Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DJC_499

Survival of the Laziest

9 comments in this topic

[FOG]
Members
378 posts
5,115 battles

I read this morning that a study is suggesting that survival may be more favorable for the "sluggish" or the "laziest". Perhaps that explains the ever-increasing number of back line snipers.....

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,575 posts
10,040 battles

Or like one of my favorite sayings.....

"If it seems I am standing still, I am just working as hard as I can to keep from slipping BACKWARDS." 

Author... (me)

• Funny 1

[PSP]
Members
6,665 posts
9,674 battles

Life is all about energy budgets. Those organisms that tend to conserve energy also tend to survive adverse conditions better and thus tend to live long enough to propagate their species. Some species like the tree sloth have evolved into the epitome of "laziness," slowly moving through the trees while slowly digesting nearly indigestible leaves that no other mammal can or cares to.

I have began to notice, though, that those BB players who camp at the back of the map and "snipe" tend to be the ones that get all the Krakens, High Calibers, and Confederates. Conversely, those (like me) who push into the fray generally are deleted early on. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,496 posts
5,902 battles

Many times it may seem like laziness to untrained eyes... But in fact, my mind is always boiling, calculating, while I am lying in wait for my next victim...

-Battleship mains

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[ADR]
Members
4,317 posts
13,539 battles
34 minutes ago, DJC_499 said:

I read this morning that a study is suggesting that survival may be more favorable for the "sluggish" or the "laziest". Perhaps that explains the ever-increasing number of back line snipers.....

maybe you should stop reading the Internet and believing everything you read ?

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

Tier IX+ BB Snipers have been here since the beginning of the game. While there is sniping at tiers lower than that, it is less consistent compared to when I play Iowa.

Members
502 posts
12,777 battles
Just now, Vangm94 said:

Tier IX+ BB Snipers have been here since the beginning of the game. While there is sniping at tiers lower than that, it is less consistent compared to when I play Iowa.

Lower tier BBs do not have the accuracy and range of the Iowa.

They HAVE to get a little closer to get shots in.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
5 minutes ago, Prothall said:

Lower tier BBs do not have the accuracy and range of the Iowa.

They HAVE to get a little closer to get shots in.

Not wrong. Except I always see Passive BB Tactics at Tier IX+ when I play Iowa. One side either attacks with all they got or the other one snipes while watching their CAs and DDs melt around them. I get that battle 90% of the time when I play Iowa and Musashi.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,747 posts
4,882 battles

"If you see me running try to keep up for something has gone seriously wrong, or I'm being chased by something very large"  1st rule in my orientation to new employee hires. 

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I have began to notice, though, that those BB players who camp at the back of the map and "snipe" tend to be the ones that get all the Krakens, High Calibers, and Confederates. Conversely, those (like me) who push into the fray generally are deleted early on. 

I notice this too, began noticing it especially in Tanks.  But you see it's kind of misleading.  You see a BB loss like that but amazing numbers in the screenshot.  "How does something like this happen?"  Well it boils down to something called "Bad Damage".  Are all the amazing number losses like this?  Of course not, but some are and it happens when you've got a backline sniping BB, taking pot shots all game, hitting here and there but nothing near enough to affect the outcome of the flank.  One by one the DD's and then cruisers in front get sunk and the flank is lost.  Now the enemy begins pushing against the lone BB.  Everyone pours fire onto him lighting themselves up on the map, while the BB retreats and returns fire.

He'll get a kill or two, maybe more.  He's got full health that's being whittled down while the enemy are now fixated on killing him and doing damage.  Target lock sets in and some of the cruisers forget to actively maneuver and avoid, the DD's get too aggressive and push inside their detection ranges, BB's want that little extra damage so turn too far broadside to make sure all guns are firing, all things the retreating BB player can punish them for because these pursuing enemy ships also have had their health whittled down by the now dead team mates on the flank. It's really a war of attrition at this point, who's health pool is going to last longer. 

Sometimes the lone BB lasts long enough to pull it off for the win.  Sometimes he doesn't.  But the reason I refer to it as "bad damage" is because it's burst damage, towards the end of the game that is sometimes suspect in it's impact on the outcome of the game.  Last BB on the team and only one enemy has been sunk?  Well sure you've got a target rich environment and can rack up lot's of damage before you eventually sink, but it's not going to matter much because the games pretty much a lost cause already.  However, instead of being in back, if that BB was in the midline, hitting more shots due to closer range, mitigating the damage taken by the team by cycling in and out of detection range with other BB's, sharing damage...  Well his numbers might not be as high.  He might not have those shiny awards like Kraken and Confederate, but he might get a Dreadnaught, and might get a win instead of a slow drawn out defeat. 

At least, that's my theory on it lol.

Edited by vonKaiser

Sign in to follow this