You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MG1962

Graphics upgrade and interesting results

23 comments in this topic

[BLHK]
Members
472 posts
3,673 battles

I took delivery over the weekend of a new computer tweeked for gaming. The CPU and graphics card is about 4 times better than what I had previously owned.

In the time I have been playing WOW I have always considered myself a fairly poor player. I clearly had no talent for the game, but just enjoyed the whole experience. In general I would find myself in the bottom third of performers at the end of the game.

Since Sunday I have been consistently in the top half of players, and the majority of games I have found myself in the top 3. Last night was the ultimate. Got my first Kraken. Did it in the tier 3 St Louis, and did it in part by sinking 3 destroyers.

I don't recall ever seeing any discussions about game play ability being linked to the quality of your computer, so I am wondering have others experienced similar jumps, or am I riding some improbable statistical spike and will slump back to my normal standard soon enough lol

[ARGSY]
Members
7,154 posts
4,869 battles

Perhaps your new equipment has given you more faith in yourself? Whatever; enjoy it while it lasts, and sounded like a great game.

[-K-]
Members
1,103 posts
7,614 battles

Last weekend I upgraded my video card and monitor, and while I can't say it's measurably improved my results, I feel like it has helped with a few things.  On my i7 2600k system, I went from:

A GTX 560Ti running 1680x1050 on a 22" 60hz monitor averaging around 35-45 FPS

To a GTX 1080 running 2560x1440 on a 27" 144hz G-Sync monitor averaging 125-145 FPS

Things I noticed that might improve gameplay:

• Much smoother zooming using the shift key.  I feel this helps me get on target faster and more reliably.
  • Much smoother panning around.  I feel this helps me keep better situational awareness.

Things I notice that don't really affect gameplay:

• The shell flight paths are oh so buttery smooth now.
  • The increased resolution makes the ships look AMAZING.
  • I spend more time looking around at the beginning of the match, admiring the pretty graphics while sailing to get into position.

Of course, it's also allowed me to now play other modern games, which is nice.  Really glad I upgraded.

Edited by RightYouAreKen
  • Cool 1

[PT8TO]
Members
1,452 posts
13,973 battles
17 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

I took delivery over the weekend of a new computer tweeked for gaming. The CPU and graphics card is about 4 times better than what I had previously owned.

In the time I have been playing WOW I have always considered myself a fairly poor player. I clearly had no talent for the game, but just enjoyed the whole experience. In general I would find myself in the bottom third of performers at the end of the game.

Since Sunday I have been consistently in the top half of players, and the majority of games I have found myself in the top 3. Last night was the ultimate. Got my first Kraken. Did it in the tier 3 St Louis, and did it in part by sinking 3 destroyers.

I don't recall ever seeing any discussions about game play ability being linked to the quality of your computer, so I am wondering have others experienced similar jumps, or am I riding some improbable statistical spike and will slump back to my normal standard soon enough lol

I played my first 4000 games on a PC that could hardly manage 15 FPS,  and could hardly play the game on the lowest settings.

Most the time the game just froze up every 20 secs,  How i managed to maintain a 49% WR is beside me it should have been a lot worse.

If I had played those first 4000 battles on anything close to what I have now I would already be over 60 WR.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,452 posts
13,973 battles
9 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

Last weekend I upgraded my video card and monitor, and while I can't say it's measurably improved my results, I feel like it has helped with a few things.  On my i7 2600k system, I went from:

To a GTX 1080 running 2560x1440 on a 27" 144hz G-Sync monitor averaging 125-145 FPS

• Much smoother zooming using the shift key.  I feel this helps me get on target faster and more reliably.
  • Much smoother panning around.  I feel this helps me keep better situational awareness.

• I spend more time looking around at the beginning of the match, admiring the pretty graphics while sailing to get into position.

Of course, it's also allowed me to now play other modern games, which is nice.  Really glad I upgraded.

What brand Monitor you go with Ken?  Acer? HP? something more fancy? lol

[-K-]
Members
1,103 posts
7,614 battles
Just now, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

What brand Monitor you go with Ken?  Acer? HP? something more fancy? lol

Less fancy actually.  I went with the Dell S2716DG.  It gets a little hate online about color reproduction, but I read enough good reviews about it's performance and it was on sale from BestBuy for such a screaming price ($369) that I decided to give it a flyer.  I considered the Asus ROG and Acer Predator models (both TN and IPS panels) but they have issues too and are $500-650.

Really happy with the monitor.  Maybe I'm just less picky than some, or I got a good one.  But it's got no dead pixels, performs really well, and using some color settings I found online I think it looks great.

[BLHK]
Members
472 posts
3,673 battles
19 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

Much smoother panning around.  I feel this helps me keep better situational awareness.

My wife laughed at me when I said "hey look my ship has rivets"

[BLHK]
Members
472 posts
3,673 battles
15 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

I played my first 4000 games on a PC that could hardly manage 15 FPS,  and could hardly play the game on the lowest settings.

Most the time the game just froze up every 20 secs, 

Sounds similar to my experience. I got around the freezing by making sure absolutely every other non essential process was shut down through task manager. But my fps was never over 20 FPS. 

[PT8TO]
Members
1,452 posts
13,973 battles
2 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

Less fancy actually.  I went with the Dell S2716DG.  It gets a little hate online about color reproduction, but I read enough good reviews about it's performance and it was on sale from BestBuy for such a screaming price ($369) that I decided to give it a flyer.  I considered the Asus ROG and Acer Predator models (both TN and IPS panels) but they have issues too and are $500-650.

