as well since you often get the advantages of numbers of squadrons, but a little less durable aircraft than the USN carriers, but still workable. And Japanese Carriers are stealthier which can really help you not get sunk as easily.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,958 posts
2,812 battles
12 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Myogi is like Shinonome and a few other designs - a runner. The idea with the ship is to keep the stern at the enemy and blast away with the bigger guns. Assuming the Wyoming is even in range to shoot back in pursuit it can only fire back 4 smaller shells. Unless it turns to show more of a broadside at which point it is now open to even harder hits with possibly low rewards against the angled myogi. Not meant to fight it out the same way say the German Tier 4 is.

Yes, that is how I used it.  It is far too inaccurate to see much success using that tactic.

Maybe that has changed with its new 2.0 sigma, I am not going to buy it back to find out.

In contrast I would have kept Wyoming if I did not already have Arkansas Beta.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,142 posts
9,728 battles
7 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Yes, that is how I used it.  It is far too inaccurate to see much success using that tactic.

Maybe that has changed with its new 2.0 sigma, I am not going to buy it back to find out.

In contrast I would have kept Wyoming if I did not already have Arkansas Beta.

I had no more issue with it hitting things than Wyoming, guess RNG liked me on dispersion with that ship. 

But yeah, Myogi fell to space needs (just had to do yet another culling, painful for someone that wants all the ships, Wyoming to Ark Beta and Kongo to the fact I have 4 more much as they have crazy anime looks.