Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

New Control Suggestion

Protected Torpedo Tube Position  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tend to find that, on ships with protected(or what SHOULD be protected) torpedo tubes, them leaving their stored position without any imput, only to get more easily disabled, is a problem?

• yes
    • no
    • I don't know
    • What do you mean by "ships with protected torpedo tubes"?
  2. 2. If you answered yes to the first question, would you like there to be a control to tell torpedo tubes to go from stored position to battle(I.E, out) position?

• yes
    • no
    • undecided
    • I did not answer yes to the first question

24 comments in this topic

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles

I can't tell you how many times I'm in a Cruiser that has torpedoes in special covered areas, and I get them knocked out by a stray HE shell, only to find that the only reason that they were knocked out is because they were out (not in the stored position, even though I was firing my guns, NOT the torps, at the time, and I hadn't used them a single time the entire match), and thus were more vulnerable. Why can't we control this? It's frustrating. I want to be able to keep them in the stored(I.E, protected) position UNTIL when I actually want to use them!

It's just such a waste. If you can't keep them in the stored position, and thus more safe from enemy fire, what's the point of having them covered in the first place? If you can't keep them in the stored position, of what good is it to you? You might as well have unprotected ones, which generally have better arcs anyway!

Is this just a nit-picky personal preference of mine, or do you guys experience this problem as well?

As always, comments are appreciated, and I look forward to your feedback! Also, there is a poll to answer this question as well.

- Regards, Legoboy0401

Members
1,205 posts
3,161 battles

You talking about the torp launchers in the side of the ship below the deck (Zao, Atago, etc)? Those are fine. If there were torps with armored boxes that they were stored in, then I would be for a system to raise/lower them, but to my knowledge there are none.  

[WOLF2]
Members
289 posts
15,437 battles

there isn't really much of difference unless you are running a shimakaze with legendary mod, in which case it probably doesn't matter either since you will be sitting 20km away lol

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
13 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

You talking about the torp launchers in the side of the ship below the deck (Zao, Atago, etc)? Those are fine. If there were torps with armored boxes that they were stored in, then I would be for a system to raise/lower them, but to my knowledge there are none.  

The point is, their hit box extends further out from the ship when they are out, thereby making them easier to hit.

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
13 hours ago, luckyhoho said:

there isn't really much of difference unless you are running a shimakaze with legendary mod, in which case it probably doesn't matter either since you will be sitting 20km away lol

I was not referring to torpedo turrets. Cruisers, and ONLY Cruisers, have these, and it's mostly IJN Cruisers(Tier IV, Tier VI-X, Atago, ARP Takao) that have these.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,414 posts
4,243 battles

One way to do it is to have them retract whenever a Main Battery (AP, HE) option is selected.  This might delay their rotation a little, but likely acceptable.

The bigger problem is that HE "affects all modules within its blast radius".  Any tube protection may not even be considered in the damage allocation process.  In that case, your proposal is moot without a somewhat larger alteration to the models and the algorithms.

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

One way to do it is to have them retract whenever a Main Battery (AP, HE) option is selected.  This might delay their rotation a little, but likely acceptable.

The bigger problem is that HE "affects all modules within its blast radius".  Any tube protection may not even be considered in the damage allocation process.  In that case, your proposal is moot without a somewhat larger alteration to the models and the algorithms.

On such ships they are beneath a top deck (I.E., above main deck) area that is always covered by the armor model.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,544 posts
6,386 battles
2 hours ago, legoboy0401 said:

The point is, their hit box extends further out from the ship when they are out, thereby making them easier to hit.

Do they though? The torps extending from the ship could be cosmetic and the hitbox could be static. That's a level of programming detail that is arguably unnecessary. 

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
2 minutes ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

4ZVTj7f.gif

the ship has a design that includes safety and storage but during battle magazines do explode. deck guns get rekt there is no guarantee of safety. 

IJN equipped ships had that tendency to just blow up because of their Torpedoes. Some would just launch/jettison them just so that it does not happen.

The best way to not have Torpedo Launchers disabled is to not have them (i.e USN Cruisers).