Really happy with the monitor.  Maybe I'm just less picky than some, or I got a good one.  But it's got no dead pixels, performs really well, and using some color settings I found online I think it looks great.

Yeah the Dell is fine I have never had any issues at work with them,  They last longer and perform as well as just about any other Monitor plus or minus $200 of its range.

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
431 posts
2,671 battles

I actually use a Samsung 32" 1080p Hd tv for a monitor . 

The graphics look great to me , am I missing something about monitors ?

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,747 posts
4,882 battles

Well how bad of a prior PC are we talking?  I mean if you're getting low 20's and in the teens of FPS, and you're playing a gunboat like the St. Louis which has gun arcs that I can only describe as "Pumpkin Chuckers"  Yeah stuttering and slow frames would probably hurt your aiming and your hit rate.  View scrolling would take longer due to the stuttering, require more fine tuning if you overshoot, then have to scroll back to where you need to be.  If it's smooth you can go right on target and fire sooner instead of spending that time to adjust your aim. 

[TAFY3]
Members
369 posts
7,803 battles

Another thing to consider is a mechanical keyboard.  I don't know if it helps much with WOWs but for games in general, mechanical keyboards offer a competitive advantage.  Another thing to historically avoid is a wireless mouse, the lag can be a problem.  Congratulations on your continuation in the PC master race!

maxresdefault.jpg

[WOLF7]
Members
10,355 posts

Potato computer affects game play.....Film at 11. :Smile_teethhappy:

If you were struggling a on a really marginal computer, an upgrade is certainly going to make a difference.

Members
1,217 posts
10 battles

I just upgraded to a 43 inch Toshiba 4k TV to use as a monitor. I know a scaleable UI is coming, I can't wait. In 4k the game looks amazing.

[BLHK]
Members
472 posts
3,673 battles
15 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Potato computer affects game play.....Film at 11. :Smile_teethhappy:

If you were struggling a on a really marginal computer, an upgrade is certainly going to make a difference.

Well WOW is not that demanding on graphics, so I was not expecting that much of an improvement

Members
18,996 posts
5,340 battles
1 hour ago, RightYouAreKen said:

I hear you. My main PC recently blew the mobo, and I had to play on my old Athlon 6000/512Mb 8600GT combo. Other than the reduced settings, something just seemed off, and my gameplay suffered.

I can run maxed out on an FX-6300/2Gb HD7790, and it looks good, (60FPS locked to refresh rate) but because I use a 10-year old 50" plasma TV, I can only do 720p. I'm curious to see what I could run at with 1080p.

But I'm currently starting to build a VR rig, so I'll be putting in an 8Gb RX580 soon, so it's not sitting in a box while I save for the i5-8600K and DDR4 RAM.

[BLHK]
Members
472 posts
3,673 battles
31 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

Well how bad of a prior PC are we talking?  I mean if you're getting low 20's and in the teens of FPS, and you're playing a gunboat like the St. Louis which has gun arcs that I can only describe as "Pumpkin Chuckers"  Yeah stuttering and slow frames would probably hurt your aiming and your hit rate.  View scrolling would take longer due to the stuttering, require more fine tuning if you overshoot, then have to scroll back to where you need to be.  If it's smooth you can go right on target and fire sooner instead of spending that time to adjust your aim. 

That's probably the answer. Thinking back I was landing shots pretty quick and pretty consistently. Last night I was nailing another St Louis from 11k with the majority of my salvos.

[WOLF7]
Members
10,355 posts
31 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Well WOW is not that demanding on graphics, so I was not expecting that much of an improvement

Not demanding by today's standards certainly, in fact you're CPU upgrade may have made more of a difference than the GPU.

But depending on what you were running, it can have a significant effect. If you were running at say 20fps and had a hiccup that loses you 15 fps, it is going to affect your ability to shoot and move. if you're running 60 fps and have a have the same hiccup it's really not going to affect much. I went from a old ATI card to a slightly newer 750TI, went from 25fps on medium low settings to 60 fps on high. The game play was noticeably better.

[INTEL]
Members
871 posts
9,052 battles

I've found that screen size makes a big diff in my long range accuracy. I usually play on a 17" lappy but somewhat regularly use a 23" monitor when I'm home.

[BLHK]
Members
472 posts
3,673 battles
6 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Not demanding by today's standards certainly, in fact you're CPU upgrade may have made more of a difference than the GPU.

But depending on what you were running, it can have a significant effect. If you were running at say 20fps and had a hiccup that loses you 15 fps, it is going to affect your ability to shoot and move. if you're running 60 fps and have a have the same hiccup it's really not going to affect much. I went from a old ATI card to a slightly newer 750TI, went from 25fps on medium low settings to 60 fps on high. The game play was noticeably better.

Yeah jumped up from Athlon II duel core to I5 8400 quad core.

It was an interesting exercise. Old school common wisdom was to always sink your money into the GPU. These days, the GPUs are running fast enough to create choke points with the CPU. So actually have to look for a balance.

[-K-]
Members
1,103 posts
7,614 battles
1 hour ago, MG1962 said:

Yeah jumped up from Athlon II duel core to I5 8400 quad core.

It was an interesting exercise. Old school common wisdom was to always sink your money into the GPU. These days, the GPUs are running fast enough to create choke points with the CPU. So actually have to look for a balance.

Depends on the CPU and GPU you're coming from.  When I did research on whether it was worth upgrading my 7 year old i7 2600k, research I found said it really wasn't.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more?showall=1

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/76333-i7-2600k-vs-i7-8700k-upgrading-worthwhile.html

For example, check out the massive increase just upgrading the GPU showed here.  My results back this up.

COFFEE-SANDY-48.jpg