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
3 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Do they though? The torps extending from the ship could be cosmetic and the hitbox could be static. That's a level of programming detail that is arguably unnecessary. 

Yes. They are not secondaries, so unchecking the 'animate small objects'  box will have no effect on the animation. Likewise, where you see the torpedo tube pointing is where they are aiming, and when they are stored, they are pointing either directly backwards(most IJN Cruisers) or forwards(two of Atago's torpedo launchers.

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
16 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

IJN equipped ships had that tendency to just blow up because of their Torpedoes. Some would just launch/jettison them just so that it does not happen.

The best way to not have Torpedo Launchers disabled is to not have them (i.e USN Cruisers).

It would still protect them better from shells that would have otherwise missed.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,729 posts
14 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

That's a myth, only one IJN ship had it's torpedoes explode on deck. And that was late war. 

There was one French ship that blew itself up with torpedoes, but that was self inflicted. They weren't looking and launched live fish on their own deck, with the predictable results.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
1 minute ago, Wombatmetal said:

That's a myth, only one IJN ship had it's torpedoes explode on deck. And that was late war. 

There was one French ship that blew itself up with torpedoes, but that was self inflicted. They weren't looking and launched live fish on their own deck, with the predictable results.

It's a myth for a reason.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,729 posts
Just now, Vangm94 said:

It's a myth for a reason.

There was only one instance of a torpedo blowing up on the deck of an IJN ship. That is not a tendency to blow up. The myth has no basis in fact.

And if you read Japanese Destroyer Commander by Captain Hara, who literally wrote the book on torpedo tactics for the IJN, he never mentioned launching torpedoes as a preventive measure.

Just didn't happen that way. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
4 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

There was only one instance of a torpedo blowing up on the deck of an IJN ship. That is not a tendency to blow up. The myth has no basis in fact.

And if you read Japanese Destroyer Commander by Captain Hara, who literally wrote the book on torpedo tactics for the IJN, he never mentioned launching torpedoes as a preventive measure.

Just didn't happen that way. 

There are also instances of depth charges blowing up too.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,414 posts
4,243 battles
17 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

The USN didn't think it was a myth when it removed them from it's BBs and cruisers. 

(There were actually proposals to re-mount torps on USN cruisers in late-war designs.  They were sacrificed for more AA and for the chance of damage, aircraft fires being a warning , apparently.)

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
3,729 posts
4 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

There are also instances of depth charges blowing up too.

There are, and that goes for all navies, I ran across that when researching torpedo detonations. Didn't write those down. 

But no IJN DD ever had a torpedo explode on deck. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
Just now, Wombatmetal said:

There are, and that goes for all navies, I ran across that when researching torpedo detonations. Didn't write those down. 

Sounds good to me

[WOLF9]
Members
9,414 posts
4,243 battles
13 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

There was only one instance of a torpedo blowing up on the deck of an IJN ship.

2 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Soo... which is it?  Oh, not a DD?

Edited by iDuckman

[NMKJT]
Members
3,729 posts
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

The USN didn't think it was a myth when it removed them from it's BBs and cruisers. 

(There were actually proposals to re-mount torps on USN cruisers in late-war designs.  They were sacrificed for more AA.)

That might be true, but it didn't bother the Japanese who had both torpedoes and quick reload magazines on deck (beautifully rendered in game on the Kami sisters I might add)

[NMKJT]
Members
3,729 posts
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Soo... which is it?  Oh, not a DD?

It was the Chokai, CA, in the battle off Samar. The liquid oxygen fuel blew up after a hit, knocking out the generator. Subsequently she was hit by an HE bomb from a TBF, and with no fire hoses as the electricity was out, burned to a hulk.

Edited by Wombatmetal

Members
3,042 posts
1,921 battles
6 hours ago, Wombatmetal said:

It was the Chokai, CA, in the battle off Samar. The liquid oxygen fuel blew up after a hit, knocking out the generator. Subsequently she was hit by an HE bomb from a TBF, and with no fire hoses as the electricity was out, burned to a hulk.

So it didn't actually BLOW UP the ship as everyone says.

Sign in to follow this